KCOH AM 1430 to sign off Aug. 31st

H8S 4 LIFE

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else, but Houston is about to lose another one of its longtime heritage radio stations. KCOH-AM, the first radio station in Houston to target the African-American community will transfer ownership from KCOH, Inc. to Paraclete Church Ministries, a Catholic ministry, for $8.75 million dollars. It will presumably be formatted as a Catholic based religious station. I am sad to see longtime personalities such as Wash Allen, Ralph Cooper, and Skipper Lee Frazier out of work, and another one of the original heritage radio stations lost. What are your cherished memories of KCOH?

I never listened to KCOH, but I always loved to hear Skipper Lee speak.

Hate to see Houston lose a true institution, but I know it was inevitable. Even though I no longer listened to it, I was sad to see KILT AM change formats. I grew up on KILT. I heard about Buddy Holley’s death listening to KILT. But the memories will always be there.

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere else, but Houston is about to lose another one of its longtime heritage radio stations. KCOH-AM, the first radio station in Houston to target the African-American community will transfer ownership from KCOH, Inc. to Paraclete Church Ministries, a Catholic ministry, for $8.75 million dollars. It will presumably be formatted as a Catholic based religious station. I am sad to see longtime personalities such as Wash Allen, Ralph Cooper, and Skipper Lee Frazier out of work, and another one of the original heritage radio stations lost. What are your cherished memories of KCOH?

Skipper Lee Frazier hasn't been on KCOH in a while. He's on KWWJ-AM 1360. He hosts a gospel radio show from the 2nd floor of his funeral home on the South Loop.

Skipper Lee Frazier hasn't been on KCOH in a while. He's on KWWJ-AM 1360. He hosts a gospel radio show from the 2nd floor of his funeral home on the South Loop.

You are right. He is on KWWJ, and I believe has a show on KYOK as well. Hopefully, there will be a reunion of sorts for the old personalities before KCOH signs off.

It's sad when any radio station goes from local content and personalities to (presumably) satellite-delivered programming. The fact that KCOH was able to hold on this long is something of a miracle, though.

KCOH became the first Black owned station in Texas in September, 1953, after 5+ years as a 'Good Music' station. Robert C. Meeker led a group of local investors in the purchase. I have never been able to find out anything about Meeker; if anyone can provide any information I would appreciate it.

My recent post on the flip on my blog (scroll down).

Archived