The latest in architectural excess: Private sky garages

http://enr.ecnext.com/coms2/article_bubt090805SkyGarages

Some people can't be bothered to take an elevator from their car to their condo in the sky, so they drive into an elevator which brings them to a private garage on their floor.

The article notes that Martha Stewart drives her car into a freight elevator and right up to her office in a New York skyscraper.

Historically speaking, this isn't new. The Jeweler's Building in Chicago used to have this for the safety of its tenants. Built back in the 1920's, jewelers would drive into an elevator and park at their offices in the 40-story skyscraper because they often traveled with samples. But after the Capone era waned, the elevator system was dismantled and turned into office space.

Awesome idea. My question is, why didn't they do this sooner?

This could be huge for the futures of sprawl cities turning urban, like Houston, Dallas, LA and Atlanta.

Once this becomes more common practice, I'm sure it will allow it to be much more feasible. I wonder how much it increased the building cost of the units?

I wonder what the numbers look like when they are modeling these sorts of buildings. How would the design change if say the tower were 150 floors and was located in an earthquake zone? Perhaps a tuned mass damper. And how would the fire codes change to allow vehicles in the building. Interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

When I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn you would occasionally see small-scale auto elevators. Like someone would have a double-height garage and one car could park underneath the other. It wasn't so much an elevator, though, as a kind of fancy cantilever device.

LTAWACS brings up a good point about fire codes, though. After 9/11 some cities are requiring diesel storage tanks to be kept on the lower levels, and gasoline is far more flammable than diesel.

Archived