Best street Food, Cheap eats in town?

Banh mi sandwiches from Thiem Hung, Hoang Son, and Cali Sandwich (all $2.50 - $3.00 per sandwich).

For taco trucks, read this excellent article by Robb Walsh about Houston's best taco trucks: http://www.houstonpress.com/2007-03-15/new...as-taco-trucks/

Skip to the end of page 3, and page 4 for the run-down. I went to Sabor Venezolano (Westheimer @ Fondren) when the article first came out and ordered the patacon. The guy spoke a moderate amount of English and was asking me why I stopped by. I showed him the article and his eyes lit up. He looked shocked and had no idea he had been reviewed. There was a picture of his truck in the article and he said, "That's my truck!" His eyes were shiny and he looked like he was about to cry from how happy he was.

Oh yeah, and the food was good btw.

Edited by kylejack

Two places on FM 1960:

Las Salcitas on FM 1960 (east of I45 but right before Treschwig (spelling?) next to Whataburger. Deliciously greasy and well seasoned 'Tex-Mex' (but I think the owner is Honduran or Salvadoran). Cheap. Good. Greasy.

Juanitas #3 in Beaver Creek Shopping Plaza (also on FM 1960 but West of I45). Excellent Mexican food.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
For those who know me, know Saint Danes is like my second home and for good reason - but their $1 tacos on Tuesdays is hands down the best "cheap food" you will find. Beef/Chicken/Shirmp/Fish (and the fish is top notch imo, my favorite of the four)

Also - and where I'll be tomorrow night, $10 Steaks on Mondays is another fav of mine on Mondays at Saint Danes.

Beyond that, the half price burgers on Wednesdays at Brian O'Neils are great...I find it good to take advantage of these bars with cheap food trying to get you to drink (just don't drink much to take advantage of it)

We tried to go to St Dane's one time, but the parking lot was full since 9 people were already there so we moved on.

• 2 weeks later...