A city ON the sea 3 yeara away

Here is the article

I am wondering if they had really thought this through with their basic infrastructure and support needs.

Great that thet want to be independant, they probably won't be if they are looking get rid of their waste and defense against piracy.

I am not too worried about the energy needs, but they are somewhat limited to wave action and current powered turbines. They wouldn't be able to use windmills because it would be rather uncool to have a seagull drop out of the sky because it was sliced in two by the blades.

They wouldn't be able to use windmills because it would be rather uncool to have a seagull drop out of the sky because it was sliced in two by the blades.

I don't know. Sounds kinda cool to me.

Do they even have seagulls out at that distance ?

This is actually a design comp atm

http://bldgblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/seast...ompetition.html

The cultural possibilities for these offshore spaces are effectively without limit – and they would be self-policed, falling outside the bounds of international law. This opens up a number of legal (not to mention moral) quandaries.

Baker reports that Patri Friedman, the Institute's co-founder and executive director, speaking at a Bay Area conference held last fall, "notes that some enterprises – like euthanasia clinics – would incense local authorities, but almost all the ideas attendees [at that conference] come up with would capitalize on activities that skirt existing laws and regulations: Fish farming and aquaculture. Prisons. Med schools. Gold warehouses. Brothels. Cryonics intakes. Gene therapy, cloning, augmentation, and organ sales. Baby farms. Deafeningly loud concerts. Rehab/detox clinics. Zen retreats. Abortion clinics. Ultimate ultimate fighting tournaments."

Archived