C&D Hardware & Gifts At 314 E. 11th St.

ISMDAVID

I love the convenience of having our very own neighborhood hardware store - Many a trip to the big box store it has saved me!

I noticed today that the were chain link fencing in their store dumpster thats along the back of the building on Arlington Street-it caught me by surprise because that dumpster is located between the street and the sidewalk. Something tells me that its placemenet is not quite up to city code. As I drove around to the front entry I recognized that they were quite land locked on a place to put a dumpster like that as they dont really have another clear cut place for such a thing so I could understand it, but thought it wasnt the most neighborly thing to do.

Does the city normally regulate the placement of dumpsters so they arent quite so "in your face" or at least on your own property?

You can call 311 and file a complaint, a building inspector will then come out and nuke that fence and get the dumpster off of city property. It is an eyesore and is on the city Right of Way which is against a city ordinance.

I love the convenience of having our very own neighborhood hardware store - Many a trip to the big box store it has saved me!

I noticed today that the were chain link fencing in their store dumpster thats along the back of the building on Arlington Street-it caught me by surprise because that dumpster is located between the street and the sidewalk. Something tells me that its placemenet is not quite up to city code. As I drove around to the front entry I recognized that they were quite land locked on a place to put a dumpster like that as they dont really have another clear cut place for such a thing so I could understand it, but thought it wasnt the most neighborly thing to do.

Does the city normally regulate the placement of dumpsters so they arent quite so "in your face" or at least on your own property?

I lost all respect for the owner of C&D recently when I met the man dealt with one of his friends.

He (the owner) has little respect for those he doesn't have to deal with directly, and even has contempt for his customers. I found out that he actually pays about 40-50% of what other yards are paying for the same metal.

Call 311 and complain like mad, its not like he gives back to the community (Aside from HLSR) anyway.

Are we talking about 2 different places here - C&D the scrap metal place on 25th/Durham is what I think ricco means. C and D Hardware is on 11th. If these are run by the same people, I did not know that.

I think you're right.

This is why one shouldn't post on the backside of insomnia. :)

Still can't stand the C&D scrap metal.

How many pounds of scrap does it take to get $2? I would think lots.

Especially if he pays 40 to 50 percent less than other yards. Amazing that he stays in business.

He's been at it a good while. Remember when those kids were grade schoolers?

But back to the dumpster question.....isn't there a permit process for those?

Especially if he pays 40 to 50 percent less than other yards. Amazing that he stays in business.

He's been at it a good while. Remember when those kids were grade schoolers?

But back to the dumpster question.....isn't there a permit process for those?

Funny that you mentioned the permits as I then searched quickly online and found a link that specifically mentions that they were going to specifically enforce dumpster locations not being located in the city right of way ---this press release goes back in 2004.

http://www.houstontx.gov/solidwaste/press-dumpsterpermits.html

It appears that the permit application itself doesnt mention where the dumpster is to be located, but there would probably be an ordinance that outlines where they can be placed. However there is an interesting affidavit that looks to be required for the permit that spells out a few more legalities. http://www.houstontx.gov/solidwaste/dumpster-affidavit.pdf

I think you're right.

This is why one shouldn't post on the backside of insomnia. :)

Still can't stand the C&D scrap metal.

We live on 25th. One of our neighbors (bought in 2001) raised heck and is the reason C&D Scrap Metal is (apparently) more nieghborhood friendly than it used to be.

• The title was changed to C&D
  • The title was changed to C&D Hardware & Gifts At 314 E. 11th St.

Archived