Reuse of Storage Tanks as Residences

Considering how much of the United States' manufacturing base is being liquidated in the midst of a global economic rut, I wonder whether it would be possible for someone to purchase used storage tanks or steel silos and use them as a shell in which a residence could be framed out. If they're a large diameter, I think that they would make a really neat space if laid out horizontally, but for smaller diameters and greater heights, I'd imagine that a neat multistory dwelling could be pulled off.

What would be the challenges as far as code compliance are concerned? Can you have ladders instead of stairs to save on square footage, and under what circumstances? What about windows? The walls are all curved, so operable windows would be problematic, I would think. You'd have to have escape hatches installed in each room, I suppose. And how about insulation? Is it enough to paint them glossy white, or would the steel become excruciatingly hot under the Texas sun?

Inquiring minds want to know.

For the heat issue, you could attach some sort of steel mesh and allow vines to grow over it.

I don't think you would have that many issues. The exterior shell would just be considered a decorative veneer. As long as the space is insulated, and is wired with plugs every 12 feet, it is somewhat compliant. I think you nailed it when you indicated that there has to be an operable window in the bedroom. But you would probably want one anyway - right?

I wish people would do more creative stuff like that inside Houston.

And how about insulation? Is it enough to paint them glossy white, or would the steel become excruciatingly hot under the Texas sun?

Inquiring minds want to know.

After becoming aware of the Cordell House a few months back, I've been looking into the financial feasibility of shipping containers for a future home. Different kind of storage tank, but same issues apply. Insulation isn't an issue - You can either furr out the inside walls with batting or there is a a Ceramic based paint that supposedly is not too much more expensive that when applied to metal that insulates just as well.

The Ceramic paint is fairly new technology and its effectiveness is still being debated... but it seems to have worked fine on the Cordell House.

Windows wouldn't be too much an issue.. you'd have to have them somewhere.. frame them out like dormers....

Edit:.. Or frame them inside the circumference like HeightBastrop's example.

Everything would be slightly more complicated dealing with a round framework, but it wouldnt be impossible.

After becoming aware of the Cordell House a few months back, I've been looking into the financial feasibility of shipping containers for a future home. Different kind of storage tank, but same issues apply. Insulation isn't an issue - You can either furr out the inside walls with batting or there is a a Ceramic based paint that supposedly is not too much more expensive that when applied to metal that insulates just as well.

The Ceramic paint is fairly new technology and its effectiveness is still being debated... but it seems to have worked fine on the Cordell House.

Windows wouldn't be too much an issue.. you'd have to have them somewhere.. frame them out like dormers....

Edit:.. Or frame them inside the circumference like HeightBastrop's example.

Everything would be slightly more complicated dealing with a round framework, but it wouldnt be impossible.

To be clear, this is an idea I thought about for myself, and for that reason I'd prefer that this be indistinguishable from typical industrial equipment, just finished out on the interior as a residence. If there have to be escape routes, I'd prefer to go with steel hatches and caged-in ladders. No windows. I'd like to have steel catwalks and the whole bit. Maybe I could find a couple of spherical pressure vessels and place them at the base of the larger tank. And I want to place it on a vacant lot in or near an uppity neighborhood, preferably near a church or school.

...ok, so this is sort of an architectural wet dream that'll never happen. ...yeah, yeah, I know, I know.

Still, using a spherical or short and wide pressure vessel as a shower enclosure would be fairly realistic and really neat.

If there have to be escape routes, I'd prefer to go with steel hatches and caged-in ladders. No windows. I'd like to have steel catwalks and the whole bit.

What is this.. The NicheLair ??

I'm having a hard time envisioning how small a container you are talking about in order to " laid them out horizontally".

You mean on their curvature, not standing up like the silo?

All bedrooms have to have emergency escape and rescue openings. There are size restrictions and height above the floor restrictions.

I don't think you can go the indoor ladder route, because in addition to the emergency escape opening, there are rules for the primary means of egress, which would include leaving the bedroom. Those rules include stairway criteria, and while i know spiral staircases are code compliant.. i have my doubts about ladders.

What is this.. The NicheLair ??

Hrmmm...yes. I'm going to start using that descriptor for all future domiciles.

I'm having a hard time envisioning how small a container you are talking about in order to " laid them out horizontally".

You mean on their curvature, not standing up like the silo?

Just start Google searching for "used pressure vessels", "used storage tanks", and "used silos". There are a couple of 10' 10" diameter 68-foot long propane storage tanks for sale in Copperas Cove that I saw last night, and that'd be wide enough and long enough to bother placing horizontally (on their curvature. But wider-diameter tanks would seem to be generally better if they're oriented vertically.

All bedrooms have to have emergency escape and rescue openings. There are size restrictions and height above the floor restrictions.

I don't think you can go the indoor ladder route, because in addition to the emergency escape opening, there are rules for the primary means of egress, which would include leaving the bedroom. Those rules include stairway criteria, and while i know spiral staircases are code compliant.. i have my doubts about ladders.

I have heard that prefab steel mezzanines are considered "equipment" and therefore subject to OSHA regs but not to International Building Code. Could a loophole exist such as that for the refurbishing of a pressure vessel for a different use?

A 10-11 foot diameter cylinder would not give you enough headroom. You'll have to put the floor at the midline to maximize floorsplace, which would make headroom only 5' 5". Putting the floor lower would increase headroom, but decrease floorspace.

Fire codes only require a window that opens in each bedroom. Not very restrictive. Likewise, catwalks and steel staircases are fine. I would bet that even a ladder would work, but have no confirmation on that. I would bet that a ship ladder would be OK.

BTW, the grain silo houses is utterly cool. I want one. :)

A 10-11 foot diameter cylinder would not give you enough headroom. You'll have to put the floor at the midline to maximize floorsplace, which would make headroom only 5' 5". Putting the floor lower would increase headroom, but decrease floorspace.

I worked through it in Sketchup. A floor elevated two feet from the cylinder wall works well as far as I'm concerned. Decreased floor space and irregular-shaped walls can be gotten around with some creativity, not unlike the floorplan of a sailboat.

But usually these storage tanks have had noxious chemicals inside (gasoline, sulfur, etc.)

Like popcorn smells in movie theater seats, the smell would be kind of difficult to remove.

Really, while possible, storage tank residences are not going to be the homes of the future, so to speak. It would be cheaper to tear it down and build a new building.

But usually these storage tanks have had noxious chemicals inside (gasoline, sulfur, etc.)

Like popcorn smells in movie theater seats, the smell would be kind of difficult to remove.

Storage tanks can be used for all sorts of purposes, including chemicals, but also all kinds of grain, crushed rock, cement, food, water, wine, propane, agricultural feed, and so on and so forth. They're used all the time in food processing.

Even if a storage tank has been used for gasoline, it is possible to clean it out to the point where it wouldn't pose a health risk. It just takes a lot of effort by some guys in what looks like space suits.

Really, while possible, storage tank residences are not going to be the homes of the future, so to speak. It would be cheaper to tear it down and build a new building.

I don't think anybody said that they were the homes of the future. I just want one is all...me personally. If cost were all that mattered to me, I'd live in a single-story windowless hardiplank shed with bare concrete floors, a square-shaped foundation, and only one room.

Don't underestimate hassle of curved walls. Unless all of your furniture is bean bag based, it's going to be a pain in the ass.

What, you think I'm going to spend a ridiculous amount per square foot on my lair and then stock it with all the free furniture I've accumulated as hand-me-downs since I first started college? No, this is a situation where all furniture and fixtures are custom-built for the application.

What, you think I'm going to spend a ridiculous amount per square foot on my lair and then stock it with all the free furniture I've accumulated as hand-me-downs since I first started college? No, this is a situation where all furniture and fixtures are custom-built for the application.

I think you'll stock it with whatever you can cram in the hatch. Bean bags might be the best design direction.

I think you'll stock it with whatever you can cram in the hatch. Bean bags might be the best design direction.

Obviously hatches may need to be replaced with others of greater diameter. Kitchen appliances have to be able to be brought in and installed; and it has to accommodate the movement of a large flat-screen television. Again, think with a mind to sailboat architecture. It doesn't take too large of an opening. ...though perhaps the trick is to develop some kind of a trap door system in the floors if it were vertically oriented.

I'm not settling on bean bags.

So, veering away from realistic obstructionists seeking to ruin my fun...

Here's a link to an example of some silos that would do the job nicely.

With a diameter of 13 feet and a height of 22 feet, I would have 133 square feet of floor space per level. Walls would in this case be curved along a horizontal plane, making for a somewhat easier configuration using caged OSHA-grade ladders on the interior with perhaps a wrap-around spiral staircase along the exterior. Given that there are cones at the top and bottom, I could probably squeeze three levels out of each silo. The first level would be a kitchen and half bath, the second level would be a bedroom and half bath, and the third level would be a study/media center (basically just a swivel chair in the middle of a circular desk wrapping around the chair from one side of the ladder to the other). This particular silo has 9" diameter sight glasses situated every 5 1/2 feet up, a neat amenity. Then purchase and weld something like this (although perhaps a foot taller) alongside the main structure and somewhat below it, using this smaller pressure vessel as a self-contained shower (which could be plugged at the bottom and turned into a six-foot diameter bathtub room. Another one of these of the same size could be situated alongside and slightly removed from the shower enclosure and contain a small guest quarters. Anyone who would dare visit my lair would then have to spend the night inside the spatial approximation of my left testicle. ...I'm liking this idea more and more.

The plumbing and electrical will be exposed? Any A/C or heating?

Those are easy issues to solve for. Put everything in steel pipes, brace them along a vertical raceway along the wall next to the ladder, and ensure that all plumbing requirements are on the lower floors wherever possible. For A/C and heating, use a mini-split system with a heat pump. Use an electric tankless water heater.

• 2 months later...

Archived