Continental Set To Unveil Their Newest 737-900 Painted In A Retro Scheme

JLWM8609

I like the business-like, clean paint scheme for CO's regular aircraft, but I also like the retro scheme too. This is a special scheme for that particular aircraft. If only CO could revive the Robert F. Six special livery too.

Perhaps CO should also have a special "Texas" and a special "New York" livery for two lucky 737s.

That's a great paint scheme! Better than the current one. I am getting annoyed at companies who change things merely for the sake of change.

I think the special "retro" schemes for Continental and Air France look great on the twinjets. Of course, I would like for CO to also have an optional uniform for female flight attendants that would look very sixties-ish.

I don't like it. Old styles look good on old aircraft. Newer aircraft should boast more forward-looking or cutting edge designs.

I don't like it. Old styles look good on old aircraft. Newer aircraft should boast more forward-looking or cutting edge designs.

This paint job is in celebration of Continental 75 year anniversary. The employees got to vote on it, from a selection of about 5 other options. This is what they chose, so they like it. It's not like they are going to paint every new aircraft like this. I think it's an interesting change to the conservative (boring??) livery CO currently has.

FRheard is right. The employees chose this design to celebrate the 75th anniversary.

I wish they had choosen the "golden tail" design but this one is nice if not a little safe. Other options were the red meatball and black meatball but many older employees harken the meatball design to Frank Lorenzo so those didn't stand a chance.

It's one plane out of a fleet of 300+.

It will be at IAH on Thursday around 2pm at gate E-5 if anyone wants to see it.

Here is a better picture:

I think it looks pretty darn good.

It's a fact that good design is good design, regardless of age. That applies to paint schemes as much as it does to architecture.

That is a great photo. The more I see it, the more I like it. It conveys a sense of assurance and responsibility; An age when flying was exceptional and dignified, unlike today. It hearkens to a day of civility and respect, innocence and pride! They are none, mutually exclusive.

Check this out...

Yep, apparently I had good instinct on that one. Design-wise, there's something about the shape of the DC-3's fuselage, its squared-off windows, and its broad tail that makes the design work better on it. It's all about scale and proportion.

• The title was changed to Continental Set To Unveil Their Newest 737-900 Painted In A Retro Scheme

Archived