World Cup 2010

T 2 THA C

The end was nerve-racking, even watching on gamecast from work. I caught the first half on radio before I had a meeting, but that was worse than gamecast because JP De La Camera is a horrible play-by-play guy. He can't keep up or accurately convey what is going on, and he gets excited at the wrong times then fails to quickly let you know the outcome. I swear Algeria scored 5 first half goals according to the way he called it.

Anyway, that was an unbelievable ending. Bring on Ghana!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I'm afraid it's over for America. Still they made a good fist of it - I think they played much better than expected.

Moving on, the next match to watch is obviously Germany v England tomorrow. It should be interesting. They are longtime football rivals, at least from the English viewpoint. England has a roster of superstars like Rooney, but the German side is young and enormously disciplined. I've been informed that popular sentiment is on the side of Germany, but then who can say?

I'll also be looking forward tomorrow to Mexico v Argentina. Good luck Mexico!

Well I'm afraid it's over for America. Still they made a good fist of it - I think they played much better than expected.

Moving on, the next match to watch is obviously Germany v England tomorrow. It should be interesting. They are longtime football rivals, at least from the English viewpoint. England has a roster of superstars like Rooney, but the German side is young and enormously disciplined. I've been informed that popular sentiment is on the side of Germany, but then who can say?

I'll also be looking forward tomorrow to Mexico v Argentina. Good luck Mexico!

More like...moving on, it's baseball season. Damn the americans just couldn't play defense or pass worth a crap. I'm not seeing this as a very successful world cup for us. We won 1 game out of 4, and we were ahead for a total of 3 minutes the entire cup. That's not good. When our best players don't look on par with the best that Ghana can field, you know we're not putting a quality product out there. There's no reason a country like ours shouldn't field a team far superior than one like Ghana.

I might keep an eye on scores going forward, but probably won't watch much more. With today's result I see things playing out much like they did after the gold medal hockey game. No momentum maintained, back to the way everyone felt before about the sport.

Well I wouldn't stop watching just because America is out of it. The World Cup is still a fantastic tournament.

Then why don't we?

I agree, it's a great international tournament. But my interest declines greatly when we are out of it. I bet it's much the same in England right now. They are much more pissed off than they are worried about how Brazil is going to do in the next round. So now I'm just going to pull against European teams out of spite, since all my British co-workers are already way more pissed than we are about our results. Ha.

As for why don't we, for two reasons: 1) our best athletes don't play soccer, and it's not even close. There are many more options they choose before soccer, only the ones who are too small or can't hack it in the other ones end up as the soccer stars - in general. You can't tell me that Landon Donovan, as good as he is (though he wasn't yesterday) at his stature and physical make-up would be anywhere near as good as Adrian Peterson would be if they had the exact same training throughout their lives. 2) Our country doesn't care, so we don't have things like the Ajax academy in the Netherlands where kids are trained from age 5 to be soccer stars. Ours play in these suburban soccer-mom leagues where during the first few years they don't even keep score and declare everyone winners.

One thing they definitely need to fix before it gets beyond ridiculous is the refereeing. Apparently there were 2 more horrible calls today, one that took a goal away from England and one that gave one to Argentina that shouldn't have been. If baseball can get over their phobia of replay (not enough yet but it's a start), then they should absolutely have it in a tournament where people's lives are at stake (revenge, riots, idiotic fans).

One thing they definitely need to fix before it gets beyond ridiculous is the refereeing. Apparently there were 2 more horrible calls today, one that took a goal away from England and one that gave one to Argentina that shouldn't have been. If baseball can get over their phobia of replay (not enough yet but it's a start), then they should absolutely have it in a tournament where people's lives are at stake (revenge, riots, idiotic fans).

Agree 100%. The refereeing is atrocious. I just turned on the Argentina/Mexico match so I missed that mistaken call, but I did catch the obvious muff in the Germany/England match (disallowed goal). In both cases it won't change the outcome, but nonetheless FIFA needs to adopt the replay.

Mexico isn't having a happy time of it.

They are much more pissed off than they are worried about how Brazil is going to do in the next round. So now I'm just going to pull against European teams out of spite, since all my British co-workers are already way more pissed than we are about our results. Ha.

They oughtn't be pissed off. England didn't play as well, so deal with it. I'm glad at least that the bad call didn't end up costing them the match. If it had, there would never be an end to it.

As for why don't we, for two reasons: 1) our best athletes don't play soccer, and it's not even close. There are many more options they choose before soccer, only the ones who are too small or can't hack it in the other ones end up as the soccer stars - in general. You can't tell me that Landon Donovan, as good as he is (though he wasn't yesterday) at his stature and physical make-up would be anywhere near as good as Adrian Peterson would be if they had the exact same training throughout their lives. 2) Our country doesn't care, so we don't have things like the Ajax academy in the Netherlands where kids are trained from age 5 to be soccer stars. Ours play in these suburban soccer-mom leagues where during the first few years they don't even keep score and declare everyone winners.

it is all about interest.

I'm enthusiastic after watching the last USA match on Saturday. I decided to watch in a normal bar, instead of trying to go to Richmond Arms, or the like. I went to lucky's and it was packed. standing room only.

All across the USA bars were filled the same way, and homes were all watching the USA play soccer. commercials should have cost way more than SB commercials. and I'm sure they weren't, but someone is kicking themselves for not charging for those 15 minutes at halftime. it is only a matter of time before money in the USA is thrown at the game, that is when people will choose to play soccer rather than football or basketball. when that happens, we're going to have to spend a lot of money to make our stadium even bigger.

Anyway, I'm bullish on where soccer can go in USA.

oh yeah, and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLL Netherlands!!! yay!!!

• 2 weeks later...

And Spain takes it!

But is anyone in America still paying attention?

When it got to the final 8.. I started rooting against all the S. American teams..

Then when it got to the final 4.. I started rooting for David Villa and Spain.. so I'm happy with the result.

Game today was awful though.. boring, sloppy, dirty. The Germany/Uruguay game yesterday for 3rd was much more fun to watch.

After the first overtime period today.. I was hoping it would go to penalty kicks... I hadn't seen a game that ended that way yet.

And Spain takes it!

But is anyone in America still paying attention?

I've watched WAY more soccer than baseball this year, including the admittedly boring final today. I haven't watched a full inning of baseball in more than 2 years. And, after the LeBronathon the other day, the MBA is probably off my radar as well. I guess college football and basketball are all that's left for me (NFL is generally lame, too). Oh, well. They won't miss me. I'm way past the target market for Nike shoes and Under Armor.

Archived