today was an awesome day to be out and about.

i came down to the i-fest with a friend from the woodlands today.

we parked at hermann park and road the new and improved choo choo over to the light rail line. we took the light rail to downtown and walked over to the international festival. we met some people on the light rail who were headed to the george r. brown for a book thing. $10 and you get a grocery sack full of as many books as you like. after we exhausted the offerings of the i-fest (didn't take too long) we walked over to the grb for the book thing but didn't find a bag full of anything we wanted........or, anything we wanted to carry around for the rest of the day. we stopped at the grove for mimosas and a cheese platter.....love that cheesy girl buff from silsbee!

headed back to the light rail and jumped off at hermann park. walked the promenade back to the car.

then, baba yega's, mimosas & sandwiches.

i know you inner loopers are in touch with the fun of living downtown, but for me and my friend, it was an amazing day. the woods has nothing on living in the loop. i'm seriously thinking about moving in to town.

what were you up to this beautiful day?

s1265694093_30386566_1322360.jpg

s1265694093_30386588_4594370.jpg

s1265694093_30386583_4116465.jpg

s1265694093_30386577_3183917.jpg

Damn I forgot all about the i-Fest!

I felt like crap around lunch, took some medicine, watched baseball, passed out for a bit, woke up feeling great so I did yardwork for a few hours. It was good times. I was surprised at how dry my yard was after the past few days, I guess that proves my drainage setup is working very well.

i know you inner loopers are in touch with the fun of living downtown, but for me and my friend, it was an amazing day. the woods has nothing on living in the loop.

Ha! Me and 20thStreetDad acted like Woodlanders and worked in the yard, while bachanon acts like an innerlooper at all the festivals and such. Somehow, I feel like I wasted my innerloopiness by only doing yardwork. :rolleyes:

We met some good friends from Cypress at Discovery Green for lunch and an afternoon of watching their two girls (2 and 4) running around the park. They absolutely loved it, you would have thought they had never seen a park before. We hung out with some cheap wine from Lakehouse while the kids played in the water, at the playground, at the listening vessels, even took some sort of aerobics class out on the lawn. The girls were asleep before they got to the car.

Man, I love that park. Now if we could just cancel summer weather! We made the comment more than once about this probably being one of the last nice weekends until October.

Now if you would have asked us about LAST Sunday, I would have said that we spent a few hours riding the Columbia Tap bike trail from Eastwood to Hermann Park, with a nice detour through Riverside Terrace. Now that they finally finished the all of the connections between the trail and the streets, it is a real pleasure to ride on. And the section through third ward is like a time warp with all of the boarded up shotgun houses.

Next weekend is JazzFest in NO!

We were heading out to Galveston, but the traffic on I-45 was really bad that we decided to take the kids to the zoo instead. I guess I should of check to see if there was any freeway closures before I left. We spent an hour on the freeway and still hadn't left Houston before we decided to change our plans.

The zoo was crowded. I had to park next to HMNS. Loads of people out, we still enjoyed ourselves....it was very nice day.

Did the laundry I couldn't do yesterday - I have a thing about white cotton shirts and like to hang them outside in the sun after washing to get that extra bit of bleaching in, plus they pick up the scent from the now-blooming star jasmine nearby. ^_^ Pups were half-crazy after all the rain, so they and my husband got nice long walks. Wound up with a trek to Firkin & Phoenix to watch most of the Penguins game and just get out - I don't do relentless rain well, though I'll say drainage seems to have improved in Oak Forest since Alison. During the lull, it only took about an hour before I was seeing visible signs of runoff. I'm not counting the gutter-clogged day after Ike.