College Football 2009-10

lockmat

Does anyone want to start an "Anti-spread offense group?" I really don't like the spread. It feels fake; like Madden football or something. I'm a Texas fan but don't like their offense at all. Oh well, as long as they score points I suppose, it's just kind of boring to watch. I feel like we're Tech w/ a running game.

Also, I found some A&M hightlights, but they're not that great. Anyone find some better ones? Good to see them playin well.

http://www.kbtx.com/sports/headlines/57575142.html#

Does anyone want to start an "Anti-spread offense group?" I really don't like the spread. It feels fake; like Madden football or something. I'm a Texas fan but don't like their offense at all. Oh well, as long as they score points I suppose, it's just kind of boring to watch. I feel like we're Tech w/ a running game.

Also, I found some A&M hightlights, but they're not that great. Anyone find some better ones? Good to see them playin well.

http://www.kbtx.com/sports/headlines/57575142.html#

What the heck? Texas runs the spread now? I didn't know that...but I don't really follow UT.

What the heck? Texas runs the spread now? I didn't know that...but I don't really follow UT.

Texas has been running a version of the spread offense since Vince Young was there. OU does as well. Texas Tech also does, though it is closer to the Run and Shoot than the spread.

Try this link.

My link

Thanks Red, that was a lot of highlights. Was the camera set abnormally high in the stadium? Not many players looked fast and Jerrod didn't look like he had much zip on his passes - a lot of them looked like floaters, but I attribute all this to the camera angle.

Those last few throws Jerrod had from right to left and one of them was a score looked really nice.

Texas has been running a version of the spread offense since Vince Young was there. OU does as well. Texas Tech also does, though it is closer to the Run and Shoot than the spread.

Oh...must be a definition thing. I consider what Texas Tech runs to be the spread (ie spread-option). I don't think of OU as running the spread.

Oh...must be a definition thing. I consider what Texas Tech runs to be the spread (ie spread-option). I don't think of OU as running the spread.

It is mostly dependent on how many receivers there are, and the QB in a shotgun position. Here's an article that I happened across as I was looking up definitions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=4340650

It is mostly dependent on how many receivers there are, and the QB in a shotgun position. Here's an article that I happened across as I was looking up definitions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=4340650

Well I guess technically "spread" is just a formation thing. So if you follow the letter of the law anybody who fits a certain criteria runs the "spread." But in spirit I am pretty sure it's basically a run'n'shoot. The best and most exciting spread is the spread-option which is a spread formation with a running QB, no tight end, a man in motion every time, and the RB will line up next to the QB (for that direct-snap action, among other things).

But the term itself is meaningless, especially now. Five years ago nobody wanted anything to do with it but now that Florida ran it and the homers got curious suddenly everyone's apparently been running it the whole time.

Call me stupid, but i did not know Mississippi was the same school as Ole Miss. I could just wikipedia it, but where did the Ole come from? What does Ole even mean? Anyone know these answers without looking them up? ;)

If any aggie fans missed the game but want to watch it, you can do that for free here http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=tam

Call me stupid, but i did not know Mississippi was the same school as Ole Miss. I could just wikipedia it, but where did the Ole come from? What does Ole even mean? Anyone know these answers without looking them up? ;)

It came from rednecks. Ole = Old, just try to say it like a redneck and it sounds right.

It came from rednecks. Ole = Old, just try to say it like a redneck and it sounds right.

WRONG!

It came from slaves. Slaves commonly referred to the plantation owner's wife as the 'Ole Miss'. During a contest to nickname the school, 'Ole Miss' was suggested and was chosen.

(You should just stick to LSU trivia, such as, "Where did the song 'Hold That Tiger' come from?) ;)

WRONG!

It came from slaves. Slaves commonly referred to the plantation owner's wife as the 'Ole Miss'. During a contest to nickname the school, 'Ole Miss' was suggested and was chosen.

(You should just stick to LSU trivia, such as, "Where did the song 'Hold That Tiger' come from?) ;)

Not wrong - Ole does = Old, just said like a redneck. Slaves were rednecks too, with crazy bad dialect that spread to whites and blacks alike. Knowing too much about Ole Miss is a learning disability, and I have no need for it.

Looks like USC-Ohio State and UH-Oklahoma State are the only good games this weekend.

I don't like Oklahoma State. They were set to play Boise State next year, but dropped after the Broncos beat Oregon last week. Hrm.

What about ND vs. Michigan?

As a casual fan, I prefer matchups of ranked teams.

Understandable. But it's got a pretty good storyline. Tune in if no other game is on.

Did anyone else notice that all the games had their pylons in the white, a few feet outside of the actual out-of-bounds last week? I couldn't figure that one out.

Also, I was thinking of a way to IMPROVE the rankings. First, we all know that the voters don't watch all the games. Heck, they probably only see two or three, tops. So really, they're ranking based off highlights, word of mouth and preconceptions. As of now, votes have to be in the following Sunday or Monday? My proposition is that votes should be in later in the week; Wednesday if there are any Thursday/Friday games and Friday if there aren't any. I know I would be just as anxious as anyone else to know the new rankings, but I think it's better they get it right, or closer to right, than they are right now. During this time, they should be forced to watch at least 5-6 games total. Of course, that's not every game, but it's more than they're watching now. Plus, it will allow them to watch other games more closely too. If we can't get a playoff, we have to find a way to at least improve the current system. I believe this is a small change that could have a big impact.

Also, I'm watching college gameday on espn right now and they just showed part of Ohio's future non conference schedule. They have home/away games planned for the next 10 years w/ Miami, Cal, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech and Tennessee. I guess they're currently in one with USC right now and remember they did it with Texas too? I respect them for doing that, pretty cool actually.

The pilons in the back of the end zone are always a bit out of bounds. Only the front corners of the end zone have the pilon's inner edge right against the field. I don't know why this is, it would seem the back pilons are useless. Maybe they're just to keep the band at bay before halftime.

I hope ND and Ohio St get crushed.

The pilons in the back of the end zone are always a bit out of bounds. Only the front corners of the end zone have the pilon's inner edge right against the field. I don't know why this is, it would seem the back pilons are useless. Maybe they're just to keep the band at bay before halftime.

I hope ND and Ohio St get crushed.

I've only noticed the pilons not on the out of bounds line the last two years. I'm almost certain the NFL has them right on the line, inside the endzone.

Normally, I really dislike USC, but it's hard not to like them after seeing the Lean On Me footage this morning, that was very cool.

Also, Dad, did you make your picks with those emotions? hehe, jk

I've only noticed the pilons not on the out of bounds line the last two years. I'm almost certain the NFL has them right on the line, inside the endzone.

Normally, I really dislike USC, but it's hard not to like them after seeing the Lean On Me footage this morning, that was very cool.

Also, Dad, did you make your picks with those emotions? hehe, jk

Yeah I picked with my gut again. I can't help it. I refuse to pick Notre Dame for anything.

I wish I would have checked the weather report before picking my LSU game, it's going to be a wet one. Probably no runaway victory there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived