Is it possible to find Vacant Land at a good price?

student4life

Hello I was wondering if the community had any thoughts on whether or not it is possible to find a vacant lot in Houston between 0.25 acres and 1.0 acres which is 20 to 25min from downtown, with a price point of around $25k? Looking to build a small house with a garden in the backyard

Hello I was wondering if the community had any thoughts on whether or not it is possible to find a vacant lot in Houston between 0.25 acres and 1.0 acres which is 20 to 25min from downtown, with a price point of around $25k? Looking to build a small house with a garden in the backyard

• 5 weeks later...

Keep this in mind when buying land or any type of land speculation. Land values do not go down once a threash hold has been met in the market. The only reasonable way to get a "good deal" on land is through the afore mentioned tax repos. Most land/lot speculation that has occured the past few years have been through savy investors/speculators that have somewhat deep enough pockets to understand market dynamics. That same tract of land that traded at $20/SF one year ago is still going to be marketed at that level or above. there is a return.

Yea Tax repos appear to be a good way to get a "good deal" but from speaking with various people Tax repos require:

1) A lot of up front research in order to make sure there are no leans on the property that you will be responsible for...

2) Must have ALL the money in hand after the auction concludes

One thing I am thinking about doing is requesting a data export of delinquent property taxes from the tax office. I did it several years back for a database project and I think they charged about $25 for the ASCII file export that fits on a CD... It will has the location of the property as well as the owner information and how much is owed... The trick back then was extracting the address information and then mapping it into some sort of GIS software package. It should be easier now with mapping products like Microsoft's MapPoint or Google maps....

Once that information is mapped it should be easier to see graphically where potential properties are located and maybe approach the owner to see if he/she is willing to sell since their property taxes are delinquent...

• 2 weeks later...

After talking with various realtors and searching HAR for days, I have updated my requirements for a lot (see below).

If someone knows of a property that may fit the below criteria please feel free to send me a PM...

Thanks!

Purpose for lot: Planning to build a modest house that will be around 1500 sq ft (not including the garage) with a nice size yard in order to insure there is "elbow" room between the neighbors and myself as well room for a very small vegetable garden.

Summary of lot Requirements:

1) Lot size MINIMUMS:

a.
Within the 610 Loop:
0.25 acres
(10,890 sq ft) (if it has a view of the city skyline or in a very nice old neighborhood, I
may
consider a slightly smaller lot)

b.
Outside the 610 loop BUT within the beltway:
0.5 acres
(21,780 sq ft)

c.
Outside the beltway:
1.0 acres
(43,560 sq ft )

2) Lot location:

a.
NOT
near an airport

b.
NOT
near a large canal

c.
NOT
near large electrical power transmission line towers
d.
NOT
next to a railroad track

e.
Location should be within a
30 minute
drive time of downtown Houston, TX

3) Miscellaneous:

a.
Would prefer (but not required) an area with little or
no
home association fees

b.
Relatively low crime area

c.
An area where the realtor or current owner wouldn't have an issue living there himself/herself

4) Budget for lot:

a.
Lot should be under $40,000

Sorry but no way you're going to find a lot that meets all your requirements for $40K. A year ago or so I was looking around and found a handful of $70K innerloop 5000 sq ft lots in areas that I would feel comfortable living in, but most were $85K+. I think you will have to go outside your time/distance boundaries to find anything that cheap.

I can think of some neighborhoods inside the loop where you might be able to get a 5,000-square-foot lot for under $4 per square foot without being next to railroad tracks, but you would need to become comfortable with neighbors that few Realtors would be comfortable living near, much less even driving past on their way to work each morning.

I very strongly recommend that you look for vacant lots or teardowns in 77011, 77012, or 77021. If you can find something in a location that you like and the lot next door is vacant, then even if it isn't listed for sale, look up the owner and make an offer. Try to line up the purchase of both lots, each deal contingent upon you closing the other.

If you have to pay a little more than you thought, well that sucks. But if this is what you want, it's probably worth it. And I have a strong personal belief that these zip codes have bright futures, so if you have to come in a little overbudget at first, it'll probably be worth it down the line.

After talking with various realtors and searching HAR for days, I have updated my requirements for a lot (see below).

If someone knows of a property that may fit the below criteria please feel free to send me a PM...

Thanks!

Purpose for lot: Planning to build a modest house that will be around 1500 sq ft (not including the garage) with a nice size yard in order to insure there is "elbow" room between the neighbors and myself as well room for a very small vegetable garden.

Summary of lot Requirements:

1) Lot size MINIMUMS:

a.
Within the 610 Loop:
0.25 acres
(10,890 sq ft) (if it has a view of the city skyline or in a very nice old neighborhood, I
may
consider a slightly smaller lot)

b.
Outside the 610 loop BUT within the beltway:
0.5 acres
(21,780 sq ft)

c.
Outside the beltway:
1.0 acres
(43,560 sq ft )

2) Lot location:

a.
NOT
near an airport

b.
NOT
near a large canal

c.
NOT
near large electrical power transmission line towers
d.
NOT
next to a railroad track

e.
Location should be within a
30 minute
drive time of downtown Houston, TX

3) Miscellaneous:

a.
Would prefer (but not required) an area with little or
no
home association fees

b.
Relatively low crime area

c.
An area where the realtor or current owner wouldn't have an issue living there himself/herself

4) Budget for lot:

a.
Lot should be under $40,000

Pretty much described every reason that people have for living in Friendswood. Except the price. 1/3 acre for ~20K. 1/2 acre for 55K.