What agency would I contact to report a station selling bad fuel?

JLWM8609

I would think it would be the Texas Department of Agriculture, but I'm not certain. I ask this because my diesel powered car is in the shop right now with what seems to be injector nailing problems, resulting in rough idle, white smoke, and loss of power. I haven't tried an additive in the fuel tank yet because I don't know if that would fix the problem. Cheap fixes like that rarely work when it comes to fuel system problems such as dirty injectors, and when they appear to work in those cases, they really serve more as band-aids than a solid fix.

I'm having my mechanic check the fuel system out. It could be one of two things. As I mentioned before, either I have a dirty injector or injectors causing a poor spray pattern for which a cleaning, new nozzles and a pop test would fix, or I have some bad fuel in the tank containing too much water, which would explain the white smoke, and would be one of the rare problems repairable by an additive.

I also just switched fuel brands over the past 3 tankfuls, but I've switched brands of diesel back and forth over the years without issue, and this is the first time it's happened to my car. Not to say that it can't happen though. If there is water in my fuel, there's only one station where it could've come from. If that should be the case, what state agency would I report it to?

Edited by JLWM8609

If the station is a larger brand they will have a 1-800 number listed at the site as well. Definitely call them and report the incident. Make sure to keep your receipt. I work in the retail fueling business for a large international oil company and can tell you this happens more than you would think. If you report it they will self test and if they find a bad product they will pay for your repairs. We pay pretty quickly and without much hassel. By reporting it you may also be saving other drivers from having the same problem.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Make sure to keep your receipt. I work in the retail fueling business for a large international oil company and can tell you this happens more than you would think.

I've been taught to get a receipt every time I buy fuel because such things may happen. I keep a logbook and everything. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens.