Texas High School Basketball Team Beat Another Team 100-0

citykid09

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a teacher in a Christian school and a Christian myself, in the spirit of sportsmanship, if the coach kept his best players in during the entire game, then, yes, that is shameful. If his B or even C team was put in and they still stomped them 100-0, then i don't know what else could have been done short of stopping the game. The beginning of this topic suggests that perhaps the Christian way is not to win. i attribute this to perhaps, a poorly written article. i suppose the point being made is, if a team is clearly slaughtering another one, they have already proven their superior athleticism, so why add insult to injury. My school has run into that sort of thing a couple of times. Both times the opposing school was repremanded by the league leaders- they were cited for unsportsman-like conduct.

m. B)

As a teacher in a Christian school and a Christian myself, in the spirit of sportsmanship, if the coach kept his best players in during the entire game, then, yes, that is shameful. If his B or even C team was put in and they still stomped them 100-0, then i don't know what else could have been done short of stopping the game. The beginning of this topic suggests that perhaps the Christian way is not to win. i attribute this to perhaps, a poorly written article. i suppose the point being made is, if a team is clearly slaughtering another one, they have already proven their superior athleticism, so why add insult to injury. My school has run into that sort of thing a couple of times. Both times the opposing school was repremanded by the league leaders- they were cited for unsportsman-like conduct.

m. B)

I don't know what the deal is with private schools then: "win... but not by too much, or else we'll get punished."

I went to public school. Never in the history of the school I attended has any coach advocated that kind of "win, but not by too much" philosphy/constraint. More of a play hard and win cleanly attitude. So if you win by 7 or 70 or get beat by that margin - that's life.

Thought I'd post this story for comparison purposes.

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=914609

DeKalb should have put it on Madison. What a bunch of losers*.

*Literally - they lost the game 62-47..

EDIT: Just so everyone knows, I'm being terribly facetious, and am actually very impressed by DeKalb's unified effort to show good sportsmanship. That Dallas team could take some notes.

I don't know what the deal is with private schools then: "win... but not by too much, or else we'll get punished."

I went to public school. Never in the history of the school I attended has any coach advocated that kind of "win, but not by too much" philosphy/constraint. More of a play hard and win cleanly attitude. So if you win by 7 or 70 or get beat by that margin - that's life.

Oh come on! You know exactly what the point is. This isn't the NBA or any other professional team.

What is the point to completely obliterate a team that is clearly inferior? What does that show? Let's even leave Christianity out of it, because that may be a sore spot for some of you..........it is called ethical humanitarian behavior. Plain and simple. It is in poor taste and should be repremanded. As an educator, we have responsibilities in addition to filling a child's mind with knowledge. As a Christian educator, we have a responsibility to shape citizens that quite frankly are going to be running our country when you and i are rocking in rocking chairs at some elderly assisted establishment. i would like to think that the next generation will learn not only how NOT to be sore losers........but to also understand gracious winning. i know you get my point.

m. B)

Oh come on! You know exactly what the point is. This isn't the NBA or any other professional team.

What is the point to completely obliterate a team that is clearly inferior? What does that show? Let's even leave Christianity out of it, because that may be a sore spot for some of you..........it is called ethical humanitarian behavior. Plain and simple. It is in poor taste and should be repremanded. As an educator, we have responsibilities in addition to filling a child's mind with knowledge. As a Christian educator, we have a responsibility to shape citizens that quite frankly are going to be running our country when you and i are rocking in rocking chairs at some elderly assisted establishment. i would like to think that the next generation will learn not only how NOT to be sore losers........but to also understand gracious winning. i know you get my point.

m. B)

As if our leaders must be educated by way of Christian educators?

My football coach, never said, not even once: "...let's win graciously..." or any other nancy-boy talk.

No. It was: "Play hard, men!" ... and the occasional "Get your head out of your a _ _!" and "Stop kissing'em! HIT! HIT!" and then he would put in the B-string, C-string, the D-string, if the ball game got out of control.

But when you put in the last of your worst players... and you still whip the other team, badly... you really can't do anything (as was the case here). Unless you instruct your team to make points for the other team, to try to even out the score. That's real intuitive for your players to understand: score for the other team. What?!

I went to public High School. We also had a private, Catholic school. They sucked. Maybe because of their "Christian" coaches.

As if our leaders must be educated by way of Christian educators?

My football coach, never said, not even once: "...let's win graciously..." or any other nancy-boy talk.

No. It was: "Play hard, men!" ... and the occasional "Get your head out of your a _ _!" and "Stop kissing'em! HIT! HIT!" and then he would put in the B-string, C-string, the D-string, if the ball game got out of control.

But when you put in the last of your worst players... and you still whip the other team, badly... you really can't do anything (as was the case here). Unless you instruct your team to make points for the other team, to try to even out the score. That's real intuitive for your players to understand: score for the other team. What?!

I went to public High School. We also had a private, Catholic school. They sucked. Maybe because of their "Christian" coaches.

Well, now you are just being ridiculous. i am done. i thought this was going to prompt an intelligent conversation. Clearly, your "hit, hit, hitting" in HS has caused you to confuse the issues. That's OK. As a Christian.......i forgive your ignorance.

:lol:;)

m. B)

• The title was changed to Texas High School Basketball Team Beat Another Team 100-0

Archived