Direct Buy? Does it live up to its sales pitch?

Have not used it. It is a scam. #1.) There is like a $5,000 up front "membership fee." Then you can buy their junk, from the their catalog. Stuff all over the internet on it. So if you buy 10's of thousands of dollars of stuff for your house, you might come out a little cheaper.

On TV: "We got our kitchen for $30,000 vs. $60,000. Thanks DirectBuy!"

I bought mine for less than $2000, last week. Thanks Ikea!

You can save a lot more, not using them.

I have heard it's a total high-pressure sales scam. You go to your private tour and then they tell you to sign up for a very expensive membership on the spot or you'll never get another chance to do it again, the reasoning being that now that you've seen their great prices you have an incentive to go shop their prices around to other retailers. I have also heard that customer service isn't too hot - late deliveries, wrong deliveries, hidden charges. Most people seem to think it's a good deal if you're going to spend 10's of thousands of dollars, but that otherwise it's not worth it.

Do a Google search for complaints and ripoffs on them and you'll find a lot.

Scam. $5000 up front fee. The first time you visit the showroom is the "only time you will ever be allowed to join". They actually have people that pretend they are joining while you are there to entice you to join also. The Bonus is that you don't save any money compared to shopping around.

Edited by rbarz

Have not used it. It is a scam. #1.) There is like a $5,000 up front "membership fee." Then you can buy their junk, from the their catalog. Stuff all over the internet on it. So if you buy 10's of thousands of dollars of stuff for your house, you might come out a little cheaper.

On TV: "We got our kitchen for $30,000 vs. $60,000. Thanks DirectBuy!"

I bought mine for less than $2000, last week. Thanks Ikea!

You can save a lot more, not using them.

Curious about the Ikea purchase. Are you installing them yourself, any issues with getting the proper measurements etc?

Scam. $5000 up front fee. The first time you visit the showroom is the "only time you will ever be allowed to join". They actually have people that pretend they are joining while you are there to entice you to join also. The Bonus is that you don't save any money compared to shopping around.

Anytime you pay money upfront for anything it's a scam. This is why I canceled my Home Warranty after the 1st year of owning my home. Tried it a couple of times and found it to be worthless, especially the additional $50 you pay for each visit on top of the $300 per year for the so-called service.

Insurance is a similar scam, pay premiums on a monthly basis but good luck actually collecting when you need to file a claim. Lot's of people after Ike are figuring this one out.

Curious about the Ikea purchase. Are you installing them yourself, any issues with getting the proper measurements etc?

I am installing them next week. Myself. I've done this before with Mills Pride (Home Depot), for another house. Between the two, the measurements are the same. You can do a direct replacement (12" for 12", 24" for 24" cabinet, etc). That is, even though the cabinets are "European" ... everything is measured in inches, geared toward American kitchens. Standard height, etc. We'll find out in about a week how it actually goes. But so far, OK.

• 1 month later...
Anytime you pay money upfront for anything it's a scam.

Like Sam's or Costco? Or having to buy 2010 season tickets to secure '09 Rocket playoff tickets? or like PSLs for the Texans? I don't think it's necessarily a scam if you have to pay upfront. We pay for college before getting a good job usually, right? Maybe that's not the greatest example.

I actually think Direct Buy best compares to Sam's and Costco; bulk stores. It's not worth it unless you have a big family. Same here. I have friends who used Direct Buy for Ike repair and since they were getting a lot, it was very well worth it. If you're not getting much, it's not. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a scam.

Edited by lockmat

Like Sam's or Costco? Yes. Or having to buy 2010 season tickets to secure '09 Rocket playoff tickets? Yes. or like PSLs for the Texans? Oh, most defintely YES! I don't think it's necessarily a scam if you have to pay upfront. We pay for college before getting a good job usually, right? Maybe that's not the greatest example.

I actually think Direct Buy best compares to Sam's and Costco; bulk stores. It's not worth it unless you have a big family. Same here. I have friends who used Direct Buy for Ike repair and since they were getting a lot, it was very well worth it. If you're not getting much, it's not. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a scam.