Katy Schools

rafe

I go to Mayde Creek HS and supposedly its the worst out of the Katy schools, but it isn't that horrible. I feel safe there, it's all about who you hang out with that depends on how your experience will be. Leave the bad kids alone and they'll leave you alone.

Go there during a school day, and find out ;).

Since I probably won't have the chance to go there on a school day, please elaborate. It sure looks like a beautiful campus passing down Franz Road, and of course it is brand new, so that's a plus.

My (step) kids went to Mayde Creek and it's a good school. In general, the homes on the North side of the Katy Freeway, which is where Mayde Creek is, are smaller, older, and less expensive than those on the South Side, though there are lots of exceptions. This has an impact on the demographic makeup of the student body, I guess.

In general, Katy schools are excellent.

Can you go in a school during a school day to observe how it is?

Dunno. Possibly. Possibly not. I went to a private school growing up and they encouraged prospective parents to visit and see the classes in action before paying for their child to attend. If the local public school is hostile to you wanting to take a tour, how they treat your request might speak volumes. Be sure to call before you go. I think they might freak out if you just showed up.

At Klein schools, everyone who is not faculty or students must check in at the front office and get a visitor badge to wear. I'm sure that any school, if notified in advance, would be more than happy to have someone from the office give you a tour of the school as well as answer any questions you might have. Good luck!

Since I probably won't have the chance to go there on a school day, please elaborate.  It sure looks like a beautiful campus passing down Franz Road, and of course it is brand new, so that's a plus.

My (step) kids went to Mayde Creek and it's a good school.  In general, the homes on the North side of the Katy Freeway, which is where Mayde Creek is, are smaller, older, and less expensive than those on the South Side, though there are lots of exceptions.  This has an impact on the  demographic makeup of the student body, I guess.   

In general, Katy schools are excellent.

You know the saying "don't judge a book by its cover", the same goes for Morton Ranch High. That school has some serious issues. My cousin substitutes there. There are fights all the time. The TAKS scores are among the lowest in Katy I.S.D. Two kids have killed themselves from that school(both were in my cousin's class). A lot of scary gothic kids that stand outside the school all the time. The area of Katy that its in houses the most low-income students. Very illiterate school.

People around the area were upset in how much beauty went into Morton Ranch because of the area it was in, it was, "too nice for the area".

I really want you to try and take the time to see the school inside, in person. You be the judge.

You know the saying "don't judge a book by its cover", the same goes for Morton Ranch High. That school has some serious issues. My cousin substitutes there. There are fights all the time. The TAKS scores are among the lowest in Katy I.S.D. Two kids have killed themselves from that school(both were in my cousin's class). A lot of scary gothic kids that stand outside the school all the time. The area of Katy that its in houses the most low-income students. Very illiterate school.

People around the area were upset in how much beauty went into Morton Ranch because of the area it was in, it was, "too nice for the area".

I really want you to try and take the time to see the school inside, in person. You be the judge.

How can the TAKS scores be the lowet in Katy when this is the first year of the school and TAKS is next week?

I disagree with some of your cousins statements. I live right off of Mason Rd. close to the Mortons in Bridge Water, and we may not be Cinco Ranch or the Taylor area, but we can still survive, it's not like were living in the ghetto over here.

Also there are fights at all of the schools, I would say there are more fights at Mayde Creek than at Morton Ranch.

Another thing, is unforunately kids from all schools could and do commit suicide; from Katy, Mayde Creek, Taylor, Cinco Ranch, and Morton Ranch.

And lastly, its bad because "scary gothic" kids stand outside? I drive by that school everyday on my way to and from school and I don't see a lot of scary gothic kids standing around. Even if they did, thats what kids do, they stand and socialize be it a gothic kid, a kicker, or a thug type.

Thats my view.

• 6 months later...
So Talbot and others, would you all recommend me to move by Mayde Creek High or not?

Please don't. Mayde Creek is one of the two schools (Morton Ranch being the second) that any pregant girls are sent to. There are many gang 'conflicts' and the academic standards are NOT good. If you want a better education for your child, do NOT move there.

There are five other schools in Katy ISD:

Katy - this school is more 'athleticly' motivated; better school rates, but there are a bunch of drugs

Taylor - academicly and sport motivated; slowly making a down ward curve

Cinco - sports movtivated; pretty good (not too good of teachers), but with the current scandal...

Seven Lakes - academicly and sports motivated; new school, pretty calm

Morton Ranch - not motivated; quickly becoming one of the worst schools in Katy ISD (deaths, pregancy - building a day care, it's gotten so bad -, etc)

Take a good long look and see if you can get the school's academic 'report cards'. But from personal intrest, if your child wants to be in PreAP at Cinco, you aren't going to get help and they are 'tough'. Teacher's really don't care and there is desperate cheating over there.

Really, the only thing you have to worry about in Katy schools, are the Coaches stalking your 16yr. old daughter at 6:00am. Although, it happened in Cinco Ranch, and Cinco really doesn't consider themselves part of Katy. If you haven't heard about this story, well, it happen just yesterday, so if you need more details.

Lily, you forgot about the dominant presence of Crystal Meth, all over Taylor High.

Edited by TJones

So Talbot and others, would you all recommend me to move by Mayde Creek High or not?

If you have other options, then choose those, but if you do have to go to Mayde Creek it isn't a death sentence or anything.

Pregnant girls are sent to our school.

Go here for the schools report card, Report Card

And no matter where your kid goes to school they're gonna run into drugs and they will most likely be pressured to try drugs and drink alcohol.

A good friend of mine here at work is pulling her child out of Mayde Creek, her girl is a freshman, she has 2 others behind her, so they are selling their house also, and finding a house to allow the girls to go to either Katy High, or Seven Meadows. B)

And no matter where your kid goes to school they're gonna run into drugs and they will most likely be pressured to try drugs and drink alcohol.

talbot is correct - pay a zillion dollars for the private school, or enroll in any public school, and your kids will still be introduced to drugs, alcohol, sex (and its cousin pregnancy).

it's more about how your kids will respond to these things, which, some say, has to do with their parents and upbringing B)

Edited by sevfiv

A good friend of mine here at work is pulling her child out of Mayde Creek, her girl is a freshman, she has 2 others behind her, so they are selling their house also, and finding a house to allow the girls to go to either Katy High, or Seven Meadows. B)

Don't they have open enrollment at Katy ISD? (Open enrollment is where a kid can go to any school that he or she is not zoned to as long as he or she does not have to rely on school bus transportation).

Don't they have open enrollment at Katy ISD? (Open enrollment is where a kid can go to any school that he or she is not zoned to as long as he or she does not have to rely on school bus transportation).

Hmmmm, hadn't thought of that, maybe that is something my friend should look into, her daughter is a good kid, and there is alot of ghetto type mentality running around that school.

They have open enrollment in Houston ISD, and many kids from poorer neighborhoods go to schools in richer neighborhoods that have better reputations. E.G. a kid living in the Third Ward who does not want to go to Yates High can take the METRO to Lamar High (in the Upper Kirby district) instead. Lamar High is huge (3,000) and mainly white collar, while Yates is having enrollment issues and has a mainly blue collar population.

Not that I know of. You're child goes to the schools your neighborhoond is zoned too, unless you're a teacher in that school/feed.

Move to Seven Meadows, we need more freshman at SLHS! (Trust me, enrollment isn't over 1,000 yet. We have about 400 -tops- sophomores. Yeah, we're small).

Note on the Cinco Ranch scandal - Yes, I have heard. A tad disturbing since I went there last year. And a girl I know older sister was good friends with him (the coach). My coach went to the same college as him, though he was two years older. The girl who was peeped on, Heather, was in my Geometry class. I also know for a fact that background checks are being redone for all teachers. This is not something Cinco Ranch needs after the 'intercourse' scandal from last year and the 'club' scandals. Not a good time for Katy ISD, but the 'stros are pulling the attention back to them and away from the Cinco scandal, thank goodness.

I go to Mayde Creek but my dads neighborhood which i am registered under goes to Morton Ranch, and my moms neighborhood goes to Katy.

But I was also a junior when Morton Ranch opened and I drive to school too, so that may have something to do with it.

• 4 weeks later...

I would absolutely LOVE to move to the Seven Lakes area but there is a problem. I work on Long Point and it would take forever to get from home to work if I move there. Do anyone of you live in the Seven Lakes area and do you know how long it takes to go to Long Point or downtown from there?

Thanks