Atlanta's Buckead Area

I found these on Skyscrapercity and thought I should post them here. I was just wondering how an area like this so far from the CBD can develop so urban (as in there is an area in Buckhead with buildings right next to each other). Is it because of zoning? Is that why buildings in Uptown aren't clustered?

It's just simply amazing to see what has gone up in just the last 3 years.

Here is the are in the early 70s:

3246317753_cf3776b610.jpg?v=0

Here it is now:

buckhead.jpg

Buckhead1.jpg

3630 Peachtree

Picture%20085.jpg

Picture%20086.jpg

Picture%20087.jpg

Picture%20098.jpg

The new giants of Buckhead

Picture%20088.jpg

Picture%20089.jpg

Picture%20090.jpg

Phipp's Tower

Picture%20091.jpg

Picture%20095.jpg

Alliance Center

Picture%20092.jpg

Picture%20093.jpg

Picture%20094.jpg

Picture%20108.jpg

Picture%20109.jpg

W Conversion

Picture%20110.jpg

Picture%20111.jpg

Picture%20112.jpg

Picture%20113.jpg

3162636997_c8011d8621_b.jpg

Two Alliance Center

3162637851_c0cf9eaffd_b.jpg

St. Regis

3163470236_dbec07530c_b.jpg

3162639663_195bd18e60_b.jpg

3163474164_8509d6c822_b.jpg

3163473022_c9f4b68cc4_b.jpg

3162640881_843c22e364_b.jpg

3162645041_6bbbaafc2d_b.jpg

3163477280_8104a4cc29_b.jpg

3162646395_96f5a35da3_b.jpg

3162647779_5dc2e9dbfb_b.jpg

3162647001_d0efc6560f_b.jpg

3163480488_0cf8af32cb_b.jpg

Growing SOB in background.

3163481254_b3366c52e8_b.jpg

3162650559_af09f431e0_b.jpg

3162651167_d876131ea1_b.jpg

3163483734_c712e5a8be_b.jpg

3162681619_c6f1d5b8e1_b.jpg

Two Alliance Center U/C

3162683029_6e6a54aced_b.jpg

Terminus 200 is just about finshed

3162684729_813d2db2d0_b.jpg

Terminus Complex

3163505552_90b795e233_b.jpg

3162677499_b924a2a75e_b.jpg

3163503204_eae5559d70_b.jpg

O5 Buckhead finishing up.

3162669357_d43c89aa68_b.jpg

Phipps Tower

3162670079_8262293b8f_b.jpg

The Mansion with Two Alliance U/C in backgroud

3163506908_8bbfd05466_b.jpg

3162672705_ed2c517660_b.jpg

3163492198_7ff98a7367_b.jpg

Terminus 200

3163492762_3dc051e15f_b.jpg

Terminus 10

3163493628_81ecef5fb0_b.jpg

3163503706_2336d44a52_b.jpg

3163510934_36c3685386_b.jpg

More of the Terminus Complex

3163510164_f199a73ca5_b.jpg

3162665029_9c2a70fc30_b.jpg

3163494248_98c5971dc6_b.jpg

3162680301_18f9e0f192_b.jpg

3162662889_ab97ce8ee6_b.jpg

You can see CRAFT Restaurant here. NICE interiors!

3163495398_cf4c04a2b5_b.jpg

3162675595_541497d083_b.jpg

3162682171_305c8c419e_b.jpg

3163511554_d63bef000e_b.jpg

3162667247_2402a993b0_b.jpg

3162666631_a73a80a460_b.jpg

3162674249_aef5f1d594_b.jpg

3162667919_0e8c4fea0c_b.jpg

3162683723_0b6d5a6e33_b.jpg

Buckhead isn't really all that far from downtown Atlanta. From the center of one to the center of the other is 5.85 miles.

From downtown Houston to the Galleria is 6.22 miles.

Buckhead developed the same way most other busy neighborhoods do in modern cities -- around the intersection of two important roads. Developers build things in the places people want to go. Growth begets growth. I can't think of a single medium to large American city where this isn't the case.

In summary -- no, there's nothing special about Buckhead. It's nice. I spent a few days there one spring. But in terms of urban growth and development, it is far from unique.

Buckhead isn't really all that far from downtown Atlanta. From the center of one to the center of the other is 5.85 miles.

From downtown Houston to the Galleria is 6.22 miles.

Buckhead developed the same way most other busy neighborhoods do in modern cities -- around the intersection of two important roads. Developers build things in the places people want to go. Growth begets growth. I can't think of a single medium to large American city where this isn't the case.

In summary -- no, there's nothing special about Buckhead. It's nice. I spent a few days there one spring. But in terms of urban growth and development, it is far from unique.

I have to disagree. Buckhead is similar to our Uptown in the sense that it both are fairly close-in employment subcenters developed around high-end malls and positioned right near extremely expensive residential neighborhoods. I think that decent comparisons can be made.

The largest part of the explanation, though, is that more land is available in Houston's Uptown; it is just more spread out by nature of the geography of where roads and deed-restricted subdivisions were placed way back when, and I'm not sure that zoning would really have changed much of anything in our case. Buckhead occurs along a narrow corridor; Uptown is a massive blob. No city planner would've reasonably foreseen the growth of either.

I have to disagree. Buckhead is similar to our Uptown in the sense that it both are fairly close-in employment subcenters developed around high-end malls and positioned right near extremely expensive residential neighborhoods. I think that decent comparisons can be made.

The largest part of the explanation, though, is that more land is available in Houston's Uptown; it is just more spread out by nature of the geography of where roads and deed-restricted subdivisions were placed way back when, and I'm not sure that zoning would really have changed much of anything in our case. Buckhead occurs along a narrow corridor; Uptown is a massive blob. No city planner would've reasonably foreseen the growth of either.

I agree, they are still pretty similar, but I think Buckhead is changing and become more dense with shops outside of the two two high end malls in the area. When I was there about 3 years ago I noticed a lot of tourist attraction type destinations like ESPN Zone, Emeralds, and Puff Daddy's restaurant Justin's. I just hope that this recession stuff blows over for the Houston area soon and that the developments like BLVD place, River Oaks District and the others in the area happen and spur other developments.

HAIF Status Update:

Highway6 is...wondering if AAIF has to deal with Houston fanatics.

I'm not an Atlanta fanatic, Its just that its a city that has everything I wish Houston had. An entertainment industry, a TRUE transit system, and booming urban developments. It just seems like when its Houston's turn for these things, something is always there to stop them. You can't get a decent Transit system, as soon as the urban development starts to take off in the city, a recession comes.

other than strip clubs, what entertainment industry does Atlanta have?

Atlanta is a big time music hub. Many artist move to Atlanta for there careers including John Mayer, Kenny Rogers, Ne-Yo, Whitney Houston, T-Pain, among many more. Atlanta is also home to many music producers and record labels including Def Jam South and Bad Boy South. There are many tv networks based there also including all of the CNN channels, TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network, etc. Tyler Perry shoots all of his movies in the city and just recently opened up a television/movie studio where his movies are taped and currently 2 of his sitcoms for TBS are taped (House of Payne and Meet the Browns).

other than strip clubs, what entertainment industry does Atlanta have?

Don't confuse CNN with journalism; we all know that it is really entertainment. Pure and simple.

Atlanta is also home to some rappers. I think that may be what he's referring to. Wikipedia has this to say on the matter of an entertainment industry:

Atlanta's classical music scene includes the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, Atlanta Opera, Atlanta Ballet, New Trinity Baroque, the Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra,and the Atlanta Boy Choir. Classical musicians include renowned conductors such as the late Robert Shaw and the Atlanta Symphony's Robert Spano.

The city has a well-known and active live music scene. The Fox Theatre is a historical landmark and one of the highest grossing venues in the world. The city also has a large collection of highly successful music venues of various sizes that host top and emerging touring acts. Popular local venues include the Tabernacle, the Variety Playhouse, the Masquerade and the EARL.

The most famous galleries in the city include the renowned High Museum of Art, the Center for Puppetry Arts, the Atlanta Institute for the Arts, and the Georgia Museum of Contemporary Art.

In comparison, Houston's Wikipedia entry just sounds pathetic:

Houston has an active visual and performing arts scene. The Theater District is located downtown and is home to nine major performing arts organizations and six performance halls. It is the second-largest concentration of theater seats in a downtown area in the United States.[110][111][112] Houston is one of few United States cities with permanent, professional, resident companies in all major performing arts disciplines: opera (Houston Grand Opera), ballet (Houston Ballet), music (Houston Symphony Orchestra), and theater (The Alley Theatre).[8][113] Houston is also home to many local folk artists, art groups and various smaller progressive arts organizations.[114] Houston attracts many touring Broadway acts, concerts, shows, and exhibitions for a variety of interests.[115]

Houston holds the Bayou City Art Festival, which is considered to be one of the top five art festivals in the United States.[116][117]

The Museum District has many popular cultural institutions and exhibits, which attract more than 7 million visitors a year.[118][119] Notable facilities located in the district include The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston Museum of Natural Science, the Contemporary Arts Museum Houston, Holocaust Museum Houston, and the Houston Zoo.[120][121][122] Located in the nearby Montrose area are The Menil Collection and Rothko Chapel.

Bayou Bend, located in River Oaks, is a 14-acre (5.7 ha) facility of the Museum of Fine Arts that houses one of America's best collections of decorative art, paintings and furniture. Bayou Bend is the former home of Houston philanthropist Ima Hogg.[123]

Many venues scattered across Houston regularly host local and touring rock, blues, country, hip hop and Tejano musical acts. Unfortunately, there has never been a widely renowned music scene in Houston. Artists seem to relocate to other parts of the United States once attaining some level of success.[124] A notable exception to the rule is Houston hip-hop, which celebrates the unique southern flavor and attitude of its roots. This has given rise to a strong, independent hip-hop music scene, influencing and influenced by the larger Southern hip hop and gangsta rap communities.[125] Many Houstonian hip-hop artists have attained commercial success. Many non-hip hop artists that come from Houston include the hard Southern rock band ZZ Top, pop singer Hilary Duff, singer and actor Patrick Swayze, and indie-piano rock band Blue October.

...yeah, pathetic. :rolleyes: Wah! Why can't we be more like Atlanta? :lol:

EDIT: Oh, and did you notice that we have sourced facts and figures? We're such nerds. We suck.

I've heard it said a number of times that Houston's hip hop scene is considered far more influential than Atlanta's, but I admit to not knowing one way or the other.

but, I just can't let this one go w/o comment: we did NOT just cite Whitney Houston and Kenny Rogers as evidence of a booming 21st century entertainment industry. :lol: OMG, :P They haven't even been relevant enough for Mad TV sketches in years. The Real Skanky Housewives of Altanta have more goin on than Whitney and Kenny.

I've heard it said a number of times that Houston's hip hop scene is considered far more influential than Atlanta's, but I admit to not knowing one way or the other.

but, I just can't let this one go w/o comment: we did NOT just cite Whitney Houston and Kenny Rogers as evidence of a booming 21st century entertainment industry. :lol: OMG, :P They haven't even been relevant enough for Mad TV sketches in years. The Real Skanky Housewives of Altanta have more goin on than Whitney and Kenny.

The Houston rap scene can't get its act together like Atlanta's. Houston's rapper fight with each other and hardly ever "rep there city" the way Atlanta rappers do. Atlanta rappers mention the city of Atlanta in every other word in there songs. I know Whitney and Kenny were bad examples, but Kenny Rogers is a Houston Native. Believe me though, there are lots of shows taped in Atlanta. Hell Date Season 2. Recently College Hill: Atlanta, Keyshia Cole: The way it is.

When I was in Atlanta last summer, I was surprised how urban some neighborhoods (besides Buckhead) were compared to similar parts of Houston. Little Five Points is like Montrose (Westheimer and Dunlavy area) except there were way more people walking, nicer sidewalks, and no strip centers. Parts of the neighborhood actually felt more like Montreal than Montrose with the number of pedestrians. Inman park was a really cool hood too. I basically walked everywhere once I was in the Inman/Little 5 points area, and took the MARTA to visit my grandparents on the outskirts. I actually didn't spend much time in Buckhead but the modern architecture is really impressive.

Atlanta of course lacks the good museums, the mild winters, the amazing medical center, good Tex Mex food, cheap housing, the proximity to the ocean, and some of the Funkyness (art car parade, beer can house, random stuff like that) that Houston has.

img5662hp4.jpg

When I was in Atlanta last summer, I was surprised how urban some neighborhoods (besides Buckhead) were compared to similar parts of Houston. Little Five Points is like Montrose (Westheimer and Dunlavy area) except there were way more people walking, nicer sidewalks, and no strip centers. Parts of the neighborhood actually felt more like Montreal than Montrose with the number of pedestrians. Inman park was a really cool hood too. I basically walked everywhere once I was in the Inman/Little 5 points area, and took the MARTA to visit my grandparents on the outskirts. I actually didn't spend much time in Buckhead but the modern architecture is really impressive.

Atlanta of course lacks the good museums, the mild winters, the amazing medical center, good Tex Mex food, cheap housing, the proximity to the ocean, and some of the Funkyness (art car parade, beer can house, random stuff like that) that Houston has.

img5662hp4.jpg

Finally, someone agrees with me. I love Houston for all it has, but I wish that its urban areas were more lively. For example, In the Galleria Area, where the Container Store is on the corner of Westheimer and Post Oak. That center could have been brought to the street corner to give the area a more urban feel, and i think it would even encourage people to walk in these areas. And don't say people in Houston wont walk because its to hot, or Houston is a car city. Well the target market for the Galleria are should not be people unwilling to get out of there cars, they can do that in the suburbs. The Uptown area has to distinguish itself from the generic shopping areas of the suburbs or it will be no different.

Finally, someone agrees with me. I love Houston for all it has, but I wish that its urban areas were more lively. For example, In the Galleria Area, where the Container Store is on the corner of Westheimer and Post Oak. That center could have been brought to the street corner to give the area a more urban feel, and i think it would even encourage people to walk in these areas. And don't say people in Houston wont walk because its to hot, or Houston is a car city. Well the target market for the Galleria are should not be people unwilling to get out of there cars, they can do that in the suburbs. The Uptown area has to distinguish itself from the generic shopping areas of the suburbs or it will be no different.

:ph34r:

The Houston rap scene can't get its act together like Atlanta's. Houston's rapper fight with each other and hardly ever "rep there city" the way Atlanta rappers do. Atlanta rappers mention the city of Atlanta in every other word in there songs. I know Whitney and Kenny were bad examples, but Kenny Rogers is a Houston Native. Believe me though, there are lots of shows taped in Atlanta. Hell Date Season 2. Recently College Hill: Atlanta, Keyshia Cole: The way it is.

I'd rather not have Soulja Boy repping my city. Houston rap is doing just fine.

Archived