Western Union 2-Story Building

DMac

To get started, last evening I read a story about a (2 story) WU bldg. located @ the N/E corner of Capitol/Louisiana being encapsulated by the existing Bldg. now know as Bank of America. Can't hardly believe that tale as last year I walked thru the lobby twice and found no evidence of such.

Anyone in HAIF that was present @ the time of construction for the B of A Bldg. who maybe took photos of WU facility prior to & after being enclosed?

Anyone have any historical narratives as to WU in Houston w/particular emphasis on both the Capitol/Louisiana & Franklin/Main Bldg's + photos. Would like very much to view photos of both Bldg's.

This story is true. The large number of Telecom connections in the Western Union building made demolition and relocation cost-prohibitive. See the attached diagrams illustrating the location of the old Western Union building. The old building is in the upper right corner of the ground floor plan.

4507625025_83f09b8629_o.jpg

4507624935_cfbb8faa98_o.jpg

• Like 2

There is not much of anything left in the Western Union Building except for an old back up generator (too big to carry out the door).

Old timers say that because Western Union was located at the corner of Louisiana and Capitol this intersection became the point where all the wires met, both telegraph, phone, power, etc. This intersection remains diverse with telecom and power connectivty.

• 2 weeks later...

There is not much of anything left in the Western Union Building except for an old back up generator (too big to carry out the door).

Old timers say that because Western Union was located at the corner of Louisiana and Capitol this intersection became the point where all the wires met, both telegraph, phone, power, etc. This intersection remains diverse with telecom and power connectivty.

Does anyone have any photos of the former Western Union Bldg (620 Capitol) before it was encapsulated by the contractor of the existing B of A Bldg. x56 flrs?

Does anyone have any photos of the former Western Union Bldg (620 Capitol) before it was encapsulated by the contractor of the existing B of A Bldg. x56 flrs?

I've never seen any, but some worthwhile searches would be Republic Bank Plaza, Johnson Burgee and Hines.

To get started, last evening I read a story about a (2 story) WU bldg. located @ the N/E corner of Capitol/Louisiana being encapsulated by the existing Bldg. now know as Bank of America. Can't hardly believe that tale as last year I walked thru the lobby twice and found no evidence of such.

Anyone in HAIF that was present @ the time of construction for the B of A Bldg. who maybe took photos of WU facility prior to & after being enclosed?

Anyone have any historical narratives as to WU in Houston w/particular emphasis on both the Capitol/Louisiana & Franklin/Main Bldg's + photos. Would like very much to view photos of both Bldg's.

I'm having a tough time understanding how/why one would build over an existing Bldg. and then @ sum point in the future tear down or remove that Bldg. It just does not seem logical to me. Just thank of all the additional expense to do so.

• Like 1

Local legend has it that an influential person who had an office in Pennzoil Place didn't want his view obstructed, which partially influenced the shape of Republic Bank.

Another factor was the Western Union building. Due to the number of telegraph cables which would have had to be rerouted at great cost (in those pre-internet days), Western Union refused to sell. Instead, the banking hall portion of the building now completely engulfs this ugly little concrete block building, hidden in the northeast corner of the banking hall.

I worked across the street (at HL&P) and watched the construction of this building from start to finish. The amount of bracing that went into shoring up that corner of the building was quite an amazing engineering feat. That it works aesthetically as well is nearly miraculous.

Wish I had taken some photos, as I had about the best possible view of this construction site (5th floor window directly across the street.) I do recall that "Gerald Hines Interests" was painted in large letters on the south side of the WU building.

I found a small photo of the building on this page.

http://www.westernunionalumni.com/bldgs.htm

I saw this small photo earlier but was hoping that others showing complete Bldg. and maybe other Bldg's x the street or next door. I know in the past this site (HAIF) has been a most reliable source for older historic Bldg's in/about Houston. Keeping my fingers crossed that maybe sum additional photos may magically appear. Thanx for sharing what you found.

Would anyone be able to state for certainty the name of Bldg. or Bldg's. that occupied the block (Capitol/Rusk/Louisiana/Smith) that is now occupied by the massive 56 flr. B of A Bldg prior to its construction back in about '81 or '82?

• The title was changed to Western Union 2-Story Building