Trailer Park On Scott St.

JLWM8609

My dad told me about it years ago. I just found a photo of it on historicaerials.com. Holman Street Baptist Church owns the land now and uses it to hold picnics sometimes. I don't know, but it just seems kind of odd that a trailer park would be situated in this part of town back, especially surrounded by the houses that are out here. Unless it wasn't the stereotypical trailer park of today, maybe the 50s trailer park was different. Who remembers it?

My dad told me about it years ago. I just found a photo of it on historicaerials.com. Holman Street Baptist Church owns the land now and uses it to hold picnics sometimes. I don't know, but it just seems kind of odd that a trailer park would be situated in this part of town back, especially surrounded by the houses that are out here. Unless it wasn't the stereotypical trailer park of today, maybe the 50s trailer park was different. Who remembers it?

I don't remember this particular trailer park, but I can tell you that trailer parks of the 50s didn't have the negative reputation they seem to have today. A lot of very nice and fine people lived in mobile home parks. And the same is true today. I hate it when I hear people described as "trailer trash".

Trailers were an inexpensive place to live for people who couldn't afford to buy a house, and for people who moved around a lot. When I was growing up in the 50s I knew a lot of people in the military and people in construction work who lived in trailer parks.

Also back then, mobile homes were a lot smaller than they make them today. That was before the era of the massive 14 by 75 foot house with expandable side rooms. You could unplug the utilities, hitch it to the family pickup truck and move on short notice. These days you have to call in professionals to move a mobile home.

It also helps to remember that Houston has never had zoning. People could open any kind of business they wanted just about anywhere they wanted. That's still true.

Edited by FilioScotia

I don't remember this particular trailer park, but I can tell you that trailer parks of the 50s didn't have the negative reputation they seem to have today. A lot of very nice and fine people lived in mobile home parks. And the same is true today. I hate it when I hear people described as "trailer trash".

Trailers were an inexpensive place to live for people who couldn't afford to buy a house, and for people who moved around a lot. When I was growing up in the 50s I knew a lot of people in the military and people in construction work who lived in trailer parks.

Also back then, mobile homes were a lot smaller than they make them today. That was before the era of the massive 14 by 75 foot house with expandable side rooms. You could unplug the utilities, hitch it to the family pickup truck and move on short notice. These days you have to call in professionals to move a mobile home.

It also helps to remember that Houston has never had zoning. People could open any kind of business they wanted just about anywhere they wanted. That's still true.

FilioScotia,

Well said...I went to 4th grade in the MacGregor Park area in 1957 and I had a good friend who lived in a trailor park, possibly the one mentioned. I loved his "house".....I thought it was so neat, like living in boat. In those days the trailers were long and narrow, more like a very long motor home.

I just found a photo of it on historicaerials.com.

i guess u just didnt

Since we're going back and quoting one another, let me try something for a second.

guess your camera batteries are dead. you never seeem to post a photo.

Yes, I found a photo of it on historicaerials.com. But why in heaven would camera batteries be needed for a photo found online? Unless... you wanted me to take a photo of it with a camera, like this?

1215082332.jpg

The musicman special everyone! j/k ;)

Here's a nice screenshot of the complex dating from 1957. That's Scott St. running just to the right of the complex.

scotttrailerpark.jpg

Yes, I found a photo of it on historicaerials.com.

That site is awesome! Another place to "waste" hours upon hours on...that two year comparison tool is something else. Maybe we need a new thread/area for interesting sites? I'd been relying on terraserver for older aerials, but this blows it away

• The title was changed to Trailer Park On Scott St.