Opinions Needed Accurate Restoration

Ok well folks after exhausting my efforts to find an original set of floor plans showing the original front view picture or even a house around here with the same type of design and the screens still intact I have decided to put it in your hands... Soooo, I would like to tap into the 2 things that seem to be in abundance here, accurate restoration info and opinions. Hopefully, the picture loaded correctly. So, on to what I need. Correct window screens, or window screen design for my home. As you all can see the attic window has 4 panes, where my front door is an eight-paned bungalow type door. I would rather the "decorative" screens tie into the 4 paned window in the attic than the door so I guess this is where you all come in... I've looked at buying used screens at the place on Clay St. but none of them "match," and have decided that I am going to make my own based on what should be historically correct and off of an example or a sturdy base template. So here's your chance, let me know what you think!

D

post-3985-1226865936_thumb.jpg

times change so do houses....I am not saying turn the place into a box (if someone wants a box they should buy one), but it is now YOUR home that should meet the taste and requirements of you and your family....if that means exactly historically correct then I will be the first to admire your attention to detail and respect for the past, but if that means different doors or windows ect. that work best for you....it is your house

again people that buy a home like this and turn it into just another ugly box probably have a ton of issues, but people that judge someone because they put in more modern and or efficient windows ect. probably have issues of their own...you bought it and paid for it you should do what works best and makes you the happiest....besides you live in Houston now people should be glad a D6 did not show up to remodel it

PS nice house looks great and in great shape hope you love it what ever decision you make

Edited by TexasVines

Ok well folks after exhausting my efforts to find an original set of floor plans showing the original front view picture or even a house around here with the same type of design and the screens still intact I have decided to put it in your hands... Soooo, I would like to tap into the 2 things that seem to be in abundance here, accurate restoration info and opinions. Hopefully, the picture loaded correctly. So, on to what I need. Correct window screens, or window screen design for my home. As you all can see the attic window has 4 panes, where my front door is an eight-paned bungalow type door. I would rather the "decorative" screens tie into the 4 paned window in the attic than the door so I guess this is where you all come in... I've looked at buying used screens at the place on Clay St. but none of them "match," and have decided that I am going to make my own based on what should be historically correct and off of an example or a sturdy base template. So here's your chance, let me know what you think!

D

post-3985-1226865936_thumb.jpg

maybe this question would be better asked of the people at the following places (both of which have forums)....those people love to give opinions on this type of thing:

www.thisoldhouse.com

www.americanbungalow.com

good luck!

maybe this question would be better asked of the people at the following places (both of which have forums)....those people love to give opinions on this type of thing:

www.thisoldhouse.com

www.americanbungalow.com

good luck!

this old house (while I love the show) would be the one to ask on if you want your project to spriral WAY over budget :lol::DB)

From the one picture you've posted, it would seem that the home was/is rather modest with only a little bit of embellishment. More than likely it had modest, plain screens maybe with a little bit of embellishment. I would think a plain undivided screen, or possibly something with a single divider across the middle would be appropriate.

Edited by jm1fd

There are a few bungalows in the 900-1000 blocks of Highland and Omar that have screens. None of them "match" the window panes exactly. The frames are usually painted in a darker contrasting color than the window framing (similar to that deep red on your house), and they often have diagonal bracing pieces in the corners. I'm not describing that too well, I realize, but you might want to do a drive by that area of Woodland Heights and take a look-see.

I don't have screens, and boy did I wish for them in the aftermath of Ike. It was cool enough to sleep with the windows open, but the mosquitos were a nightmare!

And even if the power is on, it can be nice to air out the place, and keep the bugs out at the same time. Those of us who grew up without central air sometimes do crazy stuff like that ;)

When I bought my house, it had screens (aluminum, not original), but virtually all of the windows had been screwed shut to keep the drafts out. I took the screens off and stored them in the garage. I only pull them out during the spring and fall, and during hurricane aftermaths. Otherwise, they stay in the garage, as the view through a screen is not pretty. When the weather is going to be nice for awhile, I simply put them in the windows I wish to open.

I tried to find a picture of a wooden window screen ornament, but of course, now I cannot find it. Next time I see one in the hood, I'll take a pic for you.

Double-hung Craftsman bungalow windows are typically divided with multiple lights over a single light. Most low-end Houston bungalows used a 1 over 1 configuration with a decorative insect screen. It was cheaper to build a decorative screen than buy a decorative window sash, and people usually left their screens up year-round anyway, so it was pointless to buy an expensive divided light window then leave it covered with a screen. Unfortunately, the wood screens deteriorated pretty quickly, so many people tossed them and bought aluminum screens. The advent of central air-conditioning caused window screens to become obsolete, furthering their demise.

Anyway, the most common designs are 3 over 1, 6 over 1, or 9 over 1, since they are the easiest to build. Some designs were quite elaborate, though these were typically used on the more expensive brick bungalows. For your house, I think a 6 over 1 configuration would be most appropriate:

6lite.jpg

I would recommend using treated lumber. Remember, the screens will be outside, and the thin pieces of wood tend to rot quickly if not maintained. Also, remember that each window will be a slightly different size. These old houses move a lot, and nothing is square.

In the end, I commend you for making the effort to re-create your screens. They will definitely change the appearance of your house (in a good way), and you will be surprised how great the air-circulation can be in a bungalow with all the windows open.

So, on to what I need. Correct window screens, or window screen design for my home. As you all can see the attic window has 4 panes, where my front door is an eight-paned bungalow type door. I would rather the "decorative" screens tie into the 4 paned window in the attic than the door so I guess this is where you all come in...

you can't see the front door anyway, not sure i'd be worried about that. just mimic the window frames that are currently there. putting the cross straps would make for a stronger frame but not sure i'd like looking at that from the inside.. i think adding corner brackets could be a nice, decorative touch and provide additional stability.

I have almost all of the original screens for my 1910 bungalow. I have "one over one" windows, and the screens match the window frames exactly. There are two "hooks" at the top of each window (now encrusted with 10 layers of paint), and the screens have metal pieces with slots on top that slide over the hooks. I have two sizes of windows on my house, and there are two sizes of screens, but both sizes match up exactly to the window frames. The screen frames appear to be made of cypress. They are assembled with tongue-and-groove construction but also have 1/2" wide 90 deg brass brackets (painted over) on the corners. I'll try to post some pictures this week.

Regarding your bungalow, looks great, but if you want to be authentic, you should rework the porch railing. The original railing would have been ~2 ft high (level with the bottom of the window sills) and had wide (1 x 3 or 1 x 4) slats. The skinny 1 x 1 bannisters are just what you can get at Home Depot now, and on remodels you have raise the railings to 30" (I think) to meet code. Change 'em back!

Edited by cwrm4

I have almost all of the original screens for my 1910 bungalow. I have "one over one" windows, and the screens match the window frames exactly. There are two "hooks" at the top of each window (now encrusted with 10 layers of paint), and the screens have metal pieces with slots on top that slide over the hooks. I have two sizes of windows on my house, and there are two sizes of screens, but both sizes match up exactly to the window frames. The screen frames appear to be made of cypress. They are assembled with tongue-and-groove construction but also have 1/2" wide 90 deg brass brackets (painted over) on the corners. I'll try to post some pictures this week.

Regarding your bungalow, looks great, but if you want to be authentic, you should rework the porch railing. The original railing would have been ~2 ft high (level with the bottom of the window sills) and had wide (1 x 3 or 1 x 4) slats. The skinny 1 x 1 bannisters are just what you can get at Home Depot now, and on remodels you have raise the railings to 30" (I think) to meet code. Change 'em back!

The house looks very similar to John Palmer's Studio on Heights blvd. before renovation. He attached what looks like a barn to it. I am surprised I do not hear hoot owls at night.

• The title was changed to Opinions Needed Accurate Restoration