The Shops At Williams Trace Developments

swzine

Yesterday I was in home depot in Sugar Land and I saw a Big Lots sign in the back of a trailer being towed by a U-Haul. They had stopped into Home Depot to buy something.

About 10 minutes later I saw the truck parked by the street in front of the empty parking lot of the old Target building. There was a maintence guy out there doing something with the mounting posts on the street. I checked Big Lots website and i see that there are job postings for Sugar Land, but no Sugar Land location listed. I am 99% certain Big Lots is coming to Sugar Land and that it'll be in that old Target building. Right next to the Dollar store. Sugar Lands slums??? hehe..j/k

I love closeout stores like that, so I think it'll be pretty cool to get a Big Lots here. I drove near there today but forgot to look to see if there was a sign mounted. If it is coming, there is probably a sign on the street now. Anyway, for most people this is nothing, but since their nearest store is 13 miles, it's good to see them come to Sugar Land. Plus, most people would be happy just to see someone fill that large space.

• Like 1

Yeah,

Big Lots often takes older retail space and sets up their stores.

I wondered what will happen to Hwy 6 with all thoses abandoned retail locations because stores moved out to near the new US 59

I used to shop at Big Lots a lot when I was really poor. It's a great store if you need a little bit of everything. I would go once a month and find great bargains because they change the inventory all the time. I got an entire set of pots and pans for $5 once.

I like to keep an eye on stores like that because sometimes you'll find a really good deal on something. Anyway...I drove by today and the sign is mounted. Big Lots is definitely on the way to Sugar Land. I think there is still some empty space in that center though.

Well, this is good news. I've always wanted to check out one of these stores.

Oh, and about the "Sugar Land Slums" comment..that may be partially ture, because the neighborhood behind the center is filled with many older, cheaper homes. The area is not "ghetto", though, but...it exudes a certain "oldness".

Well, this is good news.  I've always wanted to check out one of these stores.

Oh, and about the "Sugar Land Slums" comment..that may be partially ture, because the neighborhood behind the center is filled with many older, cheaper homes.  The area is not "ghetto", though, but...it exudes a certain "oldness".

Yeah, I was just joking about that because it's the oldest and most run down looking shopping center in the city that I know of. And now the two anchors are a dollar store and a closeout discount store.

You know, the one thing I have to say about this area in general is that the houses have a thrown together feeling. I'm from Philadelphia, and even in the suburbs a 50-100 year old house looks nice. But here, a 10-15 year old house has an old, run down appearence. I don't know exactly what it is (and hopefully some of you experts can educate me) but the houses out here just don't wear the same. I almost would assume that it's some kind of sub-prime construction with a goal of just spitting out houses as quickly as possible. Anyone else notice this or feel that way?

You know, the one thing I have to say about this area in general is that the houses have a thrown together feeling. I'm from Philadelphia, and even in the suburbs a 50-100 year old house looks nice. But here, a 10-15 year old house has an old, run down appearence. I don't know exactly what it is (and hopefully some of you experts can educate me) but the houses out here just don't wear the same. I almost would assume that it's some kind of sub-prime construction with a goal of just spitting out houses as quickly as possible. Anyone else notice this or feel that way?

I really don't think you can generalize about the appearance of older houses in different cities. There are plenty of rundown looking suburbs in Philadelphia, as well as other cities. It depends on ititial build quality and other factors like the demographics of the neighborhood over time, but I don't see geographic region really being a material factor.

I really don't think you can generalize about the appearance of older houses in different cities.  There are plenty of rundown looking suburbs in Philadelphia, as well as other cities.  It depends on ititial build quality and other factors like the demographics of the neighborhood over time, but I don't see geographic region really being a material factor.

My point is that a 10-20 year old houses are relatively new, but seem to look worn out a lot sooner here. When I think of a rundown area back at home I picture much older neighborhoods than what I see here. It's just an observation.

• The title was changed to The Shops At Williams Trace Developments