Do you hear the crickets? *chirp*chirp*

editor

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheHAIF still needs more diversity, you're right. A disproportionate amount of people come from The Heights, Montrose, and other inner Houston neighborhoods, and maybe a Pasadena-ite, Katyian, or Baytownee lurks.

I've never seen a The Woodlands HAIFer. Ever. Maybe because everyone here hates The Woodlands (which ties in with collective hate for McMansions).

Who here is a "lurking" Baytownian, pronounced BAY-TONE-EAN ?

We used to have a lot of Woodlands HAIFers. One of the moderators is from The Woodlands. I'm not sure why they've been quiet lately.

I'd like to see more Galveston participation, but that's just because I have a soft spot for the island. It's been explained to me that Galveston people are somewhat adverse to the big fat "H" at the beginning of HAIF.

The pre-Ike population of Galveston was only about 55,000 people, not a huge number relative to the 5.7 million that comprise the entire Houston region. But yes, Galvestonians really dislike any affiliation with or subordination to the mainland economy or its cities. Even Tiki Island carries a stigma as far as they're concerned.

I've been couchsurfing a fair bit lately, and as a consequence I seem to be operating out of downtown Galveston about one night per week, on average. If I can't line up worthwhile employment in the near future, I'll probably be working as a deckhand or something along those lines out of Galveston pretty soon, furthering your goal of more Island participation.

I'm SURE there are more College Station/BCS area HAIFers than Galvestonians.

You are correct. Galveston visitors are 0.51% of HAIFers. Bryan is 1.24%. College Station is less than 0.25%.

And based what I've read on the HAIF, I can imagine a scenario...I'm taking a walk through the Heights (because that's where everyone seems to be in the HAIF).

There's an older man with a bottle of cheap beer next to him. He's also holding a gun.

There's no sidewalk at this point, so I'm forced to walk on the grass.

"Hey, get off my land!" the old-timer says.

"OK, but if you mind me asking, are you on the HAIF?"

His facial expression changes.

"Why do you ask?"

"I'm IronTiger, and I--"

"So you're the dumb kid who likes light rail almost as much as citykid, AND you respect Don McLeroy's ideas AND you're not even FROM Houston!" he says, grabbing his gun.

He shoots the ground as a warning, and I dash off. He grunts and chugs down a beer.

That probably wouldn't happen...would it?

And based what I've read on the HAIF, I can imagine a scenario...I'm taking a walk through the Heights (because that's where everyone seems to be in the HAIF).

There's an older man with a bottle of cheap beer next to him. He's also holding a gun.

"Why do you ask?"

"I'm IronTiger, and I--"

"So you're the dumb kid who likes light rail almost as much as citykid, AND you respect Don McLeroy's ideas AND you're not even FROM Houston!" he says, grabbing his gun.

He shoots the ground as a warning, and I dash off. He grunts and chugs down a beer.

No, we have sidewalks.

"Why do you ask?"

"I'm IronTiger, and I--"

IronTiger, have you just given up and are trying to accumulate bad rep? I mean, you're just doing such a good job.

....He shoots the ground as a warning, and I dash off. He grunts and chugs down a beer.

No, we have sidewalks.

Besides, he would throw rocks. We in the Heights stone people (in keeping with the historic feel of the neighborhood).

I was born to throw rocks. I keep three big ones on the front porch just in case - that is 100% serious. Get off my lawn.

So do I! So, dude, do you you throw them one at a time or all at once? I'm trying different techniques. Have you tried slings?

So do I! So, dude, do you you throw them one at a time or all at once? I'm trying different techniques. Have you tried slings?

Not me. My house is so close to the sidewalk that I couldn't even wind up to throw. I'm pretty much relegated to hand to hand combat in my yard.

No slings, I used to pitch so I'm good. I also keep a stick behind the railing. One time I killed a possum with it. Of course that was after the neighbor's dog got a hold of it, at which point it just laid there twitching so I put it out of its misery.

Red I gotta say I dig the new avatar. I pictured you looking like that before anyway, so that just confirmed it. Now you definitely look like that in my mind.

No slings, I used to pitch so I'm good. I also keep a stick behind the railing. One time I killed a possum with it. Of course that was after the neighbor's dog got a hold of it, at which point it just laid there twitching so I put it out of its misery.

See, I like the sling - three rocks at one time. If I don't hit it, I will certainly scare it, particularly when I growl, muuuaaahahahhaha.

Red I gotta say I dig the new avatar. I pictured you looking like that before anyway, so that just confirmed it. Now you definitely look like that in my mind.

I think it ages him. I think he should have gone with a younger Ringo...with the baseball cap, of course.

Rocks are easier...and cheaper...and more earth friendly...and easier to pick up.

Airsoft ammunition is made out of corn starch and is biodegradable. No need to pick them up. And the Airsoft guns can be charged by plugging in the batteries, not unlike an electric car. Therefore they must be "green", or so goes the reasoning.

In contrast, the rocks we have in Houston are from quarries, which are ugly energy-intensive scars upon on the Earth that contribute to airborne particulates capable of harming defenseless puppies. And you Heights people wouldn't want to contribute symbolically to dubiously unhealthy puppies, would you?

Kinda' makes me wonder if they would survive here, they won't quite be as anonymous and they'd actually have to defend their positions at a sustained pace.

Sometimes I think that, too. But then I remember that even the forums of newspapers with full registration and active moderators aren't all that different from those that are less patrolled. Something about newspapers attracts that angry element.

Airsoft ammunition is made out of corn starch and is biodegradable. No need to pick them up. And the Airsoft guns can be charged by plugging in the batteries, not unlike an electric car. Therefore they must be "green", or so goes the reasoning.

In contrast, the rocks we have in Houston are from quarries, which are ugly energy-intensive scars upon on the Earth that contribute to airborne particulates capable of harming defenseless puppies. And you Heights people wouldn't want to contribute symbolically to dubiously unhealthy puppies, would you?

Hmmm....and I wouldn't have to exert myself, and it negates the need for a sling. I'm likin' it!

EDIT: I thought about this on the way home. I can get the rocks from my yard, and their recyclable (whether or not I wipe off the blood). They do not involve my going to the store, or products being shipped to the store, so their sort of like the SLO ammo movement. Also, with the sling, I can keep my iron physique. Yeah, I'm sticking with the rocks.

DSC00437_edited.JPG

I like it. I think you should wear one, too.

• 1 year later...

So, things have been quiet around HAIF lately. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but I have.

The reason is our transition from .info to .com.

OhCrap.jpg

As you can see on this graph, we officially took possession of the .com on June 14th.

A few days later we moved the web site from .info to .com

A couple of days after that, Google erased almost all of the 19,000+ links we had in its index. You can see the number of HAIF visitors trailing off over the next couple of days as the change was copied to Google servers across the country and around the world.

Three days ago (not shown on the chart), Google finally started crawling the dot-com. I also filed a sitemap to help it with the chore.

Today-- some positive movement. We're still virtually invisible compared to how we used to be, but at least things are improving.

How did this happen? Well, it all goes back to one of the basic truths of HAIF -- 60% of our visitors are drive-bys who are searching for something on Google, Google points to us, they get the information they need and then move on.

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but it's a pretty good illustration of how dependent on the big G we are.

So, if you haven't already done so -- talk to your neighbors, your friends, your family members, the homeless guy wheezing the free wifi at Panera Bread with the stolen laptop, and let them know that HAIF is a good place to blow a metric assload of their valuable time while unexpectedly learning new things about their city.

I have no doubt that HAIF will recover in time, but it we can reach the goal faster if we all get out and push.

How are our stats.

It's been almost two years now since the .com change, plus, with the economy kick starting new and formally dead/on hold project, this forum should be seeing an increase in chatter soon.

• 1 year later...

I remember somebody said April was when we should start to hear announcements. No dice. Lockmat is right, the board is dead.

Actually Editor mentioned that traffic here is the highest it has been since 2009.  I thought there had been more posts.

Archived