The Heights Craftsman Style Homes

SaintCyr

well, if you look at North Norhill, where I live, there are no large homes. there are only 2 new homes in the whole subdivision. we are bungalow dwellers and i know from your previous posts on here that you think we all fit your stereotype and you don't like us. well, just so you know even with no new homes, houses in this neighborhood tend to sell faster and for more per sq ft than McVics (do you like that better) in even more established parts of the Heights.

McMansion is about a lot more than just size. It's about going to The Woodlands and not knowing which house is your friend's b/c they all look the same. It's about a lack of character- like McDonald's food lacks character and flavor. There are plenty of new homes in the Heights that don't qualify as Mc-anythings. HOwever, when you tear down a real Victorian (that was plenty big) and replace is with a fake, you're Mc-ing the neighborhood. It's Disney and it's cheesy. As always, if you don't like that we feel this way in The Heights, don't buy a home here and don't be friends with people who do. Easy enough.

Additionally, just b/c you love the stereotype you have of Heights residents so much, let me say I drive an SUV and my husband has a Lexus. we don't drive Priuses and, while we live in a bungalow, 3bed/2bath and almost 2000 sq ft is hardly small. So what is your point? I know more people like me in the Heights than people like the ones you suggest live here- although I do know them as well and I adore them.

this.

I happen to love living in the heights, I love having no deed restrictions, and being able to do what you want to your home. - Almost all of my friends also live here in the heights. I do not dislike people who live here, or people who live in the old houses, or people who live in the new houses. I dislike people who think they are better than you because of where they live, how they live, or what they drive. I also did not suggest that the heights was full of any one type of person - I would even venture to say there are alot more people like me - who drive what they want (in my case a F250 diesel), recycle when its convenient, and treat everyone the way they want to be treated than there are the egotistical sterotypical environmentalist. The I'm better than you types are just more vocal in letting you know what they dont like about you.

My whole point of even speaking up originally was that I was sick of everyone calling every new build a Mc - something. Alot of the homes I have seen called McVic, or McMansions are original designs by archietects or custom builds that I, and many people just like me think are quite nice. It seems to me that the vocal stereotypical person is going to hate everything that is not exactly what is already there, or a new version of something older that looks exactly like the neighbors house.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again - its a pretty slippery slope. Is a 2 story house to tall or to big? It probably is to a small bungalow - it blocks the light, it blocks the breeze - but its not possible to build a 1 story house of sufficient size anymore to justify the price of the lot. When your lot exceeds $200,000 if you put a little one story house on it - for yourself or anyone else, you have built yourself into the most expensive house on the street per square foot, whether you wanted to or not.

I am yet to see a NEW one story house be built in the heights - notice the word new - not a bungalow revival or anything.

921 E. 25th Street

Additionally, just b/c you love the stereotype you have of Heights residents so much, let me say I drive an SUV and my husband has a Lexus. we don't drive Priuses and, while we live in a bungalow, 3bed/2bath and almost 2000 sq ft is hardly small. So what is your point? I know more people like me in the Heights than people like the ones you suggest live here- although I do know them as well and I adore them.

The point is we are all neighbors, so get over it!! Of course you know more people like yourself then "the ones you (marksmu) suggest live here" - people tend to befriend those most like themselves while many times treating others at outcasts.

The point is we are all neighbors, so get over it!! Of course you know more people like yourself then "the ones you (marksmu) suggest live here" - people tend to befriend those most like themselves while many times treating others at outcasts.

I will fight tooth and nail to keep these townhouses from popping up in my neighborhood, but once someone moves in, they are my neighbor and should be welcomed whole heartedly.

Well, it's also tied to price point in the market. There are more people who can qualify/want-to-pay

$300k for a house than people who can qualify/want-to-pay $600k for a house. In the Heights, look at Tricon. They appear to be building and selling lots of the "firehouse" models like the San Francisco wonder versus McVics like this Megalomaniac dream house . In fact, they have shifted almost all their building practice to the former.

I can see not liking the "san Fransisco wonder" its pretty ugly and is all of the elements I too do not care for in a home -but the second one - the "megalomaniac dream house" - what exactly is wrong with that one, other than they crammed it onto a lot it was too large for? Its not that big - 2600 sq ft, with a 500 sq ft garage apt - its not a 3 story townhome - its not garage to the street, it doesnt tower over everyone around it- it has a nice front yard in touch with the rest of its block...I actually think the second one is quite attractive from the front. I am curious here to all of you who hate this Mcvic, or McMansion...first of all what is it? Is it a McVic or a McMansion - and secondly what is wrong with it. I would have put it on a bigger lot but otherwise it seems quite attractive and pretty in touch with the area. I have seen this house, or a version that is quite similar built by Sullivan, by Tricon, Custom built, and by an individual building to his own design.

I can see not liking the "san Fransisco wonder" its pretty ugly and is all of the elements I too do not care for in a home -but the second one - the "megalomaniac dream house" - what exactly is wrong with that one, other than they crammed it onto a lot it was too large for? Its not that big - 2600 sq ft, with a 500 sq ft garage apt - its not a 3 story townhome - its not garage to the street, it doesnt tower over everyone around it- it has a nice front yard in touch with the rest of its block...I actually think the second one is quite attractive from the front. I am curious here to all of you who hate this Mcvic, or McMansion...first of all what is it? Is it a McVic or a McMansion - and secondly what is wrong with it. I would have put it on a bigger lot but otherwise it seems quite attractive and pretty in touch with the area. I have seen this house, or a version that is quite similar built by Sullivan, by Tricon, Custom built, and by an individual building to his own design.

Honestly, I think the McVics are at least trying to match the neighborhood, although I don't like them. The original victorians were made with more attention to detailing and usually better craftsmanship. Once these have mature trees around them they do look much better. I prefer, if it is going to be new construction, the homes that are updated and contemporary versions. I am going to make a project of getting pics of these and of old bungalows that have been rehabbed and enlarged. I think that will be my project this coming weekend.

They appear to be building and selling lots of the "firehouse" models like the San Francisco wonder versus McVics like this Megalomaniac dream house . In fact, they have shifted almost all their building practice to the former.

To me the big difference is whether the home has a front porch or some sort of welcoming front entry. Those garage-under-homes have nothing that says "hey, I'm your neighbor, come knock on the door". The front door is down the path to the side. In my opinion that's what makes them undesirable in a neighborhood. So, even if that 2nd house you call a Megalomaniac dream house is a bit big, it's pretty, it's nice to look at, it's welcoming, it has character, it has landscaping and greenery. (the fence says stay-the-heck-off-my-property but that's a different topic) I'd rather have a bunch of those on my street.

Going back to that original red house that started the topic.... I think the house would look fine if it didn't have that big protrusion over the driveway. That's the part that makes it look odd in my opinion. Still over-scaled for the lot even without that room-over-driveway? sure. But I'm not putting it in the McMansion category. I'm from Southern California and this house is nothing like what we'd label a McMansion. In order to be a McMansion, first it has to be a "mansion"... I don't think this Craftsman wannabe really qualifies as a mansion no matter what size lot it's on. It's just a big house. And I think it actually looks pretty good minus the over-driveway part.

and secondly what is wrong with it.

I have to add this listing, to the discussion of excessively large houses destroying the character of a neighborhood. It is not in Heights proper but west of TC Jester off 11th. It is almost 5 times as large as their neighbor's house with a 5 car garage.

I am sure there is a place for it in Houston but to me it seems a bit distasteful in this neighborhood.

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cfm?mlnum=1206863&class=1&sType=0

Honestly, I think the McVics are at least trying to match the neighborhood, although I don't like them. The original victorians were made with more attention to detailing and usually better craftsmanship. Once these have mature trees around them they do look much better. I prefer, if it is going to be new construction, the homes that are updated and contemporary versions. I am going to make a project of getting pics of these and of old bungalows that have been rehabbed and enlarged. I think that will be my project this coming weekend.

I would venture to say that almost 100% of the newer homes have inferior craftmanship. The framing crews that build houses now will completely dry in a home in 2 days. Its just not possible for 6 guys to measure and cut every piece of a house in that amount of time. They eyeball everything and use more nails to "fix" their mistakes. There is no arguing that carpenters built houses many years ago, and now its unskilled labor. Unfortunately its the homeowner who gets to deal with the problems later.

I am however happy to hear that house is not on short list of hatred, b/c I actually like it quite a bit. If it were on a 6600sq ft lot instead of a 5500 sqft lot it would make all the difference in the world in terms of yard and not having the garage so close.

I tend to also agree with those who state the porch makes the difference. I happen to agree. A porch makes the house look inviting even when a fence says stay off the yard; even though I love the fence, not only for security but for dogs. I have a fence just like that one and I would absolutely hate not having it on my house. My dogs make full use of my yard, not just my back yard, and when I open a door I am much more confident that there is not going to be someone waiting out there to jump me, try to sell me something, or hang a menu on my front door.

I will fight tooth and nail to keep these townhouses from popping up in my neighborhood, but once someone moves in, they are my neighbor and should be welcomed whole heartedly.

EMME thanks for that. Many Heightsians (myself included) are guilty of coming across as snooty and even a militant because we are so protective of our neighborhood. But people are people. And good neighbors (people) can reside in small bungalows, townhomes, and McVics as well.

I cant' speak for everyone. But, most of us aren't working to keep any stereotype in or out of the neighborhood. Just preserve the uniqueness of the neighborhood. We are working to protect our neighborhood from becoming just like West U or Rice Military. Not that there's anything wrong with those neighborhoods. Not at all! They are unique in their own regards. I wouldn't (economics aside) expect them to be enthralled if people were tearing down their uniquely-defining houses to put up bungalows. There's room for all.

I have seen this house, or a version that is quite similar built by Sullivan, by Tricon, Custom built, and by an individual building to his own design.

OK...Megalomaniac track house, then. :D

I can see not liking the "san Fransisco wonder" its pretty ugly and is all of the elements I too do not care for in a home -but the second one - the "megalomaniac dream house" - what exactly is wrong with that one, other than they crammed it onto a lot it was too large for? Its not that big - 2600 sq ft, with a 500 sq ft garage apt - its not a 3 story townhome - its not garage to the street, it doesnt tower over everyone around it- it has a nice front yard in touch with the rest of its block...I actually think the second one is quite attractive from the front. I am curious here to all of you who hate this Mcvic, or McMansion...first of all what is it? Is it a McVic or a McMansion - and secondly what is wrong with it. I would have put it on a bigger lot but otherwise it seems quite attractive and pretty in touch with the area.
To me the big difference is whether the home has a front porch or some sort of welcoming front entry. Those garage-under-homes have nothing that says "hey, I'm your neighbor, come knock on the door". The front door is down the path to the side. In my opinion that's what makes them undesirable in a neighborhood. So, even if that 2nd house you call a Megalomaniac dream house is a bit big, it's pretty, it's nice to look at, it's welcoming, it has character, it has landscaping and greenery.

I don't disagree in the comparison of the appearance of the two. (After all, I like porches!). To clarify, I was referencing aesthetics in the "San Francisco wonder" and size in the "Megalomaniac dream house." My response was in context to economics around size and price point. Tricon has graduated to building more of the former, smaller units than the latter, larger units. (I use Tricon as an example simply because of the amount of building they are doing in the Heights.) One general thrust in this thread had insisted that the economics of this were built around the underlying value of the land. I don't disagree with that either. You can see that on a psf basis where well-cared-for bungalows sell for a lot more than most larger homes foot-for-foot. But affordability is another economic issue at play, particulary in the current, econonmic environment.

I can't stand the park-under-my-house, garage right in the front look. That one to me is an obvious one to hate. The other one, the "McVic" I kind of like, although I think it's odd that there's trendiness throughout and they somehow got away with white appliances. Gasp!! No stainless and granite, no deal HGTV!!

But the white appliances are in the garage apartment/guest house. The main house's kitchen does have stainless and granite.

I want marble countertops in my kitchen. I don't like granite. I guess because I see it everywhere. Or concrete countertops...when done right they are gorgeous!

I want marble countertops in my kitchen. I don't like granite. I guess because I see it everywhere. Or concrete countertops...when done right they are gorgeous!

What would you put on the sheetrock? Paint is even more common than granite! :ph34r:

flipper

What would you put on the sheetrock? Paint is even more common than granite! :ph34r:

flipper

One of the first things I did when I bought my house was tear off the wall covering (some sort of spongy stuff, not drywall) and take it back to shiplap. I loved that look, but it was awfully drafty. After a year or two, I finally drywalled.

Honestly, I don't know why I don't like granite. Maybe it's the speckles. I don't know. I don't think badly of people who do like it. I never got the southwestern decor thing myself, but I could appreciate it when it was done well somewhere else. I can appreciate granite somewhere else, just not in my house. If it had been there when I got the house, I wouldn't have removed it, I just wouldn't choose it.

But the white appliances are in the garage apartment/guest house. The main house's kitchen does have stainless and granite.

That'll teach me to scan a listing too quickly.

Granite is stone; a nice, hard dense one at that. It just makes for a good countertop. Maybe other stones do also, maybe they just aren't as commonly available or as diverse in the color patterns you can get. I'm not jumping on the anti-granite sentiment just because everyone has it now, I think it's a functional choice. Builders or remodelers - is there a better material that should be used?

Granite is stone; a nice, hard dense one at that. It just makes for a good countertop. Maybe other stones do also, maybe they just aren't as commonly available or as diverse in the color patterns you can get. I'm not jumping on the anti-granite sentiment just because everyone has it now, I think it's a functional choice. Builders or remodelers - is there a better material that should be used?

It's not better, but someday I'll do a glass countertop that's lit from below and sandblasted on the underside.

flipper

It's not better, but someday I'll do a glass countertop that's lit from below and sandblasted on the underside.

flipper

AWESOME, but not in my house either. But I would love to see it in a proper contemporary kitchen.

Isn't marble kind of porous? Doesn't sound good for countertops. Slate is probably too soft/flaky.

Isn't marble kind of porous? Doesn't sound good for countertops. Slate is probably too soft/flaky.

You have to be a tad more careful with marble, but they use it in kitchens all over Europe. You just don't want to use it as a cutting board (don't do that with my ceramic tile) and I understand that citric acids can have some effect. But I am all for distressed too, so maybe I would like distressed marble.

You have to be a tad more careful with marble, but they use it in kitchens all over Europe. You just don't want to use it as a cutting board (don't do that with my ceramic tile) and I understand that citric acids can have some effect. But I am all for distressed too, so maybe I would like distressed marble.

You don't want to use any hard counter as your cutting board; it's bad for the knives. Use cutting boards--wood or manmade; manmade especially for meat, poultry & fish. Butcher block counter tops are making a comeback, especially for older style homes.

Marble is beautiful & worth some effort. Rick Bayless's kitchen, seen on his TV show, has soapstone counters & knotty pine cabinets. On HGTV, you used to see homeowners going to select granite slabs for their kitchens; there are some beautiful & dramatic options. But the cheapest granite is that speckled stuff, often seen in "flipped" houses. Not impressive--& not maintenance free, either.

This renter with formica counters can dream. Stainless steel appliances? Hah! Check these out.....

You don't want to use any hard counter as your cutting board; it's bad for the knives. Use cutting boards--wood or manmade; manmade especially for meat, poultry & fish. Butcher block counter tops are making a comeback, especially for older style homes.

Marble is beautiful & worth some effort. Rick Bayless's kitchen, seen on his TV show, has soapstone counters & knotty pine cabinets. On HGTV, you used to see homeowners going to select granite slabs for their kitchens; there are some beautiful & dramatic options. But the cheapest granite is that speckled stuff, often seen in "flipped" houses. Not impressive--& not maintenance free, either.

This renter with formica counters can dream. Stainless steel appliances? Hah! Check these out.....

I have a 1940s Chambers Range. I have to turn the gas on and off at the wall since the pilot could heat a McMansion, but it's worth it. I just love the look!

Marble is mainly made of calcite, a carbonate mineral that breaks down in acids, so long-term use may result in discoloration.

Soapstone may have a small amount of carbonate minerals, but it will have larger amounts of talc, a mineral that is quite soft. A countertop of soapstone may score or scratch more easily than other materials, depending on the amount of talc.

Much of what is marketed as "granite", some of which is technically not the rock granite, is made of harder minerals than either soapstone or marble.

Bottom line as you mentioned: use cutting boards, and all countertops will require some level of regular maintenance.

On the other end of the spectrum, this updated craftsman bungalow sold in less than a week.

There are a lot of factors at work, not the least of which is that homes in the <$500k range can be purchased with a conforming loan, whereas the price of the house in the OP requires a (much more costly) jumbo mortgage for most buyers.

Also, the fact that it's not ugly as sin probably helped.

Hey, yank, what was that house listed at?

it was "rumored" to have been listed at $345k. i say "rumored" b/c it sold before anyone i know even saw it go up on HAR. it's on the end of my street and the for sale sign went up with the "sale pending" part already attached- probably only went up for the realtor to drive business.

it was "rumored" to have been listed at $345k. i say "rumored" b/c it sold before anyone i know even saw it go up on HAR. it's on the end of my street and the for sale sign went up with the "sale pending" part already attached- probably only went up for the realtor to drive business.

It listed right at or below $200k before the rehab.

Archived