Blue Ridge Mountain

Urbannizer

Ok, at first, this project had some degree of feasibility. Now, it's just out there....

• 10 months later...

this totally sounds like one of the dumbest ideas ive ever heard of in my life haha

I absolutely love this idea. I doubt it, but I really wish someone would pursue this project.

This is what the wiki said about Mount TrashMore:

Since its opening in the 1970s, it ranks as the most popular park in Virginia Beach, with attendance of over one million visitors a year.[

We actually have several places in our region that are like this. One is the Pierce Junction area, just south of 610, and there are another couple of spots located off of the Gulf Freeway in between Pasadena and Clear Lake City.

I believe that the Pierce Junction Oilfield/Salt Dome was turned into the Wildcat Golf Course.

• 10 years later...
On 5/13/2009 at 1:29 PM, TheNiche said:

There's also a good-sized antenna farm out there.

Anyone know the height of the KRIV tower? Is it similar the Senior Road Tower at near 2,000 feet? I was driving down McHard road and noticed a supertall tower.

C7w2Zer.jpg

On satellite

UStUIMc.png

1 hour ago, Highrise Tower said:

Anyone know the height of the KRIV tower? Is it similar the Senior Road Tower at near 2,000 feet? I was driving down McHard road and noticed a supertall tower.

C7w2Zer.jpg

On satellite

UStUIMc.png

1,962 feet

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Professionalism/Collapse_of_the_TV_Antenna_in_Missouri_City,_Texas

http://www.gendisasters.com/texas/14733/missouri-city-tx-television-tower-collapse-dec-1982

Missouri City, TX Television Tower Collapse, Dec 1982

TOWER COLLAPSE HURLS 5 MEN TO THEIR DEATH.

Missouri City (AP) -- An 1,800 foot tall television tower toppled as workers were lifting an antenna onto its pinnacle Tuesday, hurling five men to their deaths. Three others on the ground were injured.
The dead had been working on the antenna as it was being lifted atop the tower, said Lt. Roger Boyd of the Fort Bend Sheriff's Department in this suburb southwest of Houston.
Bill Cordell, chief engineer for KIKK, one of the radio stations scheduled to use the tower, said the workers had lifted one antenna atop the tower and were lifting a second when a gin pole being used as part of the lifting mechanism failed, causing the antenna to fall and sever a guy wire.
Andy Hudack, an engineer on the project, recorded the accident on videotape. The only sounds heard on the tape were his anguished,
"Oh, my God" and several seconds of the roaring collapse.
"I heard something snap," he said later. "Then the tower started falling. I just put my gear down rather hastily and got out of the way."
The falling tower crushed a building belonging to independent television station KTXH Channel 29.
Hours after the accident the tower lay in a mass of twisted metal, with cable the size of a man's wrist stretching for hundreds of yards from the wreckage.
The victims "were all killed by multiple injuries ..
They were all in bad shape," said Peace Justice L. F. Eguia. "You've got to remember, they were riding this thing down."
Three Houston men who were working atop another building near the tower were injured when they leaped or were thrown from a second-story roof.
Cordell said the victims were employed by Worldwide Tower Service Inc. of Pitman, N.J.
Killed were:
GENE CROSBY, 24, of North Carolina.
DAVID STEWART, 27, of North Carolina.
DONALD K. OWENS, 21, of Mississippi.
JOHNNIE WILSON, about 26, of South Carolina.
JOHNNIE BRATTEN, 26, of South Carolina, said A. J. Noto, dispatcher for the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Department.
Of the injured, J. L. CHAPMAN, 52, was to undergo surgery for multiple fractures at Hermann Hospital today, while JAMES MYER, 31, was treated for multiple contusions and released and CARL SMITH, 23, was in stable condition with a broken pelvis, hospital spokesmen said.
The tower was operated by the Senior Road Tower Project, a consortium of KTXH-TV and several radio stations.
The mast was in the final stages of construction
and workers had been doing tests and installations on it, officials said.

Galveston Daily News Texas 1982-12-08

On 5/13/2009 at 5:10 PM, TheNiche said:

And scanning through USGS topo maps, I can see that Blue Ridge gets its name because there's a hill that peaks out at a 94-foot elevation at the intersection of McHard Rd. (FM 2334) and Moffitt Ln. It looks to be about 15 to 20 feet above the mean elevation of the rest of that part of Fort Bend County. Given the enormous concentration of oil and gas rigs out there in what is labeled on the map as the Blue Ridge Oil Field, I'm guessing with a fair bit of confidence that the protrusion is a salt dome. And actually, given that that area is probably so environmentally contaminated already that the big landowners wouldn't dare allow future residential development on it for fear of getting slapped with a liability suit, it strikes me that this is an ideal place for a landfill or other 'dirty' industry. Bring it on.

Old oil fields a new twist for Petrosearch

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2004/02/09/story4.html

Kelly Erwin is doing what he loves: Drilling for oil. And he's hitting black gold in an 80-year-old oil field in Fort Bend County that has sat abandoned for a decade.

To drill the Blue Ridge salt dome field that straddles the Fort Bend/Harris County line along McHard Road, Erwin has teamed up with Petrosearch Corp., the brainchild of Houston oil and gas entrepreneur Brad Simmons.

Simmons started Petrosearch in 2002. Following a reverse merger with investment firm Texas Commercial Resources Inc., Petrosearch officially became a public company last month, trading over the counter on the pink sheets.

Petrosearch aims to develop some of the thousands of old but still potentially profitable oil and gas properties in the U.S. that have been left behind by the major oil companies. Many of them are in the hands of small independent producers, but financing such independent operations is often prohibitive.

Fort Bend's Blue Ridge was discovered in the early 1920s by Gulf Oil Corp. But low oil prices soon led to abandonment, despite the fact that some of the wells in the field were producing 1,000 barrels of oil a day.

In fact, Erwin says, one of the wells he is drilling now had been drilled down to 3,200 feet in 1926 when a boulder rolled into the hole and burned up the boiler. Gulf Oil abandoned it, and it has not been drilled since.

Erwin has estimated the oil reserves under his first well at potentially 70,000 barrels, and TK Petrosearch has five to 10 more pay zones to drill on the land and leases it currently owns.

Archived