The Revitalization Of N. Montrose

uhlaw09

Second Hand Knowledge - The design of the bridge has been selected. I think it was a German team that won. I'm not sure of the exact location of the bridge, but I would bet that it's near Montrose. This is about halfway between DT & RO. Think of the Southwest Freeway, where Montrose was described as the "Flagship Bridge". Whatever.

The way the design was described to me is that it appears as a spiral. Obviously, you can't ride a bike on a spiral. Use your imagination.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I'd really like to know where this is going to be / what it's going to look like.

Ditto...Can we get a tentative release date or something..

I honestly don't know anything other than it's in the planning & development stage. I know it's part of the City's TIRZ program. That would make it TIRZ #5 (Memorial Heights). The City's website references Knudson & Associates where I found this article. http://www.knudsonservices.com/en/art/?22 There's no mention of a ped-bridge though.

Got this from the city:

Thank you for contacting the Houston Parks and Recreation Department and for your interest in improved access to the Buffalo Bayou Linear Park area. Yes a pedestrian bridge crossing Memorial Drive that would allow access to the linear park along Buffalo Bayou. The project is one that the Memorial Heights TIRZ (Tax Increment Redevelopment Zone) is working on and involves the bridge from the old railroad crossing just east of the Montrose/Studemont Bridge. There is a 2

sounds like it goes to buffalo bayou park, not to allen parkway.

It does. An earlier poster spoke of one going over the bayou itself too, which I think would be great. If you get all the way downtown and cross the bayou, on the way back toward Shepherd the only shortcut back across is by walking the 18" sidewalk on Memorial which is a little frightening. So I guess this means we need about 3 new bridges.

Got this from the city:

Thank you for contacting the Houston Parks and Recreation Department and for your interest in improved access to the Buffalo Bayou Linear Park area. Yes a pedestrian bridge crossing Memorial Drive that would allow access to the linear park along Buffalo Bayou. The project is one that the Memorial Heights TIRZ (Tax Increment Redevelopment Zone) is working on and involves the bridge from the old railroad crossing just east of the Montrose/Studemont Bridge. There is a 2

Yeah, a bridge across Allen P.Way at Waugh would be great, b/c there's already a bridge along Waugh that crosses Memorial and leads into Cleveland Park. However,

"A Bridge to Bridge Connection" just may be too much to ask for from Dunlavy/Allen P.Way to the now existing bridge at Memorial/Waugh..

After looking at a map, if the message above is correct this is going to be a pretty squatty bridge:

Wide: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...1&encType=1

Zoomed-in: http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...1&encType=1

And the only purpose it will serve will be to allow Memorial Heights residents to get to the parks on the North side of the Bayou and back. No doubt there is a demand for that, but this would be very underwhelming if true. Basically this would be a smaller version of the Jackson Hill bridge over Memorial.

• The title was changed to The Revitalization Of N. Montrose

Archived