70s And 80s Custom Home Neighborhoods In The Woodlands

jgs1419

Once a year it seems, my wife and I discuss moving from our inner loop home to The Woodlands. We aren't dieing to leave the loop, we've been here a long time. With family, proximity to work (The Woodlands is actually closer to my work!), etc., it is time we make a careful evaluation of the pros and cons (I guess I've hit middle age)

I'm not enthralled with anything I see on the new home market. We went and looked at homes a year or two ago and the realtor that showed us around drove us through some custom home neighborhoods from the 80s. They were brick exterior, good size lots, obviously custom homes from back in the day. We saw several that needed updating/remodeling - that's fine with me. I would prefer to put my touch on things, get the a/c, electrical, plumbing upgrades as possible, etc.

I can't remember where the neighborhoods were or their names. I know there are many on these boards that can give me a couple of places to start. har.com isn't yielding fruit because I probably have constrained the search too much. For clarity, we are probably willing to spend $400-$500k.

I saw a 1976 custom home in the paper that was pretty cool. It looks like it is in Grogan's Mill. It needed lots of work but was emblamatic of what I am looking for. 70s Woodlands Custom Home

hey i live at just about 10 or so houses around the circle on south log run !!! maybe less than 10 houses to the right of that one around the corner when it becomes south log run. im 2815! :D come on in to the neighborhood! that's a nice house as well. i THINK that roof is almost new i remember them doing a little work to that house not long ago. you will enjoy this neighborhood its very close to Randalls and Heb in the market square area and alllllllllllllllll the fancy shops restaurants and mall are about 6 or 7 minutes away. great location, lived in this house since 1992 and we have never had a break in or robbery and i think in all that time ive heard of it happening maybe once. its been very low crime and its generally an older crowd on my side of the circle, im not totally sure about that side of the circle but i drive by that house at least once a week because i go out the other side of the circle to northmillbend. country club is of course like a 10 min walk, lots of wooded trails here in this area of the woodlands, and more natural feel than the very back of the newer woodlands. trees are more mature here.

Do you think there is a tradeoff looking at the older neighborhoods (e.g. Grogan's Mill). Things that come to mind would be number of kids on the block or schools. We have four young kids, oldest in 2nd grade.

Thanks to all for the advice and help.

The schools in this area are really good. i was in all of them from 1992-2004. Plenty of churches and nice parks around this area. Here on this exact logrun circle though, i dont think there are to many children. BUT like i said im on the south log run that house you looked at is north logrun. But anyways, still a safe area and not much traffic so they can play in the streets without any worries id say. i used to ride my bike all around the streets with my friends and never had problems.

Do you think there is a tradeoff looking at the older neighborhoods (e.g. Grogan's Mill). Things that come to mind would be number of kids on the block or schools. We have four young kids, oldest in 2nd grade.

I think the schools are fine, but if you're looking for a neighborhood full of young kids, imo, you'd have much better luck in Alden Bridge or Sterling Ridge.

• 2 months later...

I love '70s-'80s custom homes. Just about everything built after the mid-'90s looks and feels like it was made out of sawdust and glue, and I can't stand the schizophrenic "Tuscan villa-slash-French chateau-slash-English manor" look that new homes seem to have nowadays; five different rooflines and three different types of brick and stone on the exterior is not architecture.

Wilding Estates, Doe Run, Fern Lake and Autumnwood are a few of the earlier high-end neighborhoods in VOGM that come to mind. Grogan's Point was built around that time but I'm not a fan of most of the houses there (they have a very McMansion-y feel to them, like they were designed to look as oversized as possible).

• The title was changed to 70s And 80s Custom Home Neighborhoods In The Woodlands

Archived