who is your favorite architectural firm and why?

i'm still fascinated with the "birds nest" stadium built for the olympics. it's way cool that they took a symbol of prosperity for the chinese people and designed a stadium to reflect this ideal. i can't quite get my brain around it. and then there is the "cube". simply amazing.

who are you fascinated with lately?

i'm still fascinated with the "birds nest" stadium built for the olympics. it's way cool that they took a symbol of prosperity for the chinese people and designed a stadium to reflect this ideal. i can't quite get my brain around it. and then there is the "cube". simply amazing.

The Associated Press reported that

"The area around Beijing's massive Bird's Nest stadium will be turned into a shopping and entertainment complex in three to five years, a state news agency said Friday.Officially known as the Beijing National Stadium, the showpiece of the Beijing Olympics has fallen into disuse since the end of the games. Paint is already peeling in some areas, and the only visitors these days are tourists..."

This is going to make me look stupid & lazy, but you don't know how much of an impossible hassel using the internet on my phone.

Anywho, the Architect who designed the Hobby Center. I was browsing through a book they made, and almost all of their projects were so interesting. The interior design was so detailed & ornamented nicely. Except I didn't like the Disney Boardwalk, or Tokyo Disney Hotel. And a few of their college campus buildings.

Bulldozing the homes of peasants to make room and throwing them in re-education camp for 3 years if they complain to build a symbol of prosperity for the Chinese people, lovely, just lovely.

Anywho, the Architect who designed the Hobby Center. I was browsing through a book they made, and almost all of their projects were so interesting. The interior design was so detailed & ornamented nicely. Except I didn't like the Disney Boardwalk, or Tokyo Disney Hotel. And a few of their college campus buildings.

Robert AM Stern; and yes this means you have bad taste in architecture :P

j/k it does mean you have very conservative tastes though (think regent square). Stern was well published by the late '70's and has taken the market approach to architecture much like Andy Warhol took to art in the '70's and '80's. Still can't hold a candle to the intellectual prowess that was Charles Moore.

My favorite architect changes faster than my doors, atm I'm really into the tactile effect of David Adjaye's work. There was a great exhibit at Artpace in SA last fall that convinced me of this.

Robert AM Stern; and yes this means you have bad taste in architecture :P

j/k it does mean you have very conservative tastes though (think regent square). Stern was well published by the late '70's and has taken the market approach to architecture much like Andy Warhol took to art in the '70's and '80's. Still can't hold a candle to the intellectual prowess that was Charles Moore.

My favorite architect changes faster than my doors, atm I'm really into the tactile effect of David Adjaye's work. There was a great exhibit at Artpace in SA last fall that convinced me of this.

I just love the Commercial Georgian style building they did in Boston a few years back, and the Residential Towers along Battery City Park. But mostly, their interior designs, with lots of light, columns, and white paint. Conservative, yes, but done very nicely. I have mixed views of the outside of the Hobby Center, except the Glass front.

But that's not the only architecture I like, I get goo goo ga ga over the crazy stuff recently built in China & Europe.

Does it also mean I have bad taste that my favorite skyscraper is Tower 42 in London?

Tower 42

wow, you got me there..

I'd take the Gherkin over it anyday, but I've never been to London so I don't wanna jump to conclusions.

My issue with the Hobby was it's programming lead to it's turning it's back on the bayou which was/is to be developed into some sort of park. Now it's a no man's land affronted by a hulking parking garage.

Postmodernism is winding down now and we are in a transition between it and a new form modernism.

Tower 42

wow, you got me there..

I'd take the Gherkin over it anyday, but I've never been to London so I don't wanna jump to conclusions.

My issue with the Hobby was it's programming lead to it's turning it's back on the bayou which was/is to be developed into some sort of park. Now it's a no man's land affronted by a hulking parking garage.

Postmodernism is winding down now and we are in a transition between it and a new form modernism.

Yeah the way it was designed pretty much raped the bayou of any hopes of sprucing up the area (like the parking garage). But with 45 the way it is, the Bayou will never fully come to its potential fruitation. And now that huge parking garage in front of the Double Tree... what the hell were they thinking?

As for Tower 42...

I just love the shape, and the contrasting (newer) lobby. I guess I'm a sucker for Mod buildings...

I always wondered what came after "post-modernism". How can we define something new without it technically being Modern. But then again, after the Art Deco Era, is when the "Modern" World we know today really started taking form.

That's if the world doesn't end in 2012!

• 2 weeks later...

Renzo Piano - particularly his firm's smaller commissions.

Locally, I thought the Tom Wilson/Bill Anderson residential firm was stellar in its day, and I suspect they still do fine work independently.

(e.g., Westgate/Mid Lane 1980s, Ferndale Place, David Crockett subdiv. and customs in T'wood, etc.)

Creative, attractive and practical.

Yes +1 to Finn - many keepers

Klamrath also often stellar.

InfiniteJim - checked out D. Adjaye's latest major US commission?

It's Denver's "MOMA"...VERY tough site (shoehorned-in). It's not gaudy, but remains appealing day or night and "fits" the hood.

(it's not to be confused w/the higher-profile Liebskind(sp?) museum commission, which is cool in a very different way.)

• 2 weeks later...
InfiniteJim - checked out D. Adjaye's latest major US commission?

It's Denver's "MOMA"...VERY tough site (shoehorned-in). It's not gaudy, but remains appealing day or night and "fits" the hood.

(it's not to be confused w/the higher-profile Liebskind(sp?) museum commission, which is cool in a very different way.)

There was a model of this project at Artpace. Looks good, I guess it's kinda true what everybody says about boundaries making Architecture.

My new favorite is J. Prince-Ramus's hubris and how he back hands the prevailing "high baroque post modernism" that is all the rags. http://www.esquire.com/features/best-and-b...ince-ramus-1208

Archived