The HAIF/Alcohol Paradox

Alcohol use has generally yielded good results, career-wise.

I wonder if the same would hold true in a place like Salt Lake City. Houston has a reputation for being a conservative, backwards place filled to the brim with teatotaling Southern Baptists, but anybody in any position of sales, marketing or finance will tell you that's just not the case. I think the reality is many people tell their preachers they don't drink when in fact they drink socially. Either that, or there are far fewer Southern Baptists than I previously thought in the city.

I wonder if the same would hold true in a place like Salt Lake City. Houston has a reputation for being a conservative, backwards place filled to the brim with teatotaling Southern Baptists, but anybody in any position of sales, marketing or finance will tell you that's just not the case. I think the reality is many people tell their preachers they don't drink when in fact they drink socially. Either that, or there are far fewer Southern Baptists than I previously thought in the city.

Southern Baptists? Teatotalers? Ha! I've got an uncle once-removed that teaches sunday school at a Southern Baptist church; he's a nudist alcoholic.

OK, I have another question: do you usually drink at home, at parties, or at a bar/nightclub?

I'm 31 with 1.5 kids, I don't know what parties or bar/nightclubs are. I drink at home by myself after all the ladies pass out, and on business trips.

Archived