Is There A Mod Buried In Here?

jm1fd

Hi,

I've been lurking around this board for awhile, but first time that I've commented. I called the listing agent to see what the O'keefe & Merrit might go for. She said $900+ for the stove and $500 for the refrigerator. Those are ridiculous prices for appliances that aren't in refurbished or restored condition. For those who might not know, the fridge is a Philco, which was manufactured by the Philco Company out of, you guessed it, Philidelphia. I managed to snag an O&M for $100 out of Conroe, and a Philco almost identical to the one in the picture for FREE! My only immediate expense for the fridge is that I have to get it shipped out of Detroit, MI. I found it on craigslist.org(this has got to be one of the best sites online). If anyone stumbles across 50's era appliances that they want to part for with for cheap, let me know(vtran265@houston.rr.com). Here's a link to my seafoam green Philco that is currently in my kitchen:

threequarter.jpg

front.jpg

BTW, I'm in Timbergrove and they are building 40 new homes in an extremely small area over here at Prince and 12th. They really went to town on it today digging up all of the sewer lines and etc. I saw the plans for the homes and they are F*gly. Their web address is khovurban.com

Apologies in advance for changing the subject matter.

Cheers,

Victor

Guest danax
Hi,

If anyone stumbles across 50's era appliances that they want to part for with for cheap, let me know(vtran265@houston.rr.com). Here's a link to my seafoam green Philco that is currently in my kitchen:

BTW, I'm in Timbergrove and they are building 40 new homes in an extremely small area over here at Prince and 12th. They really went to town on it today digging up all of the sewer lines and etc. I saw the plans for the homes and they are F*gly. Their web address is khovurban.com

Apologies in advance for changing the subject matter.

Cheers,

Victor

Great fridge, Victor. My parents still have a rounded one like that out in their garage but not turquiose. I could've hooked you up with a bunch of turquoise washers, dryers and stoves last year. I have a friend that lives in an apartment complex on Braeswood which had a fire destroy one building. They gutted it and rebuilt and I saw about 20 of these appliances stored in back. My friend said the manager was going to junk them. Before I could do something, they were gone.

Oh, and I think I know some of the units you're talking about in Timbergrove. I saw one street over there with these skinny patio homes on this little alley of a street. The street being so narrow, the way they all face each other and are identical makes it look like they're about to pull out there muskets and have an old fashioned battle. Just seems a little too tight in there. I wanted to take a picture and post it here but couldn't find the street again.

Sometimes I think they take this townhouse trend a tad too far.

Danax,

They have built a few homes off of Nashua and Prince between 13th and 14th Street. That whole area will be the Barrio no more. If you drive North on TC Jester and take TC Jester East you will pass a ton of new homes being built there around 16th thru 18th Street. A lot of homes on a relatively tiny parcel of land. They don't look too bad, since I like their color palette, but they are very cookie cutter. I should be the last to say this, because the postwar home I bought on Prince St. is a slight variant of the same design used throughout the street.

Back to the thread subject, I think the house from the exterior looks like a mod that was squished from the sides(if you are looking at the front door). I'm guessing the kitchen is in the back because the ceiling slopes down towards the back and the front has an elevated face. Maybe the architect loved mod, but the client didn't have enough money to fulfill an original design. Just wild speculation on my part.

Victor

Archived