Neighborhood madness

Price range - $130-170

Heights - mostly fixer-uppers

Oak Forest - fixer-uppers, or next to powerlines

Way out west - awesome homes, great prices, but too far.

East End - fixer-uppers

Third Ward - um...I still can't find the good part.

Okay, sorry for the whining, but I just want a nice place that won't require tons of maintenance. I'm a bit overwhelmed. Any suggestions? Or should I just wait a year for prices to drop(maybe) and save up for a better neighborhood?

[i realize this is a very general question, just a shot in the dark!]

You can get into parts of Westbury and Post Oak Manor for $170k, and the homes will be reasonably updated (or dated, but livable). Other than that area, I agree that the pickings are very slim for places that won't require a lot of cash to fix them up, or aren't in sketchy sections.

Price range - $130-170

Heights - mostly fixer-uppers

Oak Forest - fixer-uppers, or next to powerlines

Way out west - awesome homes, great prices, but too far.

East End - fixer-uppers

Third Ward - um...I still can't find the good part.

Okay, sorry for the whining, but I just want a nice place that won't require tons of maintenance. I'm a bit overwhelmed. Any suggestions? Or should I just wait a year for prices to drop(maybe) and save up for a better neighborhood?

[i realize this is a very general question, just a shot in the dark!]

You ought to be able to find a home in the East End that'll get pretty close to your price range and that are in decent shape. Some suggestions:

1912 Forest Hill Blvd. - Looks good as-is, but priced a little high.

301 Telephone Rd. - Needs some work but is on a corner lot facing Park Street (the best street in Eastwood).

305 Telephone - Needs a little updating, but it's definitely comfortable as-is. Big lot.

7421 Erath - Nice new updates, although it looks like you'll need to be creative with the den. At that price, you'll have plenty of leeway, financially. Also, walking distance to Mason Park, probably the most under-appreciated park in the City of Houston.

You ought to be able to find a home in the East End that'll get pretty close to your price range and that are in decent shape. Some suggestions:

1912 Forest Hill Blvd. - Looks good as-is, but priced a little high.

301 Telephone Rd. - Needs some work but is on a corner lot facing Park Street (the best street in Eastwood).

305 Telephone - Needs a little updating, but it's definitely comfortable as-is. Big lot.

7421 Erath - Nice new updates, although it looks like you'll need to be creative with the den. At that price, you'll have plenty of leeway, financially. Also, walking distance to Mason Park, probably the most under-appreciated park in the City of Houston.

Those all look nice, so I'll have to explore East End more. I'm still curious about Third Ward too, I've driven through there several times but all I see are a lot of new townhomes with sketchy characters hanging out on the corners near them, as well as some beautiful old brick homes that would look great if there were only trees on the lot.

Those all look nice, so I'll have to explore East End more. I'm still curious about Third Ward too, I've driven through there several times but all I see are a lot of new townhomes with sketchy characters hanging out on the corners near them, as well as some beautiful old brick homes that would look great if there were only trees on the lot.

There are plenty of nice, fairly affordable homes south of Blodgett and north of OST. This area is sometimes referred to as part of 3rd Ward, but historically it is more aligned with the Riverside Terrace name.

There are plenty of nice, fairly affordable homes south of Blodgett and north of OST. This area is sometimes referred to as part of 3rd Ward, but historically it is more aligned with the Riverside Terrace name

Riverside Terrace is out of his price range, even for a fixer upper.

Riverside Terrace is out of his price range, even for a fixer upper.

Riverside Terrace (proper) is out of the price range. However, there are smaller subdivisions adjacent to Riverside Terrace that include decent small-ish homes. Just do a search for homes in 77004 and you'll find them.

I am a big fan of Oak Forest (I live there of course!) Depending on what kind of house you need, there are plenty of decent houses in your price range. One thing I have found is that the homes that are priced right and in good shape, with a good location, do not last long. Even in today's market, they will often have an option on them within a week. You can find them but you need to know what you want, have a quick agent or check HAR frequently and have all your ducks in a row. I bought my house last year (a 3/2 that just needed some fresh paint) for under 190k, a coworker just bought a 3/1/2 in great shape for around under 200k. I know these are just outside of your budget, but not that far out and I have seen plenty of home listed in the 170k-180k range that were in good shape and went quick. As far as the powerlines go, I haven't seen a single house in the area that didn't have one in the backyard.

There are plenty of nice, fairly affordable homes south of Blodgett and north of OST. This area is sometimes referred to as part of 3rd Ward, but historically it is more aligned with the Riverside Terrace name.

What are a couple of zip codes for that area?

Thanks