Want to purchase a bike

kdog08

I've decided I wanted to purchase a bike for recreation, exercise, and maybe as a commuting method. I wanted a bike that could ride well on street and trails around Houston. I checked out Bike Barn's website upon recommendations and was floored at the prices. I want a good, reliable bike but have been seeing a varying range of prices so I haven't gotten a handle on how much a bike would cost that would meet me needs. I was hoping some fellow HAIFers could give me some tips and point me in the right direction.

I got a decent quality hybrid for about $400 from bike barn... that was 4 years ago though. I imagine $35-400 is probably bottom range for a new hybrid these days

You could always check craigslist if that's too much.

It's good you're going entry level hybrid instead of road bike.. they'd be twice that new.

Bikes are too expensive, and I'm not really sure why...

High quality bikes are expensive. You get what you pay for though.

If basic transport is all that's necessary, then perhaps something like this would be more in line with meeting that need:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kent-26-Men-s-Glendale-CS-Dual-Suspension-Comfort-Bike/11992196

i found my bike on craigslist, but it was a mountain bike. its all about getting lucky on the size, but plenty of people are selling bikes only a few years old which knocks the price down quite a bit (i got a $400 trek for $225).

i'm starting to look into getting a hybrid as well. we're planning a bike trip in germany in the fall, not sure if i should buy something new here and take it with me, or rent on there...

ii'm starting to look into getting a hybrid as well. we're planning a bike trip in germany in the fall, not sure if i should buy something new here and take it with me, or rent on there...

Rent. Bikes are ubiquitous there and super inexpensive to rent. You may even be able to buy one there and sell it back before you leave. Either way, it'll probably cost you less than freight on getting a bike either delivered there or as additional luggage.

Rent. Bikes are ubiquitous there and super inexpensive to rent. You may even be able to buy one there and sell it back before you leave. Either way, it'll probably cost you less than freight on getting a bike either delivered there or as additional luggage.

That's what I was thinking at first, but after looking online, people who have done this before took their bikes, though they were more serious bikers than I. Also I have a friend coming who is 6'8" and serious, so he's not sure he'll be able to rent what he wants there.

I checked Continental and I could potentially check my bike for free (assuming I make the measurements, plus I'm platinum so that ups it weight wise at least). A quick look and it seems it'll be pricey on Lufthansa.

I really don't want to buy a new Hybrid bike right now, and my mountain bike would kill me. I'll have to figure out the thinnest tires I can put on it if renting isn't feasible.

We have lots of logistics to work out...

Ditto craigslist, but I would shop the bike shops first and try some things on until you know exactly what you want. Chances are it's for sale. The first time we bought bikes got them from bike barn, after those got stolen we both ended up getting bikes from craigslist that were a notch or two up the price/quality chain from our previous ones but a little less in price. Each was barely ridden, but you'd have to go check it out to know that.

I treat my mountain bike like a hybrid, it spends most of its time on the roads and hike/bike trails, but at least I am able to go try to injure myself on the trails at Memorial a few times a year.

I've bought quite a few bikes from craigslist and have had pretty good luck. a barely used Mt bike and a couple o' road bikes. You have to have patience and maybe join the RSS feed so you can see them as they are posted.

I had specific size Cannondales I was keeping my eye on, and finally after 4-5 months, I found what I was looking for.

Some bike shops have used bikes as well. Houston bicycle Co. in Montrose near Westheimer and Taft has used ones. Blue Line bikes in the heights has some too. Some pawn shops will have them but who knows if they're hot and they're general condition.

Otherwise new will always get you what you want when you want it. I still like the local bike shops: Houston Bicycle Co, Blue Line, Daniel Boone Cycles, and Bikesport near river oaks.

Good luck!

Archived