Heights Tree Cutting Regulations?

I have a rather large 35+ft, 1ft round trunk tree in my back yard that is slowly falling toward my neighbors house. Is there any regulation on cutting down trees (city, HHA, ???). I'm not sure what kind of tree it is, not an oak or fruiting tree, and I hate to get rid of it but every week that goes by it moves closer to his house and is up rooting in my back yard. Does anyone have any suggestions for this situation? I want to inform him but not sure how he will take it, plus I havent seen him but 2 times in the last 2 years. Should I just have it removed? How much is something like this going to cost me?

Thanks for all info,

D

I have a rather large 35+ft, 1ft round trunk tree in my back yard that is slowly falling toward my neighbors house. Is there any regulation on cutting down trees (city, HHA, ???). I'm not sure what kind of tree it is, not an oak or fruiting tree, and I hate to get rid of it but every week that goes by it moves closer to his house and is up rooting in my back yard. Does anyone have any suggestions for this situation? I want to inform him but not sure how he will take it, plus I havent seen him but 2 times in the last 2 years. Should I just have it removed? How much is something like this going to cost me?

Thanks for all info,

D

As long as the tree is not on the right of way and is in your property you can remove it at will. It can run a pretty penny to have it removed. I had one removed last year for about $400 and that was a bargain.

Thanks for all info,

D

My parents have an elm tree that was leaned over by Gustav that is still hanging on, but on its way down. Thankfully it is pointed at a ditch and nothing else, but I don't think there's any way to straighten it back up once the root system has been all muddled below it. If yours is the same case it's coming down, your way or nature's way.

I would just have it removed if you think it is working on causing some damage soon. There shouldn't be anything stopping you from doing that unless it's not actually on your land. Maybe the neighbor will be upset about losing shade, but I'm sure if you point out that it's on its way into their house they would be ok with it.

Yikes! $400.... Can anyone recommend a tree service that might do it cheaper? Otherwise I know what I'm doing with my 3 day weekend...

That $400 was about 1/2 to 1/3 of what most people quoted. It was about a two to three story tall maple, but it's trunk was bigger than one foot.

Get a couple of saws and recruit 2 day laborers for 4 hours. Hauling is another matter but it'll be cheaper than $400. If the pile isn't that big you can even wait for heavy trash day.

If you want the yard to be smooth afterward, bringing someone in to grind up the stump might be the only thing you couldn't do with day laborers

Get a couple of saws and recruit 2 day laborers for 4 hours. Hauling is another matter but it'll be cheaper than $400. If the pile isn't that big you can even wait for heavy trash day.

If you want the yard to be smooth afterward, bringing someone in to grind up the stump might be the only thing you couldn't do with day laborers

Spend the $400. I just had a 35 footer removed yesterday. It was a package deal, so I do not know what one tree would be. $400 is not too bad, considering the possibility of the tree falling on a neighbor's house, or getting injured from a fall or a chainsaw. Stump grinding is impossible without a grinder. Getting them to show up to grind a stump, given the gas and prep time of unloading the grinder, will be at least $100. Removal of the limbs and trunk might be another $100. All in all, paying $400 to have the tree cut down, removed and stump ground is a pretty good price. All that's left when they leave is mulch from the stump grinding.

It's on a fence line (grown into the fence) and I would prolly leave the stump to the top of the fence and make a planter out of it. I'm thinking I can most likely get it myself, all I need is an old harness and some rope. Anyone want to get rid of their old climbing equipment?

It's on a fence line (grown into the fence) and I would prolly leave the stump to the top of the fence and make a planter out of it. I'm thinking I can most likely get it myself, all I need is an old harness and some rope. Anyone want to get rid of their old climbing equipment?

if your neighbor's house is close, i'd bet hiring a bonded tree person might be a better and safer bet.

This was the tree I had cut.

P5310027.jpg

P5310029.jpg

P5310031.jpg

P6010033.jpg

My brother and I cut down a tree in the front yard, and paid a guy $90 to haul off the trunk and limbs. It was 20 feet tall and not near anything. However, the stump stayed for 3 years until I gave the stump grinder $60 extra yesterday to grind it.

Sorry Red I can't see your pictures... For some reason only some posts with pictures show up and others don't? Any ideas why?

That's too bad. They are some of my best photos.

Not sure what restricts the photos. I have them on photobucket. PM me with your email and I'll send them and many more.

That's too bad. They are some of my best photos.

Not sure what restricts the photos. I have them on photobucket. PM me with your email and I'll send them and many more.

I see the pictures.

When I had my tree removed, the economy was still rockin', so it may be a whole different price point now. I did not ask my guys about being bonded, but that is something to consider should there be any accidents.

Maybe Redscare and his brother will come help you.

I'm thinking I can most likely get it myself, all I need is an old harness and some rope. Anyone want to get rid of their old climbing equipment?

Famous last words, dude. I'm joining the chorus of "Spend the money."

if your neighbor's house is close, i'd bet hiring a bonded tree person might be a better and safer bet.

If the tree comes down on your neighbor's house or the day laborers that you get, you're going to going to wish you hired someone.

Archived