Uptown Houston Becoming More Dense

texasboy

tierwestahi was talking about the overall vibrancy of uptown as a whole for its high end shopping, malls, and tourism(despite lack of pedestrian friendly areas). It has cleaner atmosphere, better architecture (minus Mercer Tower).

I don't agree with this statement. Better Architecture? yes Williams tower is nice but can it stand up alone to decades of styles downtown? From the Esperson, Gulf Building to Pennzoil (NY Times Bldg of the Year), Nations Bank, etc., etc. The shame in most of these buildings is that the new towers cut themselves off from the street- community cemters, restaurants, diners, shops, were replaced with great buildings with restricted use office lobbys- This type of design in the 70's did a lot to kill downtown. Hopefully this time around we can get it right.

well that's why we're all different. i have my opinion and you got yours. I think most of the buildings in uptown history resemble modern, sleek architecture, that has a glassy look. Although many of the buildings downtown do have wonderful architecture, some of downtown's buildings look outdated, rusty, and boxy. If none of you agree with me. So be it! But i'm not going to change the way i feel about it.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Mr. X

Hey Pro,

You are welcomed to your opinion, but you are not correct. The proof is that uptown is a success and midtown, with all it's urban potential, is still a wasteland. For all your pointless complaining about uptown, what are you going to do about it - gripe until the Galleria is raised? You may need a tic tac or two before your done.

You remind me of a shouting quack doctor at a medicine show, trying to sell a cure to an ailment no one has.

Burying the hatchett now Pro, good luck.

X

In Comparision, her is a pic of Buckhead in Atlanta.

This area of buckhead would be like Houston's Richmond Ave.

Is Richmond that urban? I don't think so. While that area isn't the most urban place I have seen, It beats Richmond Ave. Atleast you can walk.

cars.jpg

Geeez my brutha, what is it with you and Atlanta. It's not that great. Take it from someone who is there a few times a year. I asked you before if you had been there and you responded that you had been there once. If that's still the case then I would advise you to take a trip to view some of these areas to find out what there really like. Trust me it's not like you make it out to be.

I'm curious and I don't mean this sarcastically. What has spurred this great interest in Atlanta? The reason I ask is that there are several other big cities with superior aminities to Atlanta. Also, what is so great about this picture? It looks rather lame to me.

What has spurred this great interest in Atlanta? The reason I ask is that there are several other big cities with superior aminities to Atlanta.

I like to compare Houston, Dallas and Atlanta because they share many similar situations faced by rapidly growing metros. These three population centers will play increasingly significant roles in the development of national society.

well that's why we're all different. i have my opinion and you got yours. I think most of the buildings in uptown history resemble modern, sleek architecture, that has a glassy look. Although many of the buildings downtown do have wonderful architecture, some of downtown's buildings look outdated, rusty, and boxy.  If none of you agree with me. So be it! But i'm not going to change the way i feel about it.

Tierwestah, you definetly are entitled to your opinion I am just trying to understand your stance on this issue.

What is 'vibrant' about uptown, do you have any specific examples. You're right it is a high traffic area but what is vibrant other then the huge popularity of the Galleria mall?

So you seriously think it is 'more vibrant, then downtown?

And what are some exmples of 'its great architecture' in your mind. Or do just think that the buildings are shiny with lots of glass- so that must equal great architecture?

Guest Professional Hornblower
Uptown blows downtown away for activity.

An average day downtown and the place is still empty compared to what's going on in Uptown.

What activity are you talking about in Uptown? lol.

Please elaborate...

Rice Village has a much much better "urban space" feel than Uptown. How come nobody is mentioning Rice Village/W.U.P.? Rice V. is an example of a successful pedestrian space...Uptown...isn't, unless you enjoy getting run over by Mercedes SUV's, driven by women with fur coats and fake +i+s.

-The man with the big horn.

Guest Professional Hornblower
most of the buildings in uptown history resemble modern, sleek architecture, that has a glassy look.

It seems to me you don't have any idea what "modern" architecture is. lol. Most of those buildings you're referring to were built in the early 80's.

Rice village may be a tight knit urban space, but I'd fear being hit by SUV and Mercedes over there much worse than in Uptown.

Cars are parked on top of each other left and right with people not looking out for pedstrians all the time.

Both places have lots of cars and activity of urbanity. Rice Village shows me that this Urban design does not alway reduce cars needed. A lot of the people still drive to go there. The difference is that they may park there and then spend the rest of their time there walking. That is a plus.

The new side of The Village is not that urban and looks like a development in Sugar Land somewhere. I like the old parts though. Where stores like Pier One are located. The side where Urban Outfitters is pretty cool too, but the newer addition with GAP, Footlocker, Eddie Bauer, Jamba Juice, etc are located are not in a walkable setting at all.

That's pretty much my feeling Texasboy.

I would like to say some attempts were made to help such as the parking garage and the roof top parking for employees, but some of the charme of the village style was lost by the continuity of the Village Arcade development.

In my opinion, both to Professional Hornblower and tierwestah, you were both letting your egos get the best of you and both of you all but my respects go to PH for conceding. Maybe time for both of you guys to call a truse.

Professional Hornblower, let the man have his own opinion, he already gave his reason as to why he felt the way he did about uptown. And i think Tierwestah was taking it as if you're trying to belittle his knowledge of Architecture/Urban Planning simply because you don't agree with him.

Tierwestah, try to be a little more civil on this board. I'm wondering if you're some thug or something. Learn to handle it better when someone challenges your opinion.

I somewhat agree with both of you though. Uptown activity level seems higher and more happening than downtown's dead atmosphere. This is quite deceiving though because uptown is more active at street level, but downtown has the tunnels and i've noticed are crowded during the weekday. The buildings in Uptown seem a lot newer and simply have a nicer look. I do agree with downtown's potential level though. It has more room to grow and become something even better than what Uptown is now. I think the way downtown is starting to plan itself is more in the step to the right direction for urban environment than uptown, plus as PH said, there's more diverse neighborhoods around downtown.

^^^

Why not? This forum is not a place to flex muscle and put down others. No one has (or should have) anything to prove by posting on this site.

This is not a place for a pissing match.

• The topic was unlocked

Archived