I Love Going To Clubs, Going To Bars With My Friends

playing billiards. There's a place near my home that serves beer and burgers and it's my NBA spot. Good times.

But they're not places I would bring a date. If she were my girlfriend or wife, sure no problem.

What types of nighttime events are great for people (single people included) who want to drink beer, but not necessarily stay in a club-like environment? Art events? I want to look for events where I won't feel self-concious for being by myself while groups of friends are sitting down on sofa #1, sofa #2, lounge sofa #3...

And at the same time a place where live music is played in the background...from jazz to a hip hop DJ. I keep thinking of art events and those museum parties.

Here's the thing...I'm a student, really an ordinary person, and I'm not an uber-hip socialite.

Yeah, just wondering...I browsed Meetup.com and couldn't find anything.

playing billiards. There's a place near my home that serves beer and burgers and it's my NBA spot. Good times.

But they're not places I would bring a date. If she were my girlfriend or wife, sure no problem.

What types of nighttime events are great for people (single people included) who want to drink beer, but not necessarily stay in a club-like environment? Art events? I want to look for events where I won't feel self-concious for being by myself while groups of friends are sitting down on sofa #1, sofa #2, lounge sofa #3...

And at the same time a place where live music is played in the background...from jazz to a hip hop DJ. I keep thinking of art events and those museum parties.

Here's the thing...I'm a student, really an ordinary person, and I'm not an uber-hip socialite.

Yeah, just wondering...I browsed Meetup.com and couldn't find anything.

I recommend a comedy club like Laff Stop. They have drinks, food, and a funny show. Plus if you friend them on Myspace for example you can get lots of tickets free. This idea deletes the background music being played and replaces it with a Stand-up performance, but keeps you from having to hold her interest all night via conversation alone. Plus, after the show, you have inside jokes based on stuff the comedian said that only you two would know (not counting everyone else in the audience) and can build off of if the relationship is destined to head anywhere.

Afterall, I wouldn't recommend it if it didn't already work for me in the past ;) . You're welcome.

Arts events would be perfect! Join Facebook or Myspace groups or sign up for alerts from Spacetaker, Fresh Arts Coalition, and Artshound to get notified of visual and performing arts events. They're a good start to keeping up with all the stuff going on at DiverseWorks, Mildred's Umbrella, Discovery Green, and other spaces. This is happening tomorrow night, for example. http://www.spacetaker.org/event/?event_id=...2-17%2022:00:00 Houston has a very vibrant arts scene. Come out and support it!

Arts events would be perfect! Join Facebook or Myspace groups or sign up for alerts from Spacetaker, Fresh Arts Coalition, and Artshound to get notified of visual and performing arts events. They're a good start to keeping up with all the stuff going on at DiverseWorks, Mildred's Umbrella, Discovery Green, and other spaces. This is happening tomorrow night, for example. http://www.spacetaker.org/event/?event_id=...2-17%2022:00:00 Houston has a very vibrant arts scene. Come out and support it!

You can definitely make a good date night out of a Friday night gallery opening crawl. And if you're with a date that sticks, nothing makes a better gift than a piece by an artist you saw on a night out.

Or you could just go to bar with a good jukebox.

• The title was changed to I Love Going To Clubs, Going To Bars With My Friends