Jeppesen Gymnasium/Jeppesen Fieldhouse/Robertson Stadium At 3874 Holman St.

Brian Reading

The rumor is that U of H is going to demolish the stadium and build a new "super stadium" (w/a new parking garage) in its place.

U of H needs to construct more winning seasons first. Only then will this plan make sense. Otherwise it will be like Rice Stadium -- a "super stadium" that is always empty.

Edit: They should also sell out the stadium for at least a few years. At a certain point they can make the students pay for tickets (instead of just getting in free w/an ID) and see if the attendance keeps up.

Edited by N Judah

The idea isn't to create a giant stadium. It's to create a nicer stadium with better amenities and slightly more seats to impress recruits, retain coaches, and position themselves for the next conference re-alignment.

Anyone who's actually been to Robertson knows that the seats and sight lines are great, but the amenities are severely lacking. We're talking about a 75 year old WPA project here. When the football team moved back to campus from the Dome, they never intended on keeping Robertson the way it was. They've made some improvements, but it's time for the next iteration of upgrades.

U of H needs to construct more winning seasons first. Only then will this plan make sense. Otherwise it will be like Rice Stadium -- a "super stadium" that is always empty.

Or like the Dallas Cowboys' new stadium.

Edited by UrbaNerd

PROBABLY PART OF THE STADIUM NOW KNOWN AS ROBERTSON...............HISD USED THAT STADIUM UNTIL LATE 70'2 EARLY 80'S...........IT BELONGED TO U OF H IN THE FIRST PLACE........THEY TOOK IT BACK AND REFURBISHED IT....IT WAS ALSO THE ORIGINATING STADIUM FOR THE HOUSTON OILERS..........GREAT FOR FOOTBALL

In high school, we used to go to the Jeppesen Fieldhouse pretty often. We would go and watch the Cougar freshman team play to a packed house, and then usually left with most of the crowd when the varsity came out. Houston didn't have a great team that year, but there was a pretty good freshman then who went by the name “Big E”.

I went to countless Oilers games at Jeppesen. Got to watch Billy Cannon use his stiffarm. Thing is, he used it on a kid.

We used to line up at one end of the field before the end of the game to get autographs of players as they left the field. Cannon never would sign autographs that I can remember, and one time he brushed a kid aside who stood in his path as he ran past and the kid fell down. He didn't really stiffarm the kid, but that's the way I like to tell the story because I never could stand that conceited bastard after that day.

The first football game I saw at Jeppesen was in 1958 when the Lions and Steelers played an exhibition game there. It was a test to see if pro football could draw a crowd in Houston. What's odd is that I appreciated the game much more in later years than I did at the time (I was 10) because I got to see Bobby Laine play quarterback.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Jeppesen Gymnasium/Jeppesen Fieldhouse/Robertson Stadium At 3874 Holman St.