• 4 weeks later...
Anyone ever been to Longhorn Cafe? They used to have 7 locations, now I think they're down to two. It was once owned by another Fertitta, Julian Fertitta.

Are they still shrinking? They just opened another one on Westheimer. I've never been, though.

Wow, I didn't know they were expanding! I went to their website and found out that it has again changed hands. Julian (maybe a distant cousin to Tilman, but not a close one) Fertitta was the original owner. Then, probably 10-15 years ago sold it to Gulum Babawayala (sorry for butchering the name there!), the at-the-time owner of Marco's Restaurants. Gulum was a big success story in the restaurant world at one time and an inspiration to immigrants everywhere, but Marco's couldn't seem to keep one step ahead of the Health Dept. and he started trying to expand too fast with other concepts (like seafood). I'm not sure what he owns now, but apparently he sold out Longhorn Cafe to Santiago Trujillo (and his silent partner Ricardo Rodriguez), who has now opened a Longhorn in the Westchase area on April 2nd. Amazing! Just for old times sake, I think I'll have to make a little roadtrip to the original one downtown!

• 3 months later...
Cool.

I saw a sign with plans to remodel 2 Houston Center and the Shops.

"A truly tasteful restoration" or something like that.

The renovation of the Houston Center Shops has already started. I am glad to see the owners making a change. That place is pretty outdated (and very tough to lease)