The House of the Century

Croberts

Looks like Bing has added birds-eyes down to the House of the Century, but only just. Not all views are visible. It was being weird for me but I was able to get a good look at it.

Start here and move around.

VERY nice Marmer! Looks as if someone is keeping the grounds nicely. The lake appears to be an old series of sandpits. If it was the house of the century, I wonder why they didn't think about flooding, and simply elevate it? I'm sure the owners have enough money already, but it would be really cool if they cut a road, and small parking area around it, and charged admission to see it, and give the history, etc. I would pay to see it, and get the scoop on it.

Always great posts!

• 2 weeks later...

To those of you who don't "get" the House of the Century, let me reiterate what I said in an earlier post:

Watching the YouTube videos about the house, it's clear that the Ant Farm Collective was way ahead of its time. They took pictures and films of the whole process, building the house was as much performance art as architecture. In some ways, I think it was always meant to be an artistic statement, a sculpture, as much or more than a house. That only fascinates me more. Just as many mod fans wax nostalgically about the 50's and 60's vibe that MCM's generate, this house to me evokes the time period post Vietnam era, where the "hippies" were struggling to make a new future. I happened to be in high school/college during that time frame so it really stands out for me.

This house may not be your style...hell it really wasn't practical for anything...but it's got pedigre (famous/infamous art/architecture designers), history documented by pictures, video, and now a movie, ownership by someone fairly prominent. All those things make it important whether its aesthetics appeal to you or not. I agree with another poster that if the owner decided to offer tours of it, it would become quite an attraction.

• 9 months later...
  • 8 years later...
On 7/20/2009 at 2:07 PM, sheeats said:

My friend Brittanie Shey wrote an amazing article about the "House of the Century" today:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/2009/07/texas_traveler_angletons_myste.php

I had no idea it even existed. Looks like very few people do. This photo gallery is fascinating:

http://www.narrowlarry.com/nltx6.html

Has anyone been out to it? I'm seriously contemplating a little road trip out there now...landmines and barbed wire or not.

I dont know about any land mines but my mother was a caretaker back in the 80s when I was a child and them me and my brother visited out there in the mid 90s and no one was there. We didnt see any barbed wire then. The place was awesome back in the day. It does exist and I dont know the extent of the interior damage this is news to me. I also know it was never called kongo loco or whatever. It was called MOJO lake for the sisters marilyn and judy oshmans owners of oshmans sporting goods. That's why you cant find the lake on a map it's not an official lake. This relic house was Marilyn's and Judy had another house across  from it not like that tho. It was nice and more country. The front of it was all windows and one of the couches had a stuffed cow  with it's back toward the window so when you walked on the deck it looked like a live cow sitting in living room

Archived