Historic Houston Neighborhood Names

NenaE

Many times, when searching for information on an old house or business, it helps if you know the area or neighborhood name that the structure is located in. For example, on HAR there are many specific 'hood names. Where does that info. come from? Does anyone know? This is probably a realtor question.

• Like 1

HCAD has the subdivision name under the "legal description," though sometimes they are the survey/abstract names (SSBB, etc) or major location name (City Hall, etc).

Those legal description (subdivision/survey) names are the ones used for the Harris County Block books, though.

• Like 1

Many times, when searching for information on an old house or business, it helps if you know the area or neighborhood name that the structure is located in. For example, on HAR there are many specific 'hood names. Where does that info. come from? Does anyone know? This is probably a realtor question.

I'm not sure what it is that you're looking for, but try this site I found on HAR dot com.

http://www.har.com/neighborhoods/

• Like 1

I'm not sure what it is that you're looking for, but try this site I found on HAR dot com.

http://www.har.com/neighborhoods/

In HAR, Is there an actual reference book that realtors use to list those neighborhood names? they are often very specific...sevfiv may be right, they look like they come from legal documents. Maybe they are referenced by the realtors listing zip codes. I went on HAR today to look up neighborhoods by the Dowling Theater, since the old key map book didn't list any neighborhood names in that area on their map. A list would just be easier to use - imo. Often in the HCAD block books, if you have a neighborhood name, you can quickly access a neighborhood map, to learn about the whole area in question. Thnx for the tips.

• Like 1

Yeah, HCAD lists the Dowling theater area as "SSBB" but I haven't found a reference to what that stands for (block book maps and HAR don't spell it out either, but it's probably something obvious I am not thinking of).

edit - the above is my little tangential rant about not knowing what SSBB stands for :)

• Like 1

Yeah, HCAD lists the Dowling theater area as "SSBB" but I haven't found a reference to what that stands for (block book maps and HAR don't spell it out either, but it's probably something obvious I am not thinking of).

edit - the above is my little tangential rant about not knowing what SSBB stands for :)

:lol: ...I've been meaning to ask you that very question all day. All I found out on my search today is that Holman is associated with that area...Macgregor Holman, Orgen-Holman, Crow & Settegast Holman, Binz & Settegast Holman, Tuffly-Holman...Gees, who in the world is this guy? Engelke is another name...SSBB is eveywhere, as well. Noticed some of those SSBB numbered blocks are for sale on the HAR. Several old bldgs can be seen in the pics, one says soon to be lofts, think it was a Congress address.

I finally gave up, and moved on to something else. Interesting area, though.

Edited by NenaE
  • Like 1

SSBB = South Side Buffalo Bayou

there is also a NSBB and another one i cant remember right now like WSBB but i dont think that was it

Edited by gnu
  • Like 1

SSBB = South Side Buffalo Bayou

there is also a NSBB and another one i cant remember right now like WSBB but i dont think that was it

Thnx Gnu & Musicman, I checked out the HAR link to neighborhoods Filioscotia suggested, it does list quite a few...didn't know about that feature. Will definitely use it as a source of info. in the future.

Those abbreviations make sense, there is always a bayou in this city to reference from. :)

Edited by NenaE
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Historic Houston Neighborhood Names