Are there any numbered county roads left in Harris Co.?

I'm just curious, as I was in some rural areas of Texas last weekend. I haven't been around all parts of Harris County, but I'm just curious to know if there are any numbered county roads left in the area. Going down 288 into Brazoria County, you probably go less than 5 miles from the Houston City Limits before you come across your first numbered county road. But that's Brazoria county. I would think that Harris County is so urbanized by now that all roads have "real" names and all roads, maintained by either the counties or municipalities are now paved. Am I right in my assumption?

OK, I found this address in Houston for a CR 129 over on the Eastside of town.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

1923 County Road 129

Houston, TX 77001

Eh! It's been named Villo rd. now. I also took the time to look up all CRs in Harris county, Tx. There are none apparently.

Here ya go, Have fun !!! I didn't.

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/publications/tr...ounty_roads.pdf

Edited by TJones

• 2 months later...
FM1960 should be renamed.

Fun fact: 1960 used to be a one lane dirt road called Jackrabbit Road :o

I think some parts of FM 1960 are still called Jackrabbit Rd.

Also, FM 1960 is no longer the highway's official name. Back in the mid 90s, the internal designation of FM 1960 was changed to UR 1960 (Urban Road) since it is no longer a rural road. But TxDOT decided to leave all of the FM 1960 signage as is since the name change would require massive sign and address changes.

I think some parts of FM 1960 are still called Jackrabbit Rd.

Also, FM 1960 is no longer the highway's official name. Back in the mid 90s, the internal designation of FM 1960 was changed to UR 1960 (Urban Road) since it is no longer a rural road. But TxDOT decided to leave all of the FM 1960 signage as is since the name change would require massive sign and address changes.

Well its still FM 1960 on maps too, so it seems that the name change is just a technicality.

I'm just curious, as I was in some rural areas of Texas last weekend. I haven't been around all parts of Harris County, but I'm just curious to know if there are any numbered county roads left in the area. Going down 288 into Brazoria County, you probably go less than 5 miles from the Houston City Limits before you come across your first numbered county road. But that's Brazoria county. I would think that Harris County is so urbanized by now that all roads have "real" names and all roads, maintained by either the counties or municipalities are now paved. Am I right in my assumption?

All of Brazoria county's roads are named now. They are all Airline-Ft Bend something, according to google maps. I will search for some official docs to confirm.

• 1 month later...

I was going down Almeda Rd. last week just inside BW8 and saw a dirt road presumably maintained by the COH called Ward St. I say presumably because it had COH signage on Almeda denoting the road name, but while Almeda may lie in the city proper at that intersection, the rest of Ward St. may not lie in Houston. It's not a county road as I was asking about in the original post of this thread, but I thought it was interesting to see a dirt road seemingly passed by progress over while other roads got nice layers of asphalt.

Edited by JLWM8609