Movers - need estimated cost and a referral

cottonmather0

Although I would rather sit on the real estate we already have and stay here, my wife has been working in Sugar Land for the past three months and has decided we need to move. I run my business from home these days, so I can't really argue with her and I would like to have a bigger house and a better home office. I just need to get my lingering hurricane damage repaired before we can sell this place.

So.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimate for how much it would cost to hire movers. I've always just moved myself from apartment to house to house, but now that I am married with a kid (and another on the way) I think it makes more sense to hire someone and save myself the work and maintain sanity in the household.

Our house right now is a typically furnished 3/2 one story (~ 2000 sqft) roughly located at 18th and TC Jester. We will likely be moving sometime later this spring to the Sugar Creek/First Colony area, or maybe even Telfair.

Any help for how much this might cost to hire someone? Any recommendations or referrals for that matter?

Thanks.

I was about to ask the same question. I'm moving from our house in Sugar Land to another smaller house just a couple of miles away. (Our kids are now out so we are scaling down). Need recommendations on a local mover.

ps: cottonmather0. We will have a place for sale come February if your interested.

I've moved about 17 times. I did it myself when I was a kid, but now I'm too old for that. So whenever I move I now get estimates from Allied, United, and Mayflower. Usually Allied wins.

If you call them, they'll come to your home and give you a written estimate. Some also contract with third companies to crate up anything you have that's large and glass. A carpenter shows up at your house and builds a crate around your (example) dining room table top right before your eyes.

If you don't feel like packing anything, that service can also be had for a price. I did this once and it was worth the money. They even packed up my trash can with the trash still inside it so I'd have a nice full trash can when I arrived at my new home.

Moving my stuff from Cincinnati to Houston via Alied cost around $1,300.

Moving mine and my wife's stuff and one car on a trailer from Houston to Chicago was $2,800.

When I moved within Chicago recently I went with a local company (bad experience) and it cost $600.

I bet you could do your local move for under a thousand. Maybe even $500.

A couple of things to note:

• Try to go with the national company if you can. Some local companies will advertise that they take credit cards, but when the driver shows up he may demand cash knowing that you have to fork out or your life gets thrown into chaos. This won't happen as often with a national company because it's used to dealing with credit cards, purchase orders, and other non-cash payment methods.
  • The driver of the truck is the one who will be in charge when the truck pulls up at your house. Keep an eye on him to make sure he's keeping everyone moving.
  • A Mayflower driver that showed up to move me out of Dakota Lofts took his sweet old time having his crew load the truck. We kept telling him we needed to be in New Orleans that night, but he didn't care, then said that if I gave him some cash things might go faster. When I told him I'd relay his offer to Mayflower's corporate number since my company was paying for the move, suddenly things went faster. He paid a couple of homeless guys wandering around $20 each to help with the move. This was bad and unprofessional. I won't go Mayflower again. Not even for a local move.

i always used "cantu movers" for friends, relatives, clients, and myself.

they' always been reliable and the emplyees are treated well.

a move i did involved a 1200sq. ft apt to a home from galleria to jersey villahe and at the time it was about 600, but that was 9 years ago. My suburb hell era.

these are reliable guys.

Additionally, if you want to save a few bucks, move the boxes and smaller items yourself in your car/truck and let them move the bigger stuff.

A1 Allstate Movers is highly rated by customers on citysearch.com. I plan to move on Saturday, but need to measure my new place before I know what I'll be taking. I've not made an appointment with them yet.

Will update progress.

I think this has been asked on HAIF before, and my answer is always the same: The original 3-Men Movers is great. I have used them for multiple moves, and they do a great job each time. I wouldn't use anyone else. I think they charge per hour with an xx hour minimum. We helped by boxing everything up and having it ready to go.

Word to the wise: be the first on their day's schedule, so that the crew is fresh and not tired from previous moves. And give them soda/water, there is nothing worse than seeing these guys lift all that heavy furniture without some sort of refreshment.

I'll second the 3 Men movers recommendation. We've used them 5 or 6 times, always with great results. They work hard and show up on time. Prices are reasonable. We usually provide drinks and a good tip at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Acme Movers the past 3 times. They charge by the hour and that hourly rate is set by the number of movers you request for your move. The last time we moved I think we only used to guys and I believe it was $75 per hour with a 2 or 3 hour min. We also had them do the packing and they worked quickly because they had another job that afternoon so it did work out good having the first appointment. Total charge for a move from League City to Pearland was about $600- 700 including what I tipped them.

Archived