America's Best Places to Find a Job 2009

Maybe this belongs in Houston Media, mods can move it, if it should be there

This is the paragraph from Yahoo! Finance

Houston

Texas has proved enormously resilient during this recession. The state's economy has performed in stark contrast to the rest of the nation--many counties in the state have even eked out job gains during the downturn. There are a few reasons for the state's strength, and housing was no small factor. "Houses have always been very, very affordable in Texas," says Dave Iaia, managing director of the U.S. Regional Services Group at IHS Global Insight. Unlike nearly all other metros, IHS is projecting that Texas cities will add jobs within the next year. The job markets in Dallas, San Antonio, Fort Worth, and Austin have all been steadier than average nationally.

You can also thank the world's dependence on fossil fuels for the state's success, particularly for the economic health in Houston. Houston is home to 27 Fortune 500 companies, including ConocoPhillips and Marathon Oil. While commodity prices have been volatile during the downturn, demand is climbing back up in part thanks to stimulus from overseas and the recovering U.S. economy, according to a report by the Dallas Fed. Like other steady cities, healthcare is an important part of Houston's economy. For example, the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Medical Center, one of the nation's top hospitals, employs more than 17,000 workers in Houston.

The Slideshow link:

http://www.usnews.com/listings/americas-best-places-to-find-a-job/1

Other Cities include,

Anchorage

Arlington

Columbus

Honolulu

Houston

OK City

Salt Lake City

Shreveport

Tallahassee

Wichita

I can't believe Houston is still making these lists, i mean we're faring better than most big cities, but where no longer the bright star we once were in the recession, we're barely blinking as is. With our unemployment rate rising, even toping Texas', i wonder how long we can hold on. Hopefully it ends soon.

I can't believe Houston is still making these lists, i mean we're faring better than most big cities, but where no longer the bright star we once were in the recession, we're barely blinking as is. With our unemployment rate rising, even toping Texas', i wonder how long we can hold on. Hopefully it ends soon.

I guess it shows just how bad it probably is in other parts of the country.

I guess it shows just how bad it probably is in other parts of the country.

I personally know a LOT of people still moving here and jobs seem to be more plentiful than in other areas of the country. I work for a college and our enrollment jumped something like 19% over last year. I know a lot of it is due to people getting retooled, but I think a lot of it is also population growth.

Apparently, Houston lost the most jobs out of all of Texas. And by a decent margin: http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/stories/2009/08/31/daily35.html

Houston, loss of 80,800 jobs (-3.1%)

McAllen-Edinburg, Texas, gain of 2,900 jobs (+1.4%)

El Paso, Texas, gain of 2,400 jobs (+0.9%)

Austin, loss of 1,400 jobs (-0.2%)

San Antonio, loss of 6,400 jobs (-0.8%)

Dallas-Fort Worth, loss of 45,400 jobs (-1.5%)

Damn.

Apparently, Houston lost the most jobs out of all of Texas. And by a decent margin: http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/stories/2009/08/31/daily35.html

Houston, loss of 80,800 jobs (-3.1%)

McAllen-Edinburg, Texas, gain of 2,900 jobs (+1.4%)

El Paso, Texas, gain of 2,400 jobs (+0.9%)

Austin, loss of 1,400 jobs (-0.2%)

San Antonio, loss of 6,400 jobs (-0.8%)

Dallas-Fort Worth, loss of 45,400 jobs (-1.5%)

Damn.

exactly, why im surprised were still on these lists.....

Archived