Recommendations for windshield replacement?

Can anyone recommend a preferred vendor for replacing car windshields?

A couple of years ago, I had the windshield replaced in my wife's Accord after it had gotten cracked, and the new one lasted about a month before falling victim to one of the many trucks on Houston freeways trailing gravel in its wake. I'm about ready to try again, but can't remember who I used to install the last one (although I think it may have been done at the dealer).

I'd like to use one of the vendors that will come to your house and do the work onsite. If location matters, I'm in the near Northside, close to the Heights.

I have used Affordable Auto Glass. They were fine. They came out to my office and replaced my glass without issue. Only used them once, so my recommendation is only as good as that.

Also, I have known others that have used The Crack Doctor. I have not personally used their services, but I was impressed when I called them. Originally, I had called to find out about windshield replacement because I thought the crack I had was too big ("bigger than a dollar bill"). The man at Crack Dr explained that they - and others - could actually fix cracks much bigger than that, but that the state used that size in its estimates of how much epoxy (or whatever) is used for a typical insurance claim. According to him, others won't fix cracks that are bigger because they make a smaller margin on them but they're all fixable.

Hope that helps.

Simbha

Archived