Metro gets federal funding for 2 proposed light rail lines

HtownWxBoy

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched a show on PBS about transportation in America. It talked about how we went from street cars and mass transit to cars and then now we are transitioning back to street cars and mass transit. They took a look at Portland, Denver and New York City and their pasts and future plans. I saw all the things that Portland did early on when freeways were popular that was the opposite of the rest of the nation. They have commuter light rail, those ski slope people movers, street cars, etc. Their street cars are what Houston calls light rail.

Had a little chat with a guy that is involved in Rail construction, he said they're bringing in people that were involved with the Big Dig to tighten up time lines and other procedures to make sure that it runs smoothly.

Don't ask.

:ph34r:

they're bringing in people that were involved with the Big Dig to tighten up time lines and other procedures to make sure that it runs smoothly.

Why!? That was one of the most botched transportation projects I could ever think of.

I just watched a show on PBS about transportation in America. It talked about how we went from street cars and mass transit to cars and then now we are transitioning back to street cars and mass transit. They took a look at Portland, Denver and New York City and their pasts and future plans. I saw all the things that Portland did early on when freeways were popular that was the opposite of the rest of the nation. They have commuter light rail, those ski slope people movers, street cars, etc. Their street cars are what Houston calls light rail.

Once again, you got it completely wrong. Houston's light rail system is much more similar to Portland's light rail than to Portland's street cars.

Archived