Baldwin Square Area

gazhomme

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I called up HCAD and talked to an appraiser. The first person I talked to told me"2910 Crawford is in a different neighborhood than the other properties you mentioned (the townhoses next door)" I was flabbergasted. Different neighborhood? They are all on the same d**n city block. If the dirt under the townhomes is worth $20 per sqft, then the dirt under the flophouse is worth that too. I finally talked to a real appraiser, discovered you can't protest your neighbor's value, and had a good conversation about the commercial properties in the area. The next year, the land value for 2910 went up from $8 or so (this was in 1999 or 2000) to over $20. The then owner protested, and lost. The appraisers seem reasonable when you talk to them off the record.

The original section of Baldwin Square, the block bounded by Tuam, LaBranch, Austin, and Anita. That section has a separate meter for each house, and each owner is responsible for maintaining the exterior of the house. The HOA covers maintaining the fence, the sprinklers, and cutting the grass, plus what little common area exists, over by the mailboxes. I took a quick look, and I only see 4 or 5 original owners I recognize, but many of the names are the second owners, so it's relatively stable.

I called up HCAD and talked to an appraiser. The first person I talked to told me"2910 Crawford is in a different neighborhood than the other properties you mentioned (the townhoses next door)" I was flabbergasted. Different neighborhood? They are all on the same d**n city block. If the dirt under the townhomes is worth $20 per sqft, then the dirt under the flophouse is worth that too. I finally talked to a real appraiser, discovered you can't protest your neighbor's value, and had a good conversation about the commercial properties in the area. The next year, the land value for 2910 went up from $8 or so (this was in 1999 or 2000) to over $20. The then owner protested, and lost. The appraisers seem reasonable when you talk to them off the record.

His sqft cost is $3 less than mine... so I understand that. However, why is it that his building is appraised at almost nothing, as if he just has a wood shed or something? The building is still crap... but I know it's worth more than just the land value.

The original section of Baldwin Square, the block bounded by Tuam, LaBranch, Austin, and Anita. That section has a separate meter for each house, and each owner is responsible for maintaining the exterior of the house. The HOA covers maintaining the fence, the sprinklers, and cutting the grass, plus what little common area exists, over by the mailboxes. I took a quick look, and I only see 4 or 5 original owners I recognize, but many of the names are the second owners, so it's relatively stable.

This is the block I'm in and love it. I'm a third owner, but have done more work on my home (and put more into it) than the prior owners. It's interesting hearing stories from the original owners on the block about what Baldwin Square was like ten years ago. Let's just say we've come a long way.

That vacant lot on Caroline between Tuam and Dennis now has a large dumpster on it. It is one of those construction dumpsters that is used when a building is demoed. The problem is, there are no buildings on that lot. Very interesting!

Well, I know there is a dumpster on the empty lot at Tuam and Fannin because they are redoing this building. The lot you describe might be for the new dance studio that is going to go in at this building right next to the empty lot. In fact, I just talked to the studio on the phone, and the lady told me that they might even have a cafe on one corner!

The lot you describe might be for the new dance studio that is going to go in at this building right next to the empty lot. In fact, I just talked to the studio on the phone, and the lady told me that they might even have a cafe on one corner!

Hmm, hopefully its a "Mikhail Baryshnikov" dance studio versus an "Anna Nicole-Smith" dance studio! :D

The cafe on the corner sounds like a good idea.

This might be a first for Midtown in that for the first time the guy standing on a corner with a white towel will be a waiter.

Hmm, hopefully its a "Mikhail Baryshnikov" dance studio versus an "Anna Nicole-Smith" dance studio! :D

The cafe on the corner sounds like a good idea.

This might be a first for Midtown in that for the first time the guy standing on a corner with a white towel will be a waiter.

Ha ha, I know. The studio is The Houston Metropolitan Dance Company. Supposedly it's one of the best the city has. My wife attends classes there every now and then, so that's how I found out about it. They used to have info on their site about it, but it has been pulled. I called them this morning and the lady said they pulled it awhile back because they weren't sure if it would go through... but tonight their board is meeting and they will now approve it. She told me that the building is empty inside, and that within a couple of months we should start seeing demo on the inside (with a target move in for Jan 2009). They are going to poke holes in the concrete walls and insert windows. From what I saw of earlier renderings, it looked really cool.

The first floor will be the studio, and on the second floor there will be offices/art studios/etc. She said they are talking with various artists/galleries and the goal is to make the place like a hub for artistic people. They will have a 30 year lease on the place, and the lady said they are very excited about the new location and are working with the MMD on ways to improve the area (hence, the cafe).

They are going to poke holes in the concrete walls and insert windows. From what I saw of earlier renderings, it looked really cool.

The first floor will be the studio, and on the second floor there will be offices/art studios/etc. She said they are talking with various artists/galleries and the goal is to make the place like a hub for artistic people. They will have a 30 year lease on the place, and the lady said they are very excited about the new location and are working with the MMD on ways to improve the area (hence, the cafe).

Sounds fantastic. This sounds like the very catalyst that is needed at that intersection.

Hopefully the MMD is reading this forum and will install additional street lights along Tuam between Caroline and San Jacinto as this corridor is unlit at night. (I assume that patrons of the studio will be parking along Tuam at night)

Ha ha, I know. The studio is The Houston Metropolitan Dance Company. Supposedly it's one of the best the city has. My wife attends classes there every now and then, so that's how I found out about it. They used to have info on their site about it, but it has been pulled. I called them this morning and the lady said they pulled it awhile back because they weren't sure if it would go through... but tonight their board is meeting and they will now approve it. She told me that the building is empty inside, and that within a couple of months we should start seeing demo on the inside (with a target move in for Jan 2009). They are going to poke holes in the concrete walls and insert windows. From what I saw of earlier renderings, it looked really cool.

I dance there and it is a wonderful studio. They are currently located off Calumet in the Museum District...had no idea they were moving! I will miss the current location, but they do need a larger space.

As you said, its a lack of zoning laws. If an artist wants to convert a warehouse into a studio and live in it as well, he is allowed to do so in Houston. Go on the annual Art Crawl and you'll see what I mean, warehouses all over downtown and the East End that have been converted into studios where people live.

I am very aware of what loft living is all about. What is going on at the flophouse on Crawford is not a warehouse that has been converted into a trendy open space for single family living. This is a place where people can pay $7 for a cot. There is nothing residential about this property. As shown in the posted picture it has a big hole in the side that is covered with plastic. So my question is: How are codes not being violated?

Just a huntch, but I'd also bet that the cash money that is being collected for these people to stay is not being reported as income for tax purposes.

This is a place where people can pay $7 for a cot. There is nothing residential about this property. As shown in the posted picture it has a big hole in the side that is covered with plastic. So my question is: How are codes not being violated?

Just a huntch, but I'd also bet that the cash money that is being collected for these people to stay is not being reported as income for tax purposes.

I like your line of thinking, neighbor!

The link below is to an IRS webpage on reporting suspected businesses.

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=122541,00.html

The tip line phone number is: 1-800-829-0433.

You can make an anonymous tip.

I'm thinking the term "cash based business" will get the investigation wheels rolling!

You can also look up so called non-profits tax filings at www.guidestar.org

I have found some pretty amazing things at that site when it comes to the salary's of people running these operations.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little late as always. I think the proportion of renters vs. owners has increased recently (two houses on my block that were owner-occupied are now leased out.) But it's still the typical midtown mix of young professionals.

My wife and I have lived in the Baldwin Park area for about a year now. Actually, this is the quietest, nicest area of Houston I've lived in so far, in 7 years inside the loop. The homeless are of course irritating, but that's life in the city. Actually I find the homeless/panhandlers in the Montrose area *much* more aggressive, particularly at Kroger's. The flop houses and homeless services will probably relocate in the long term anyway due to cost increases.

• The title was changed to Baldwin Square Area

Archived