Houston Permitting Center At 1002 Washington Ave.

gto250us

There are at least 3 new projects underway in the Washington - Police Station Area. They include:

1. Work on the large redbrick warehouse next (west) of the Amtrak station. A failed effort was made to "loft" this building. They have removed the windows and are demoing the interior.

2. Demo of the building at the "point" of Washington and Preston.

3. New construction in the area immediately west of the old Police Property warehouse. The design of the new property building looks like it should connect to a similar building on the site of the old warehouse. Does anyone know if there are plans to do just that.

Anyone know what is going on here?

There are at least 3 new projects underway in the Washington - Police Station Area. They include:

1. Work on the large redbrick warehouse next (west) of the Amtrak station. A failed effort was made to "loft" this building. They have removed the windows and are demoing the interior.

2. Demo of the building at the "point" of Washington and Preston.

3. New construction in the area immediately west of the old Police Property warehouse. The design of the new property building looks like it should connect to a similar building on the site of the old warehouse. Does anyone know if there are plans to do just that.

Anyone know what is going on here?

#3 is an expansion of Trinity Lutheran Church at the corner of Washington and Houston Ave.

<br />#1 may be prep demo work for the City of Houston's new permit office.  There is a thread here somewhere about it.  Don't know if that is the building that you are describing, though.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I believe that this is correct. The address for the new permit office is 1002 Washington Ave. There are DD drawings on this project and I would expect that construction would start soon.

<br /><br /><br />

I believe that this is correct. The address for the new permit office is 1002 Washington Ave. There are DD drawings on this project and I would expect that construction would start soon.

Yep you are correct. They will refit the building rather than build new. See the link below.

Houston Biz Journal -

• 1 year later...

Also from my window, I have noticed over the past couple of monthes another cleared site along the north side of lower Washington Ave where it splits towards downtown and becomes Preston St. There's also a large 4-5 storey concrete warehouse (visable from 45N) that looks to have been renovated during the early part of this year that looks to be part of the development. Here's a google street view.

Is this another city owned property for sale?

I'll post a pic later tonight.

Looks like that will be a parking lot for the aforesaid Code Enforcement building. Or, perhaps some added space in the form of new construction. I believe that there is parking on the other side of the building, so I don't know if they need this for parking or not.

On second thought, the other parking lot is for the Amtrak station, so this is almost surely parking for Code Enforcement.

• 4 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Houston Permitting Center: Office On Washington Ave.
  • The title was changed to Houston Permitting Center At 1002 Washington Ave.