Washington DC tax on plastic bags began Jan 1

ANWR's ugly and devoid of recreational activity? Respectfully, I disagree with that. It's uninhabited (by people) certainly, but it's hardly ugly or devoid of recreational activity.

Actually, I should specify that I am referring to the North Slope of ANWR, which basically looks like southern Brazoria, Matagorda, or Wharton counties, except that there's no prime farmland, even fewer people, less biological diversity...but probably bigger mosquitoes. The photos you've seen on TV or in print media are typically of the mountainous parts of ANWR, where recreational opportunities are somewhat better (in the brief summer season).

ANWR_ChrisCoastalPlain2.jpg

ANWR_NorthSlope.jpg

ANWR_NorthSlope2.jpg

Applying the logic used by jgriff in this thread, I find my comments to be imminently fair.

I just scanned through his comments, but from what I read, you were somewhat provocative and he was being level-headed. It's not as though his point was that it's OK to run down bicyclers, like you see on the chron.com forums. So yeah, I stand by my assertion that your comments about him are unwarranted.

Rhetorically speaking...

jgriff is well known on this forum for not giving a about the plights or concerns of others. Could someone or griff please explain why we should now care about his employment, especially when his unemployment may improve our enjoyment of the great outdoors?

Aside to Niche: Aren't you the guy who wrote a long-winded recap of your several week kayak ride down one of Texas' great waterways?

Red:

Take it easy. I don't seriously expect that environmental policy should be decided based on if I have a job or not.

I finally had to leave that bike thread because you were intolerant of my point of view. I'm not going to argue with you about the fact that riding bikes in the street is dangerous again. I'm not going to argue anything with you ever again. I find conversations with you a waste of my time.

I just request that you not insult me for not agreeing with you.

I'm putting you on my ignore list now. Goodbye....

I just scanned through his comments, but from what I read, you were somewhat provocative and he was being level-headed. It's not as though his point was that it's OK to run down bicyclers, like you see on the chron.com forums. So yeah, I stand by my assertion that your comments about him are unwarranted.

Hey, it's not as if I want him to lose his job building plants that befoul the environment. Hopefully, he and the other very intelligent engineers at his firm would move toward building plants for products that IMPROVE the environment.

It IS interesting that when I comment that I am unconcerned about factors conspiring against HIM, it is terribly unfair and unwarranted, yet his unconcern for others is not. I think a case could be made that this is kharma.

FWIW, I am still intolerant of his point of view in the other thread, even if I support his right to have it.

Hey, it's not as if I want him to lose his job building plants that befoul the environment. Hopefully, he and the other very intelligent engineers at his firm would move toward building plants for products that IMPROVE the environment.

It IS interesting that when I comment that I am unconcerned about factors conspiring against HIM, it is terribly unfair and unwarranted, yet his unconcern for others is not. I think a case could be made that this is kharma.

FWIW, I am still intolerant of his point of view in the other thread, even if I support his right to have it.

Since engineers don't exercise influence over what kinds of products are produced by refiners or ultimately demanded by other firms or the government or consumers, I don't really see that your hopes are especially well grounded. You may as well be one of those SSP built-it-now-build-it-bigger-build-it-denser creeps that suggests that the solution to home builders going out of business is that they need to start developing more high rise apartments in more urban settings...but (apart from the high school contingent, possibly) I don't think that even they could be so asinine.

And I'm still not sure what you're talking about when you describe his points of view as lacking concern for others.

And I'm still not sure what you're talking about when you describe his points of view as lacking concern for others.

So if you got one bicyclist on a street and he's slowing down 50 vehicles for two minutes each which one is selfish?

It's the implication that his needs are greater than anyone else's needs, which considering now he asked others to consider his job (though only in jest), it can appear as a hypocrisy. It's a strained and probably overwrought interpretation of this one little quip, but I've witnessed you harp on less. Continuing down this line will just lead you both to calling each other black, if you're pickin' up what I'm puttin' down.

Anyhow... I've got some great photos of river and stream beds from developing countries. If anything, our collective anti-litter campaigns and trash collection measures have made our visible garbage output virtually nil in comparison to those places. I have strong doubts the US is even close to being any more than a fraction of a percent of a contributor to the Pacific bag island - this, despite our level of consumption. ANWR's a different story. I don't remember ever seeing a plastic bag in ANWR. Alaska as a whole is pretty clean. Trails close to city centers have risidual garbage residue, but even that's insignificant. And, ANWR is so unimaginably huge, and the footprint of oil rigs are so small, I also honestly think the arguments made against drilling there are overstated. However, if we just said we don't want drilling there because the land, though visibly dull, is pristine and as yet unmarred by human contact, all the radical lassaiz-faire capitalists would start crying. And, that's just sad. No one likes seeing a crying capitalist.

Edited by AtticaFlinch

The device shown in the photo is performing as intended. That's how the bayou shores in Memorial Park seem so pristine and remote.

So... it's OK to throw garbage in the bayou since there's a boom to catch it? Great! Where can I back up this BFI dumpster?

• Like 2

So... it's OK to throw garbage in the bayou since there's a boom to catch it? Great! Where can I back up this BFI dumpster?

No, I haven't been arguing that it's OK to litter. Just that it's unnecessary or perhaps shortsighted to add a tax to plastic bags specifically intended to carry a food item as opposed to general merchandise. Simple mitigation techniques are effective enough for our circumstances given the existing policy environment.

No, I haven't been arguing that it's OK to litter. Just that it's unnecessary or perhaps shortsighted to add a tax to plastic bags specifically intended to carry a food item as opposed to general merchandise. Simple mitigation techniques are effective enough for our circumstances given the existing policy environment.

I didn't realize it was a tax on grocery bags only. Yeah, that's pretty dumb. Tax all the plastic bags or don't. Or better -- just ban them and make Houston a nicer looking place to live.

Do you guys mean agronomist?

You Guys, ( Me ) [ Hanuman, spelling: A / AtticaFlinch, Spelling: D ] got it right the first time ( See my preceding post ), which made sense the first time...

Return to subject matter - plastic, paper, or reusababble ( I thought that was really clever... damn! May have created a new word )

You Guys, ( Me ) [ Hanuman, spelling: A / AtticaFlinch, Spelling: D ] got it right the first time ( See my preceding post ), which made sense the first time...

Return to subject matter - plastic, paper, or reusababble ( I thought that was really clever... damn! May have created a new word )

The red squiggly line under the word should have clued me in, but well... I'm an idiot.

By the way, I right clicked and added "reusababble" to my browser's dictionary, so as far as the Flinch computer is concerned, it's a real word now.

The red squiggly line under the word should have clued me in, but well... I'm an idiot.

By the way, I right clicked and added "reusababble" to my browser's dictionary, so as far as the Flinch computer is concerned, it's a real word now.

I expect to see, reusababble used many times herein, just scroll me credit occassionally. I really believe that Red could get more mileage out of it than anyone, being our legal eagle and all.

Red...?

But why? Tobacco is the good part of the smoke. I mean, cigarettes are nasty, but cigars and pipes can taste great. I never understood the appeal of cigarettes. If you want tobacco so bad, do it right and do it less often. Cigarette addiction is the equivalent of drinking tons of bud light. Nasty. I choose quality over quantity.

EDIT: Hanuman tricked me into posting in the wrong thread with his mention of electronic cigarettes. Oh well.

Edited by 20thStDad

But why? Tobacco is the good part of the smoke. I mean, cigarettes are nasty, but cigars and pipes can taste great. I never understood the appeal of cigarettes. If you want tobacco so bad, do it right and do it less often. Cigarette addiction is the equivalent of drinking tons of bud light. Nasty. I choose quality over quantity.

EDIT: Hanuman tricked me into posting in the wrong thread with his mention of electronic cigarettes. Oh well.

Thus my name, 20th!