Ship Found On Galveston Bay Floor

Oops - sorry about the bum link...thanks for providing a new one!

I'm very curious to find out how old this ship is. According to the report, it is believed that Hurricane Ike stirred things up and helped to uncover it.

Does anyone know of any other discoveries similar to this in Galveston Bay? I've never heard of any.

I was watching the news this morning while eating my Frosted Flakes (yum!), and saw this story. A sonar crew found a sunken ship on the floor of Galveston Bay. Here is the link:

Ship

That link isn't working for me, but I found Channel 13's story.

Essentially: The Bay's being checked for storm debris, pending a cleanup. They think the ship may have been hidden by sand swept aside by Ike. The site is secret & nobody knows anything about the ship yet.

Stay tuned!

While searching for the story, I discovered that The Sea Aggies are not deserting Galveston. From 12/14/2008:

Texas A&M University at Galveston returned to the island for a ceremony honoring 106 graduates, the first official activity since students, faculty and staff left in advance of Hurricane Ike in September.

The school, a branch of Texas A&M University that focuses on marine and maritime disciplines, ultimately moved operations

There are two ship wrecks off shore of Bolivar in the Gulf of Mexico. One is about 3 miles from the ferry landing and about 1/4 mile off shore. This one is visible at normal tide and can be seen from Google Earth. The other is about 6 1/2 miles from the ferry landing and is just 100 yards or so off shore. This one is only visible at low tide now, and is not detectable from Google Earth.

Kylejack is right though, the bay is littered with these wrecks. Some may be recent, but salvage companies usually get what is valuable and leave the rest as litter.

• The title was changed to Ship Found On Galveston Bay Floor

Archived