March Madness-themed DWI sweeps

editor

DA Starts First "March Madness" DWI Testing Weekends

Houston, TX - The first "March Madness" anti-DWI enforcement campaign will be deployed during remaining weekends of a month marked by the potent mix of drinking associated with Spring Break, NCAA basketball playoffs and other festivities, District Attorney Patricia Lykos announced Thursday.

Prosecutors and area law enforcement patrols will be using the "No Refusal" program to target widely varying sections of Harris County on Friday and Saturday nights. They can gain expedited court warrants authorizing intoxication tests for suspects who decline voluntary breath or blood testing.

"Impaired drivers are going to find out you can't 'beat' a DWI by refusing to be tested," explained prosecutor Brent Mayr, head of the DA's Vehicular Crimes Section. "These March events attract young motorists, and some of them are likely to make the irresponsible decision to drink and drive."

Reflecting the wide-ranging scope of the operations, testing teams will be based at the Houston Police Department's Central Intox Facility downtown, the HPD substation in Kingwood, and the Precinct 8 Constable's station in Clear Lake. That will provide any police agency from around the county with access to testing units during enforcement nights.

The program prioritizes public safety by getting intoxicated drivers off the roadways before they cause what can be deadly crashes.

"During Spring Break, there are a lot of college students going to and from college, and a lot of families on vacation," Mayr said. "We want to keep all them safe by reducing this threat."

National statistics show that young adults (from 21 to 34 years old) accounted for almost 40 percent of alcohol-related driving deaths in 2007. Of drivers between 15 and 20 years old who died in 2006 crashes nationally, 25 percent had blood-alcohol levels of .08 or higher.

They already do Austin type things like this. Except Austin is year round. Like waiting in Whataburger parking lots, checking the drive-thru customers, and a state trooper at every exit on the freeways.

Downtown Houston has check points set up, checking during red lights, usually in a ring around Main street, two blocks down. I'm surprised they don't do that around westheimer by their Katz's sub station.

Just a minute ago in the news, they spoke about this briefly and sadly enough showed a young newlywed couple sitting in the courtroom waiting for the judge. Seems they partied a tad too much and got busted on their wedding night.

Depressing way to spend a honeymoon (and with a hangover) Rats. :blush:

Prosecutors and area law enforcement... can gain expedited court warrants authorizing intoxication tests for suspects who decline voluntary breath or blood testing. "Impaired drivers are going to find out you can't 'beat' a DWI by refusing to be tested," explained prosecutor Brent Mayr

Um, what are they going to do if I refuse to test voluntarily; hold me down on the ground, stick a needle in my arm, and take blood BY FORCE?

Ask them if you are being detained; if no, drive away, if yes, ask what the charges are. Then if you really don't understand the charges, say so and say you need to speak with a lawyer before you do anything.

Edit: I have no idea if this will work to "get out" of a DUI but I think this is the best thing to do when you encounter a cop. There are cops that are ethically bankrupt and will become extremely deceptive to pull in a haul so you need to protect yourself.

Ask them if you are being detained; if no, drive away, if yes, ask what the charges are. Then if you really don't understand the charges, say so and say you need to speak with a lawyer before you do anything.

Edit: I have no idea if this will work to "get out" of a DUI but I think this is the best thing to do when you encounter a cop. Most cops are ethically bankrupt and will lie about anything to pull in a haul so you need to protect yourself.

Sorry, but that is one of the most idiotic things you can do.

If a cop pulls you over, just do what he asks. Don't mouth off to him or anything.

Don't try to use legal excuses or tricks, etc. Because that will only piss off the cops.

Montrose is a good example of what happens when you play sidewalk lawyer during a traffic stop.

BTW montrose, whatever became of that?

Dude, this is NOTHING compared to the outrage the Libs. are having up here. The APD is having the same kind of weekend, THIS weekend, and THIS weekend is SXSW. This is why the Libs. are outraged, because it interferes with their drinking and driving goodtimes after a night on 6th St.

Dude, this is NOTHING compared to the outrage the Libs. are having up here. The APD is having the same kind of weekend, THIS weekend, and THIS weekend is SXSW. This is why the Libs. are outraged, because it interferes with their drinking and driving goodtimes after a night on 6th St.

:lol: Yep it's those damn libs! The've infiltrated the DA's office here also. :lol:

If a cop pulls you over, just do what he asks. Don't mouth off to him or anything.

Don't try to use legal excuses or tricks, etc. Because that will only piss off the cops.

It's definitely not a trick -- and wanting a lawyer is only an "excuse" in Stockholm Syndrome world. In fact, if the cops are capable of getting pissed off by that, then that kind of proves my point -- that you really should get a lawyer. If they don't understand the law then they shouldn't be enforcing it.

Truth be told if you're pulled over for drinking (or for whatever), then doing what he asks --including doing the breathalyzer, doing gymnastics as a means of proving "sobriety", etc-- would actually be "one of the most idiotic things you can do."

It's definitely not a trick -- and wanting a lawyer is only an "excuse" in Stockholm Syndrome world. In fact, if the cops are capable of getting pissed off by that, then that kind of proves my point -- that you really should get a lawyer. If they don't understand the law then they shouldn't be enforcing it.

Chances are very good they understand the law much better than you do. Even if they don't, they have a judge on call to make the tough decisions, and he'll decide to take your blood. They did this last Halloween. We already had this discussion.

Chances are very good they understand the law much better than you do.

Ugh. Then a person should definitely have a lawyer as the go-between.

I also think it's sick that judges can do that, but I get the feeling this is one of those rights we won't be getting back. I also *almost* think "death by cop" would be preferable to some psychopath sticking stuff in my arm by force. Almost :)

• 1 month later...

Montrose is a good example of what happens when you play sidewalk lawyer during a traffic stop.

BTW montrose, whatever became of that?

From my experience... 1 in 8 cops (usually state troopers who have long-haul streches of highway during graveyard shifts) are the good cops who are more concerned with your safety & well being then filling a quota to make money.

For example, I was traveling 69 mph in a 65 mph (at night), trying to get around these 18 Wheelers who were constantly speeding up or slowing down. He pulled me over, made sure I had my ID & Insurance, told me to slow down and not worry about the big macs. He said that if the one infront of you slams their brakes, your screwed because they can stop faster then you. Just wrote me a saftey warning, and told me to be careful.

And for the other kind (Like my January problem), the Cop made an "Illegal" stop. The police officer should have had a legit reason for stopping me, like say if I was running someone else off the road, hitting curbs, not staying in my lane, etc. Also, the caller didn't have any specific details with the call to the dispatcher. Not only that, but he stoped me on Private Property, after following me for a good length of Cypresswood Dr. And on top of that, he towed my SUV when my mom was right there, just so he could make the comission with the tow truck & shop (it was illegal too). The DA threw the case out the window... of course it took 4 months to get to that point, but thus is the Harris County Criminal Court system.

Anywho... What is my suggestion for getting pulled over? Don't drink & drive in the first place. Even two beers can get you in a bunch of hububaloo. Call a Taxi. Liberty Taxi has great rates. from Downtown to Spring is like $45!! Thats better then the Gas money you'll spend driving/being driven to the Court House Downtown, the $11 UA fees (at random, and before court), the constant calls & hassel with Pre-Trial Services, the $2,000-$5,000 it will take for a good lawyer (usually additional $2,000 if the case goes to Trial), the $500 Bond, Parking Money for Downtown, $170 for ARL Hearing, meeting new friends at County, the Frozen Bologney Sandwiches, drinking from the sinks above the toilets, and the fact it could be on your record for the rest of your life. Not to mention the b/s holy-er then thou speeches from family & friends who do the same thing but never have been caught.

But if you do get pulled over, keep your hands up & flat palms on the top of the steering wheel. Cops see & deal with alot of dangerous situations. He/She doesn't know you, that you may be a good, god-fearing citizen. So keep your hands in their sight at all times, have your ID & Insurance ready in your left hand with the window down already before they walk up.

If the cop suspects you're DUI/DWI, there isn't much you can do to prove him otherwise (unless you know that you will not fail the Breath-a-lizer, which can also not be completely accurate). If he asks you to step out of your vehicle, you might as well know you might be going to Jail. Being tired can easily fail any of the 8 signs they look for when they make you balance, move your eyes, etc. So if you think this cop is a dick head, then refuse to do anything (if you know you are going to jail). Don't say a word. Don't open your mouth until you have spoken to a lawyer. Don't give them anything to use to built up a case against you.

FYI, even if you get someone to bail you out, they don't let you out of the jail until 12am. So let your family know, so they don't sit out of the jail for hours. Even if they take you out of the holding cells and into the one before you get out, you will be there until 12am. Maybe not even then, it depends on the other people in the cell, if they just shut up and wait then you are in luck. If they have something to prove or can't shut their mouth, then forget it. The officers in the Jail will harass you like no other, so just swallow your pride and give them the power they so eagerly expect. You can tell by the way some of them cuss at you, it seems like a 5 year old who just learned the F word, and uses it with almost every word. But don't laugh...

Okie Dokie, sorry for the long post & being off topic.

Archived