The Cheifs Might Turn Their Backs To Kc?

houstonsemipro

Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt says that he's confident that Jackson County officials will figure something out so that the county doesn't default on their responsibilities outlined in their agreement with the Chiefs. He thinks something like a ticket tax or a parking tax for Arrowhead/Kaufman stadium events will help the county find those extra funds necessary to pay for the changes. However, even if they don't and the Chiefs decide that a change of venue is necessary, Hunt seemed to suggest that he'd more look to work out a deal with one of the other counties in the KC, MO/KA area than leave the market entirely.

I think Hunt makes a good profit off the Chiefs in that market both in ticket sales and merchandising. It's not all that profitable for NFL owners to move to larger markets because, unlike Major League Baseball, there are no individual rights to broadcast revenue from the local team. It's all revenue sharing amongst the 32 teams. The league wants a team in LA more than the individual owners want to move to LA, and for that very reason.

I think the Saints should leave and head to L.A. I mean come on now the owner of the Saints saied they sold over 26,000 tickets last season. That's really embrassing for an NFL team.

But, the Chiefs have a better chance on staying in KC, then the rest of the teams that's thinking about leaving.

^^^ Exactly. Arrowhead Stadium is still a very nice looking stadium asthetically, with very good sitelines and a modern diamond vision scoreboard. It just needs other upgrades (from an NFL owner's perspective) like more concessions, more bathrooms, some club seating and some more luxury boxes. I believe HOK (which designed both MMP and Reliant Stadium) designed Arrowhead and Giants Stadium back in the 70s.

I think the Saints should leave and head to L.A. I mean come on now the owner of the Saints saied they sold over 26,000 tickets last season. That's really embrassing for an NFL team.

But, the Chiefs have a better chance on staying in KC, then the rest of the teams that's thinking about leaving.

That was season ticket sales. Walk up traffic got them up over 64,000 per game, which is middle of the pack for the NFL. However, the big deal, as in all NFL stadiums, is the club and suite seating. That's where the big bucks are, and that is kept by the team owner. The Super Dome is old (1970s) and pre-club and suite days. That's why ole Tom Benson is not dancing with his parasol.

Question is, will, or can New Orleans pony up? Is the occasional Super Bowl worth it? Time will tell.

P.S. - New Orleans is the ONLY city that outranks Houston for a Super Bowl IMO.

Gary

Only in personal party preference, not facilities, organization, or any other criteria that may be important or valuable.

I love partying in that town.

Don't get me wrong. Red Scare kicks ass. But there's only one Super Bowl party that may have come to anything CLOSE to the party that was thrown on Main Street, and it was the Super Bowl where for the first time, the Game was played DURING Mardi Gras in New Orleans, and we STILL outdid them then. N.O.'s a GREAT party city, but H-Town outdid itself in 2004.

Agreed.

I think part of the attraction is that New Orleans was out of town. But, Houston's party was unreal. My office is on Main, above Live Sports Bar, and it was a riot looking down on the party.

I've got some pics from my window, if someone can give me that site for uploading pics.

Well, in terms of the thoroughfare block party, Main Street is actually bigger than Rue Bourbon and obviously Houston, in addition to having the same number of visitors on hand, more or less, for a SB has five times as many locals, so it isn't going to be that much of a surprise that a block party during SB week in Houston draws more than one on Bourbon Street.

As for season ticket sales... remember that New Orleans, though a charming city, is still dealing with the reality of a stagnant economy, so they aren't as able to spring for season tickets in mass like they can in many other large metropolitan areas.

I'll agree, though, that even in NO, the 26,000 figure is a bit of a disappointment. Of course, the Arizona Cardinals don't do that much better season-ticket wise, and they're in a burgeoning market in Phoenix. Of course, only making the post season four times in 50 years will turn fans off, too.

OK, it's good to see all the city pride out there, but it's pretty bold to try to compare Houston's Main Street to Bourbon Street.

No offense, but it's kinda like comparing NYNY in Vegas to NYNY itself.

Respect to this statement if you were refering to, like a regular party night.

But Super Bowl 2004 on Main Street? Sorry, but when it comes to Super Bowl parties, Bourbon had nothing compared to Main Street.

But also remember how much the city focused on that Weekend being Houston's come-out party. Bourbon's main Party focus is usually on Mardi Gras.