Out of State Speeding Ticket

On a recent vacation I was caught in a speed trap in New Mexico, and ticketed for doing 60 in a 45 zone. I was actually doing 55, but I wasn't going to argue with the cop on the street. The fine is $80.

Question: What happens if I just ignore this out-of-state ticket? Would Texas cops know that I have an outstanding unpaid ticket in New Mexico? Would it get me arrested some day when pulled over for a ticket in Texas?

Please spare me your moralizing about accepting responsibility for my actions. If you can provide info on how the police may share interstate info and enforcement, it would be greatly appreciated.

Yeah, I'll probably end up paying it, but I'm just curious.

I still wonder if the cops in Boston are after me for the parking ticket I received there in the 1980's...

In our govt class back in High School... we were told you could ignore it. But... you should avoid driving through that state in the future. Because you may have a warrant out for your arrest. This was before states shared information.

Now it appears that ~45 states have agreements to share such violations with each other. Surely Texas would not be a member of such a pact, right? Wrong.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_happens_if_you_do_not_pay_a_speeding_ticket_from_another_state

In addition, if the other state belongs to The Nonresident Violator Compact. Presently it consists of 44 states and the District of Columbia. States not included are Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon and Wisconsin. Among certain rights accorded to nonresident's it requires drivers to fulfill the terms of traffic citations received in member states or face the possibility of license suspension in their home state.

You would be a non-resident VIOLATOR and may end up getting your license suspended in Texas...

Bryan is generally correct, except that they probably would not suspend your license (since you haven't pled Guilty yet). Instead, the DPS will block the renewal of your driver license and possibly your auto registration. The block would not be lifted until New Mexico notifies Texas that the matter has been settled, either by trial or paying the ticket.

Back in 1990, I got a ticket for doing 96 in a minivan in Kansas (yes, a minivan). Since I never intended to return, I blew it off and never heard about it again. Those days are pretty much long gone.

Back in 1990, I got a ticket for doing 96 in a minivan in Kansas (yes, a minivan). Since I never intended to return, I blew it off and never heard about it again. Those days are pretty much long gone.

Well, it was Kansas, so I guess the cop didn't notice that you were transporting a minivan full of undocumented Venezuelan models and untaxed cigarettes across state lines. Lucky, huh?

Kidding, of course. :) Welcome back.

Bryan is generally correct, except that they probably would not suspend your license (since you haven't pled Guilty yet). Instead, the DPS will block the renewal of your driver license and possibly your auto registration. The block would not be lifted until New Mexico notifies Texas that the matter has been settled, either by trial or paying the ticket.

Of course, now I'm curious as to what would have made you do 96 in a minivan in kansas of all places.

I have visions of you in a tricked out VW trailing smoke for some reason.

Of course, now I'm curious as to what would have made you do 96 in a minivan in kansas of all places.

I have visions of you in a tricked out VW trailing smoke for some reason.

If you ever have to drive across Kansas or any other Great Plains state you'll realize that doing 96 seems like you're not even moving. What I'm curious about is how Red got 96mph out of a minvan. The best I've been able to do in an minivan is about 90 and even then it felt like it was going to flip at any moment.

If you ever have to drive across Kansas or any other Great Plains state you'll realize that doing 96 seems like you're not even moving. What I'm curious about is how Red got 96mph out of a minvan. The best I've been able to do in an minivan is about 90 and even then it felt like it was going to flip at any moment.

One of life's great mysteries. A group of us drove to Colorado to go skiing. On the way back, I was trying to get across that godforsaken flatland as quickly as possible. We were all marveling at the fact that a minivan could do 105 mph (clocked before the trooper clocked me), and as we crossed the stateline into Kansas at Goodland, the trooper was sitting there. That has always annoyed me for some reason, even though speeding just across state lines is just as illegal as speeding in the interior. The funny part was that I didn't act the least bit surprised when the trooper approached my window, and he wasn't the least bit upset that I was driving 96 mph on his highway. You'd have thought he was writing me up for an expired inspection sticker.

One of life's great mysteries. A group of us drove to Colorado to go skiing. On the way back, I was trying to get across that godforsaken flatland as quickly as possible. We were all marveling at the fact that a minivan could do 105 mph (clocked before the trooper clocked me), and as we crossed the stateline into Kansas at Goodland, the trooper was sitting there. That has always annoyed me for some reason, even though speeding just across state lines is just as illegal as speeding in the interior. The funny part was that I didn't act the least bit surprised when the trooper approached my window, and he wasn't the least bit upset that I was driving 96 mph on his highway. You'd have thought he was writing me up for an expired inspection sticker.

More than likely the trooper was exhausted from laughing so hard, that you were actually doing 96mph in that grocery getter, he simply couldn't muster enough strength to show his astonishment of your accomplishment. So, he just came off as ho-hum aboutt he whole situation. The trooper knew that if he told you that you were doing 96, then that would be grounds for denial as we are talking about a MINIVAN here ?!?!?! ;P

Oh...btw, John Rich..........just like the Beretta theme goes....."Don't do the crime....if you can't do the time.....YEEEEEEAAAAAHHHHHHH !!!"

Edited by TJones

One of life's great mysteries. A group of us drove to Colorado to go skiing. On the way back, I was trying to get across that godforsaken flatland as quickly as possible.

Well, there's your answer. The coupla times I've driven across Kansas I've been blown away (almost literally) by the strong western wind, especially in the western part of the state. Eastbound, with that flat back hatch on the minivan, you were sailing like a clipper ship! You could have put it in neutral and turned the engine off and still been going close to 65!

Funny but brief story: I once had a friend (geeky Rice engineering major) beat a ticket by convincing the judge that the vehicle he was driving (~1970 International Travelall) was physically incapable of reaching the speed he was ticketed for. Don't remember how, exactly. I think it had to do with gear ratios and engine speed and wind resistance or something.

Of course I wouldn't recommend that approach for everybody. :)

Welcome back, Red.

Now it appears that ~45 states have agreements to share such violations with each other. Surely Texas would not be a member of such a pact, right? Wrong.

http://wiki.answers....m_another_state

In addition, if the other state belongs to The Nonresident Violator Compact. Presently it consists of 44 states and the District of Columbia. States not included are Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon and Wisconsin. Among certain rights accorded to nonresident's it requires drivers to fulfill the terms of traffic citations received in member states or face the possibility of license suspension in their home state.

You would be a non-resident VIOLATOR and may end up getting your license suspended in Texas...

Thank you, Bryan, for that great info. I have never heard of this interstate pact before.

It sounds like I should pay-up to avoid further trouble in the future.

Check your ticket to see if they offer a way to pay and keep if off of your driving record. I got a ticket in Wyoming one time and just paid it, and it now shows up on my record as a speeding ticket in New Jersey. It's too long ago to affect my insurance so I haven't bothered to contest that.