Houston Sighting: House Hunters

editor

True, especially since that new law limiting outdoor entertaining in Houston to the months of July and August was passed.

Lol...my point was that San Diego has nearly perfect outdoor entertaining weather all year round. It rarely gets very hot or cold there, the humidity is lower and they get more days of sunshine than we do...plus no hurricanes. I suspect they have fewer bug problems, too.

Lol...my point was that San Diego has nearly perfect outdoor entertaining weather all year round. It rarely gets very hot or cold there, the humidity is lower and they get more days of sunshine than we do...plus no hurricanes. I suspect they have fewer bug problems, too.

Oh yeah, those hurricanes really impact my outdoor entertaining. There was that one in 1983, and of course, that one in 2008. It's enough to make me give up outdoor entertaining altogether.

Oh yeah, those hurricanes really impact my outdoor entertaining. There was that one in 1983, and of course, that one in 2008. It's enough to make me give up outdoor entertaining altogether.

I'm not saying you can't entertain outdoors here, quite the contrary. However, if there is one place on earth that has a better environment for outdoor entertaining than Houston it's San Diego.

I think I read somewhere (Television without Pity, maybe?) that most of the House Hunters episodes are filmed when the buyers are already closing on a property. So the realtor is pretending to show them around, and they are pretending to be interested. I'm not sure if that's true, but if it is, it explains quite a bit.

My favorite recent one was a young guy looking for a condo in Vancouver and the real estate agent was just ALL OVER him, flirting, innuendo, the works. Definitely added a little spice to the otherwise boring condo parade.

I think I read somewhere (Television without Pity, maybe?) that most of the House Hunters episodes are filmed when the buyers are already closing on a property. So the realtor is pretending to show them around, and they are pretending to be interested. I'm not sure if that's true, but if it is, it explains quite a bit.

That would make so much more sense than actually expecting HGTV to have me believe that they could find suckers that would pick from one of three crappy choices in each episode.

I'm not saying you can't entertain outdoors here, quite the contrary. However, if there is one place on earth that has a better environment for outdoor entertaining than Houston it's San Diego.

Too bad they don't have any idea as to how to properly barbecue in San Diego. You won't get positive results when you put an avocado salad on the smoker.

Oh man.. I just watched the Houston episode. I'm not sure which made me more sick, the whiter than white guy talking about grilling his carne asada, or the ditz yammering on about the 1920's.

The third house was nice, but how as a young couple expecting to host parties you could pass on a backyard is just crazy! They should have chose the second house.

Oh man.. I just watched the Houston episode. I'm not sure which made me more sick, the whiter than white guy talking about grilling his carne asada, or the ditz yammering on about the 1920's.

The third house was nice, but how as a young couple expecting to host parties you could pass on a backyard is just crazy! They should have chose the second house.

...all the while complaining about the old fixtures in the first two houses. Guess she wanted all that '20's charm w/o the '20's fixtures.

That's correct. They are supposed to either be closing or have already closed on the home. The two decoy homes are just ones that happen to be for sale at the time of filming. That would explain the abundance of (1) furniture "included in the deal," and (2) why you can't believe they chose the worst home of the bunch (because the better ones weren't on the market at the time they signed the contract!).

• 1 month later...

That's correct. They are supposed to either be closing or have already closed on the home. The two decoy homes are just ones that happen to be for sale at the time of filming. That would explain the abundance of (1) furniture "included in the deal," and (2) why you can't believe they chose the worst home of the bunch (because the better ones weren't on the market at the time they signed the contract!).

Something to consider when watching House Hunters is that when they show the folks going through the various houses and making comments, they have actually ALREADY decided on the house they want or have already closed on the one of the homes. It's not as if they looked at only 3 homes and chose 1 house amongst the 3. They probably looked at many homes and for some reason these 3 made the best combination to show during the show or were still available to go back to, to tape the wandering through parts. So a lot of the comments/objections/criticisms they make are just to throw the viewer off as to which house they actually chose. So a lot of the comments will be contradictory from one house to the other vs the comments on what they want during the show opener. Or they will say stuff to make their ultimate decision seem best suited for them.

My favorite recent one was a young guy looking for a condo in Vancouver and the real estate agent was just ALL OVER him, flirting, innuendo, the works. Definitely added a little spice to the otherwise boring condo parade.

That also explains the really bad acting.

Archived